Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So hopefully I will be getting my CBR250 soon, but I've been seeing and hearing reports of crazy good gas milage on the CBR250 and I would like to know how you guys do it and how much you get. What kind of gas do you use? How hard do you go on the throttle etc etc.

So yeah leave comments here! Cause I want better gas milage!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
.there's several different threads in here already on that exact subject...but I dont mind repeating myself especially when it comes to the cbr so here goes..

I get around 80mpg keeping rpms under 5k..thats usually 30-45 mph on country back roads...running hwy speeds 55-65 mph 6k-8k rpms gets me around 60mph.....a mix of the 2 together in one day and I usually average anywhere from 70- to 75 mpg....i just use regula 87 octane gas..tried the premium and and couldnt tell one bit of difference except for paying a dollar more to fill up.....

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
It gets 49 USMPG worst case scenario, so cheap to run.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't hold back on mine at all. Pittsburgh hills = regularly full throttle on the highway, and lots of revving all the time. 135 pounds in full gear...usually get around 65 mpg. Incredible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
riding position and throttle work will greatly effect fuel economy. While one person at fuelly reports 261 mpg most seem to hover around 60 and I bet if you look at their riding style you will understand why it is lower than the EPA estimate of 77mpg.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For the CBR250R, at a pretty steady 72km/hr (45 mph) along rural country roads in 5th gear:

105.5 mpg (88 mpg U.S.)

At a steady 103 km/hr (65 mph) cruise on the highway in 6th gear (not tucked in) and carrying a full load of camping gear with saddlebags and tailbag:

81 mpg (68 mpg U.S.)

Riding on a route that includes a mixture of highway riding and some rural (90 km/hr or 55 mph) riding.

88 mpg (73 mpg U.S.)

I weigh about 220 lbs with all of my gear on.

Mike

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It gets 49 USMPG worst case scenario, so cheap to run.
WOW Aufitt...how in the world do you get 49mpg on this cbr? I am guessing if you averaged that you must have kept the revs high on lower gears for a long time?...lots of city riding or twisties every day?.....when i am riding the dragons tail or the snake or other mountain twisties for recreation I use engine braking alot so no surprise those days are my worst mpg averages...59 mpg was my worst ever..and that was like my 2nd or 3rd fillup....the mpg average is like a fine wine...seems to improve with age on the CBR250R because i havent come close to that again since

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
WOW Aufitt...how in the world do you get 49mpg on this cbr? I am guessing if you averaged that you must have kept the revs high on lower gears for a long time?...lots of city riding or twisties every day?.....when i am riding the dragons tail or the snake or other mountain twisties for recreation I use engine braking alot so no surprise those days are my worst mpg averages...59 mpg was my worst ever..and that was like my 2nd or 3rd fillup....the mpg average is like a fine wine...seems to improve with age on the CBR250R because i havent come close to that again since
Holding it flatout for 500km and 4 hrs at 152- 163kph ALL the way on a deserted highway in rural region. even saw 167kph (INDICATED for you speedo error junkies) on a long downhill section
(with my mouth held the right way, the wind behind me, the gods smiling, and the planets all aligned) .. a new top speed record for my bike, Sendler would be proud.. man was I tucking haha.

This^ is why my engine runs so well, and does not not rattle.

My ECU is now trained :D

Its worse economy than the 4.7 litres/100km on the track where the speeds are slower.

·
Registered
107 Posts
when i am riding the dragons tail or the snake or other mountain twisties for recreation I use engine braking alot so no surprise those days are my worst mpg averages...59 mpg was my worst ever..and that was like my 2nd or 3rd fillup....the mpg average is like a fine wine...seems to improve with age on the CBR250R because i havent come close to that again since

Sounds like 80-85% of my daily commute (I live in the mountains, so its all twisties except the last couple miles).

As for getting better with time the breakin period does 2 things to the moving parts. The friction polishes them which decreases friction slightly over time but also, providing you vary RPMs during this period (which will naturally happen but long trips at a constant RPM are not as good) it will cause the parts to fit together better. You want a good fitmet and polish to get the most out of the engine. It makes sense that it gets better after running a few tanks through it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I beginning to see a very different way to how most American posters use the the bike to others.. You guys bought it to save money on gas mileage and we bought it to HAVE a blast.. That's why there is a difference in mileage. you guys are saving it..We don't care because it's still good on gas even when your giving it the beans.
Just my opinion as so many seem to be saying.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I beginning to see a very different way to how most American posters use the the bike to others.. You guys bought it to save money on gas mileage and we bought it to HAVE a blast.. That's why there is a difference in mileage. you guys are saving it..We don't care because it's still good on gas even when your giving it the beans.
Seems similar attitude to their powerful yet ill handling cars thus the cry of 'The cbr cannot accelerate out of trouble etc threads' fmd it does 100mph, plenty fast enough to get in trouble and still get 50+mpg while doing so.

And they have some of the cheapest fuel in the world.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a blast saving money. 40 years ago I didn't care and burned through 100 gallons a week, at 32 cents a gallon. Now I care and burn through maybe 3 gallons a week on my bikes. 815 miles in January at an average 67 MPG combined on my CBR and Vulcan 500.

Another nice day today, guess I'll ride 40 miles today for $1.65 US.

Might even stop at the bank and get some of that money I am not spending on fuel and take the wife to dinner tonight :D.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a blast saving money. 40 years ago I didn't care and burned through 100 gallons a week, at 32 cents a gallon. Now I care and burn through maybe 3 gallons a week on my bikes. 815 miles in January at an average 67 MPG combined on my CBR and Vulcan 500.

Another nice day today, guess I'll ride 40 miles today for $1.65 US.

Might even stop at the bank and get some of that money I am not spending on fuel and take the wife to dinner tonight :D.

regards
Badger
source..Licensed Drivers - Our Nation's Highways - 2000

"There were 190,625,023 licensed drivers in the United States in 2000"

What with your and my figures ....no wonder the world is running out of oil:)

A pity drivers and US car manufacturers in the States didn't look more at efficiency 20-30 years ago and not just size and power......:D

In the UK and Europe we could see it coming so went efficient. Funny thing was it was American companies with some of the best cars.(Ford, Vauxhaul / Opel)... they could do it.
But they knew the American general public driver would not go for it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
But they knew the American general public driver would not go for it.
Companies build what sells. Harley Davidson is the number one selling bike maker in the US. What is their fleet average? 35mpg? Average selling price? $15,000? Until gas pricing in the US is carbon taxed to $9.00/ gallon like everywhere else in the world, not too many in the US will even know there is a need for a change let alone act on it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I was bike shopping, mileage was not one of my criteria, because I knew that no matter what, I'd be doing better than in my car.

That being said, my Aprilia SR50 got 100 mpg and my CBR250R gets at least 65--both of those figures are for high-revving, extremely spirited riding. Happy coincidence.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts