Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to start another endless thread and not advocating their use one way or the other but I came across this site with some good information on stabilizing ethanol fuel. I have a number of bikes and always have a couple or so under storage so I have an interest in these products as I'm sure others in a similar situation do. What was good in the old days isn't necessarily good with the fuels we're using now. This is about stabilizers and not fuel system cleaners, totally different things.

Is your gas additive safe with E10 fuel?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent a whole day reading up on fuel in stored vehicles and ended up deciding that Stabil is still the best bang for the buck and more than adequate for 4 months at a time.
+1 Same conclusion I came to.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Stabil here as well.

Seafoam claims to be a stabilizer as well as a fuel system cleaner, but I tend to use it as a cleaner only. That, or Techron Concentrate.

I've never had any fuel issues after using gas with Stabil in it, but 2 friends (both mechanics) don't like it. Never understood why.

I always add the recommended amount of Stabil near the end of the season when I fill up the cycle, then at the very end of the season I top the tank with a gas can I have for my snowblower that's already mixed with Stabil. Every gas can gets Stabil before filling. Fresh 87 w/o Ethanol for everything. I also add about 2 or 3 oz of 2-stroke oil to the gas in the cycle before storing. Never had any running issues in spring. After running the storage gas, on the next tank I'll add 1 oz per gal of Techron or Seafoam each season.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I use Sta-bil in the boat, and still would not run ethanol in anything, attracts moisture and has a much shorter shelf life.
Its the only reason I run 95ron instead of 91ron, (and 98 is too high)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Gas stations without ethanol are very few around here and none of them are convenient so I use Sta-bil in both my motorcycle and riding mower if its gonna be sitting for more than a couple weeks as well as a couple cap fulls of Marvel mystery Oil at fill ups as a fuel system cleaner...was planning on using Seafoam since it did the work of both..but its not easy to find in these parts..looks like I'll just stick with what I'm using now

·
Registered
3 Posts
I filled E20 or E85 sometimes because GAL91 or Gasohol 95 in thailand is very expensive .( Thailand don't have GAL97 or 95 )

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have used stabil in carbed bikes but havent in my last 2 fuel injected bikes.
At least for me, the bike is stored in a temp controlled garage so there is no
worry about condensation.

The Honda fuel system is a sealed system. So if you keep gas cap on you are not adding moisture.

I use only Chevron 94 (in every bike from 50cc-150cc-500cc scooters and now CBR) which is ethanol free. I always try to ride the bike atleast once per month to burn off old gas and top up with fresh. Luckily winters are generally mild out here so i can get out and ride.

so in the last 5yrs i have only used stabil once. If i knew i couldnt ride for more than 2 months or more then i think stabil would be a good idea.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought a smashed car, and fixed it, that had not run in almost a year. Started and ran fine with 1 year old 10% ethanol, which is the only thing you can get here. Sealed evaporative emissions control systems keep moisture out.

While I am not really an advocate of alcohol in fuel, since there is nothing else available here, you have to learn to live with it.

It works fine in my 40 year old CB350, with new fuel hoses, as well as the Vulcan 500, both carbed, and runs fine in the CBR. If any bike sits long enough to worry about, I just drain the fuel tank and put it in the car, then put fresh gas in the bike and run it long enough to get the oil hot.

A 35X21 foot garage also helps, not heated but it is under the house and seldom goes below 50 degrees.

When the stations here went to E10 they had to flush their tanks with something to clean them out so the E10 would not break loose the stuff and get it into peoples cars and bikes. No problems with water in your fuel with E10 since the alcohol emulsifies with the water, so it doesn't collect on the bottom of your tank.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I bought a smashed car, and fixed it, that had not run in almost a year. Started and ran fine with 1 year old 10% ethanol, which is the only thing you can get here. Sealed evaporative emissions control systems keep moisture out.

While I am not really an advocate of alcohol in fuel, since there is nothing else available here, you have to learn to live with it.

It works fine in my 40 year old CB350, with new fuel hoses, as well as the Vulcan 500, both carbed, and runs fine in the CBR. If any bike sits long enough to worry about, I just drain the fuel tank and put it in the car, then put fresh gas in the bike and run it long enough to get the oil hot.

A 35X21 foot garage also helps, not heated but it is under the house and seldom goes below 50 degrees.

When the stations here went to E10 they had to flush their tanks with something to clean them out so the E10 would not break loose the stuff and get it into peoples cars and bikes. No problems with water in your fuel with E10 since the alcohol emulsifies with the water, so it doesn't collect on the bottom of your tank.

regards
Badger
I don't think that's the case. Ethanol contains and holds water, and makes rusting at the bottom of the tank happen faster than without.

I hate Ethanol in gas. No (good) reason for it, and it does nothing good for anything in the fuel system.

EDIT: Links with more info - http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fuel_disadvantages.html , http://www.fuel-testers.com/manufacturer_e10_warnings.html

Jay

·
Registered
175 Posts
Unfortunately, in the area where I live, all gasoline contains 10% ethanol and has for years. When they took MTBE out of fuel, it was replaced with 5% ethanol and later went to 10%. I have 9 bikes which are stored from late October to the middle of April. On the carburated ones, I drain the floats bowls. I fill the tanks right to the top of the filler neck so no air can get into the tank through the vent. I also use Honda fuel conditioner/stabilizer which contains isoprophyl alcohol. No rusted tanks or other issues as of yet. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I also use Honda fuel conditioner/stabilizer which contains isoprophyl alcohol. No rusted tanks or other issues as of yet. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.
All of the old school "dry gas" additives had alcohol in them. More recently the emphasis has shifted to stabilizing the fuel from oxidation and gumming during storage. Why add more alcohol to the alcohol that is already in there if you are filling with E10?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Here's a link (Is your gas additive safe with E10 fuel?) that feliz posted earlier in this thread that lists a lot of stabilizers and their ingredients.

Stabil is listed as not containing alcohol.

Keeping as much alcohol as possible out of the tank is a good idea IMO. Stabil also makes a treatment product for Ethanol fuel. Not sure what it claims to do.

During storage, in addition to Ethanol-free gas and stabilizer, I add a few ounces of 2-stoke oil to the full tank, just for good measure.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Unfortunately, in the area where I live, all gasoline contains 10% ethanol and has for years. When they took MTBE out of fuel, it was replaced with 5% ethanol and later went to 10%. I have 9 bikes which are stored from late October to the middle of April. On the carburated ones, I drain the floats bowls. I fill the tanks right to the top of the filler neck so no air can get into the tank through the vent. I also use Honda fuel conditioner/stabilizer which contains isoprophyl alcohol. No rusted tanks or other issues as of yet. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed.
not sure where you are in BC but in the Vancouver area (Lower Mainland)
all Chevron 94 is ethanol free. Same for Shell 91 and even some Costco gas
Ethanol-free gas stations in BC

according to Shell

"Current provincial legislations requires that gasoline sold in certain provinces contain an average of 5 percent fuel ethanol, on an annual basis. This allows refiners and the marketplace to determine where it will be sold. V-Power, our premium grade gasoline, doesn't contain any ethanol. Silver, our mid grade gasoline, contains approximately 5% fuel ethanol, and bronze approximately 10%, where Shell markets ethanol-blended gasoline.

Shell is committed to providing customers with reliable supplies of high-quality fuels at competitive prices. Part of Shell’s offer of high-quality fuels includes providing customers with choices. This way, we are offering customers a choice about what they use to fuel their vehicles while still meeting Government regulations."

i still see on the pump at Chevron 94 "contains no ethanol" I would be pissed if regulations allowed them to sneak in 5% ethanol but still be able to call it ethanol free.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the info. I now live in the Kootenays and only have access to Esso, and Mohawk in my immediate area. I have not had any issues with the fuel around here, other than the reduction in power and the resulting loss in fuel economy when they went to Ethanol. Not so big a deal with bikes, but in my truck it is really noticeable.
I think I will change to a different stabilizer that does not contain iso alcohol. The rest I have no control over.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I called all the gas companies in my area which is Vancouver and Esso, Shell, and Petro Can all told me their 91 grade did not contain Ethanol and in fact came from the same refinery. I fueled up the CBR today with 91 ethanol free gas, at least the pump said it was ethanol free. It's obviously different in different areas, I called the distributors a few months ago and things may have changed since then.

The reason I posted the link in my original post was to let people know that using an alcohol based fuel stabilizor with ethanol fuel is a no-no.

Edit: Here's a link to a sight that apparently lists all the available sources of ethanol free gas in NA. It looks as though Esso and Petro Can no longer suppply 91 ethanol free in my area.

http://pure-gas.org/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts