Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have this gap on one side of the axle someone please tell me if it’s normal I noticed in the group that someone has posted about this before but no real answers
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Alloy wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

·
Registered
344 Posts
can you draw an arrow pointing to this gap?
take axle apart and lay parts in order
it's optical illusion, there is no gap

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
324 Posts
please tell me if it’s normal
YES It's NORMAL

When you tightening the axle you should pay attention to the tightening order:
  • First tighten the main axle nut on the right (In your picture on the left)
  • And at the end shake the handlebars up and down then tightening the small screw of the clamp on the front left (In your picture on the right).
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Wood Tool Hand tool Metal Household hardware

·
Registered
344 Posts
Here's related thread with more info from manual.

Note that left & right fork-ends attach to axle differently:

RIGHT - clamps fork-end axially between axle-nut and spacer. Fork-end and axle are now one fixed unit.

LEFT - does not use spacer for locating or clamping. Bouncing forks up & down centres fork-slider over fork-tube. THEN axle is held in place radially by fork-end pinch-bolt. There is no lateral/axial clamping like on other side

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's related thread with more info from manual.

Note that left & right fork-ends attach to axle differently:

RIGHT - clamps fork-end axially between axle-nut and spacer. Fork-end and axle are now one fixed unit.

LEFT - does not use spacer for locating or clamping. Bouncing forks up & down centres fork-slider over fork-tube. THEN axle is held in place radially by fork-end pinch-bolt. There is no lateral/axial clamping like on other side
So it is normal like that?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just feel how unsafe that is if the bolts aren’t tight you axle comes right out lol
You'd have to have both left pinch-bolt AND right axle-bolt be loose for axle to move anywhere.

Some bikes have fork-end pinch bolts on both sides.

Some bikes have only ONE axle-nut on one end. Like rear-axle

Never, ever heard of anyone having problems with loose front axle. And I worked in bike-shoppe for 10-yrs and saw A LOT of bikes! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never, ever heard of anyone having problems with loose front axle. And I worked in bike-shoppe for 10-yrs and saw A LOT of bikes! :)
I've ridden on a bike with a loose front axle and pinch bolts, loose as the bike had been taken apart then put back together without being properly finished by the previous owner. It felt a little off, I couldn't pinpoint it until I started checking the bolts. Both front brake calipers and some engine mounting bolts were loose as well. Also my dad has forgotten to tighten pinch bolts on one side, and they fell out. Other than assembly errors though, never seen it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts