Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not sure i get it... the full exhaust is from the headers to the back, and slip on is from where the pipe connects? What is the pro and cons?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, you are correct. I'll try to be as succinct as possible:

A full exhaust kit, when proper R&D is applied, will provide a larger gain than a slip-on. This is especially true when the stock piping is restrictive. However, with full systems that use large diameter pipes, it's quite often the case that high-rpm performance is increased at the expense of low-end torque. It's also more expensive than a slip-on, and sometimes the difference is negligible in real-world riding, making it unworthy of the cost.

Ask yourself: which do I value more, low-end power for stop-and-go riding, or high-end power for all out racetrack performance? Is it even worth spending hundreds of dollars for a minute power gain?

Loosely speaking, less restriction = more power. Of course, things are more complicated than that; you should Google "exhaust back-pressure" or "exhaust scavenging" if you're interested in the topic. Car resources are fine because the physics are all the same.

There are also issues of fuel mapping and tuning, which exponentially complicate things. There are forum threads about resetting the ECU, though I'm not sure if a consensus has been reached. You should keep in mind that Honda does more research in developing a balance in exhaust performance, whereas an aftermarket product may not be so carefully engineered.

I went with a GP-style slip-on (M4 Street Slayer), more for the weight savings than anything else. I was shocked to feel how heavy the stock muffler was.

This post was brought to you by our sponsor: me being bored at work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Poly's post sounds reasonably well-informed, and my comparison of Dyno charts from the 2 Brothers website backs him up. I bring up 2 Brothers as they are it seems one of the more well-regarded exhaust manufacturers to offer both full exhaust and slip-on systems for the CBR250R as well as honest-seeming dyno charts for all of those configurations.

Compare the Full Exhaust M2 chart here to the Slip-On M2 system chart (I chose the comparison without either power tip or Juice Box). Of course 2 Brothers had to be all cagey and drop the Torque comparison chart from their Full Exhaust data (which is possibly telling data in and of itself) as well as change the chart dimensions between them so it takes a discerning eye to really glean info from this whole thing. Long story short: It's basically a wash. Considering the bike at question, there seems to be very little that the full system will do for you that the slip-on will not.

I'll be getting a slip-on of some sort when I'm comfortable doing so (probably after christmas having chased down the last 100 or so miles to my 600 mile initial tune-up) but as Poly said mostly for the weight savings and without expecting much more then an extra horse and a half. Just a little boost to help me reach cruising speed on the highway in a more comfortable fashion, all I really need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts