1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Looks gd.
Did u powder coat this.
@ what cost
Not powder - he said Krylon.

You really don't need to cook it for 3 hours though. 1/2 hour should do it. You are just force-drying it, not improving it in any way by heating.

Powder will typically cost about $100 for the front peg brackets (with levers) and rear brackets with pegs. That would include stripping and media blasting.

Does look like you got a nice finish on them. The advantage to blasting and powder coating will be the durability. Powder won't wear as quickly or chip/scratch anywhere near as easy as even the best 2-part pro paint.

Generally, you don't want to use an oven to cure paint or powder that is used for food.

Jay

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This paint holds up for years. I did the same to my Ninja 250.

Clean with purple power, paint, and bake. That's it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For the first timers out there (me) could you please post a few more details of process, any prep. or priming, any top/clear coat etc.
I am obviously thinking of doing myself, also looking into costs of powder coating. Wanting to do pegs and wheels, figured I'd try small first (pegs) see if i like result, if i screw it up can always powder later.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
heelplates get so scuffed up from riding I would have thought? mine have done 1700km and worn nicely.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the first timers out there (me) could you please post a few more details of process, any prep. or priming, any top/clear coat etc.
1. Remove parts from bike
2. Clean with strong deagreaser
3. Dry
4. 2 coats Krylon Satin
5. Let dry overnight
6. Cut and bend 4 pieces of coat hanger in to hangers for oven rack
7. Bake in oven
8. Let cool and install

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
This paint holds up for years. I did the same to my Ninja 250.

Clean with purple power, paint, and bake. That's it.
You should always sand/scuff to dull the original paint before repainting.

It will last for a while if done properly, but it will not have anywhere near the durability of powder. I've worked with both paint and powder extensively.

Jay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks good. I am going to paint mine as well. What is the purpose of the oven? What does that do for the process? You used regular krylon spray paint for this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
the left side of the bike, did you just unbolt the passenger foot stand and leave off? is it even noticable anything was there?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the left side of the bike, did you just unbolt the passenger foot stand and leave off? is it even noticable anything was there?
On the left, there's a small bracket on the frame. I put black metric cap screws from Lowes/Home Depot 8x1.25x25 put oil on them or they will rust.

On the right, same thing but the brake reservoir in there. It's ugly. I made plate from street sign, painted it, and put my school parking decal on it.

Bake in the painted parts in oven to speed curing. You don't want the paint soft when you put them on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
may be a stupid question but, acrylic enamel vs regular enamel any pros and cons?

·
Registered
29 Posts
How exactly did the parts that are hooked to these come off? I just have taken a quick look but do they pull off, or is there a certain order and way I have to unhook what's connected to these parts???

·
Registered
282 Posts
I unbolted step from bike first to give better access to springs and C clip in behind.

·
Registered
29 Posts
the right side heel plate

Do I simply unbolt it as I did the left side or is there an order i have to unhook all the different lines that seem to fit into this one? Not the best at this stuff but doesnt mean i'm not going to try. left side seems so much more simple to take off and put back on....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts