Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm not a master mechanic but holy cow! What gives with the front fender assembly? I was going to remove it to paint it Spencer Blue (I have the tricolor and the red fender is just bugging' me!) and the Allen head bolts are easy enough to remove. But what gives with the rearmost nuts and bolt assembly? Heavy duty assembly to hold the reflectors on? Hard to get a good purchase on the inboard and outboard bolts, and even with the appropriate tools the nuts are already stripping.

So - I'm either painting the front fender in place (probably not that big a deal after the newspaper and masking tape go into place) or I'm going to vise-grip the bolts and replace them after painting.

Just had to vent - wonder if anyone else has had this same problem?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and apparently the "delete thread" option is not available to me....so here's hoping some nice moderator / admin person will delete the other two identical threads I started in error here!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I bought a extra front fender ($14.90 @ cyclepartsnation.com) to repaint Blue as well. Strange that those bolts were that difficult to remove. I guess I'll find out when I go to swap the fenders out. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yep mine were really hard to get off also. Based on the bolts ive removed on my cbr. i'm going to have to say not all there torque wrenches were working correctly. some loose some overly tight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
glad to know it's not just me.

Motomike, you had mentioned the blue fender a while ago....I'm thinking I'm going to leave it in place and paint it. If it were a larger piece I'd really want to remove it, but as it's a pretty limited part, and by the looks of it easy to mask off from the rest, I think i'll just leave it in place.

I have the ColorRite spray for Spencer Blue, along with a primer can and one of the clear coat. Some fine steel wool for a little surface prep and, I think, I'm ready to go. Have to be away for several days later in the month, so I think I'll prime/paint/clearcoat it then, and leave it alone for several days to cure without getting rained on.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I never has issues, Are you using a metric allen head on the bolts?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine were very tight but the head of the bolt (inside of guard) needs an 8mm spanner while the nut uses a 10mm spanner. Maybe the bolt was just turning if you were using the wrong size? Thats all I can think of.:confused:

·
Registered
329 Posts
it is 1cm difference in the front...

honestly I don't know, but feel like in the 125 the fender seems bigger, probably it's the same piece.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, good suggestions and advice everyone. Yes, I have the right metrics. And I agree, thinking it through more, the fender really does need to come off for painting.

I'll post a pic once it's done.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
+1
what I can suggest, the tricolor cbr 125 has the front fender in blue, already.
Maybe it fits.
Even if it is a direct bolt on to the 250, for those of us in the USA, the blue CBR125 fender would have to be imported. I can imagine that would cost a small fortune by the time you get it on your bike. Cheaper to repaint the stock 250 fender. I bought a second fender to repaint, so that I would have no down time in terms of riding the bike while the multiple coats dry. I was shocked that the red fender was only $15.00 USD!!! The White body cowl's are dirt cheap as well for the Tri-Color. That makes it possible for color changes, while keeping the original stock parts for resale.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Even if it is a direct bolt on to the 250, for those of us in the USA, the blue CBR125 fender would have to be imported.
I apologize, forgot in the US there is this little issue.
BTW, in Europe we don't get the red/silver (it's a pity).

I agree with you with blue painting the front fender!
Here I say: whatever works!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Mine were very tight but the head of the bolt (inside of guard) needs an 8mm spanner while the nut uses a 10mm spanner. Maybe the bolt was just turning if you were using the wrong size? Thats all I can think of.:confused:
Definitely 8mm wrench for the hex head bolt inside the fender(a long box end wrench is the way to go), and 10mm socket for the reflector bracket nut. I just now removed the front reflectors, and the nuts and bolts were fairly tight. Looks far better without the reflectors(I don't ride at night). I removed the lic. plate bracket w/ reflectors as well, when I got my plate. Had the bike been equipped with tassels on the handle bars, they would've had to go too.:eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I apologize, forgot in the US there is this little issue.
BTW, in Europe we don't get the red/silver (it's a pity).

I agree with you with blue painting the front fender!
Here I say: whatever works!
Canada has the CBR125RS, available in the Repsol livery. I'd buy one of those, I think it would be a fun track bike. Inexpensive too... A dealer in Montreal was selling them for $3500.00 CND, out the door. Can't beat that price with a stick. Still, I imagine it would cost a fair amount to bring one into the US, with customs duties, taxes and fees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts