Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are in the market for new comm systems and wondered if any of you have any experience with the newer systems. Any that really stand out or any budget picks that are a really great value? Our critera are the must be able to pair with our cells and they must be able to stream music wirelessly. Clarity of speech is the number one Priority.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Sena SMH10. Bluetooth, make and take phone calls, listen to music, can pair up to 4 riders for communication up to 1000 ft. Very clear and love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just ordered one of these today. I will share my findings about it when I test it out. Probably not what your looking for. I like that it can be clipped on a sleeve and to be able to see the buttons to switch tracks and answer calls. I would say the only downside would be that the mic is in the remote. So if attached to the sleeve I would need to hold my wrist to the the front of my helmet to speak. I bought these because they were cheap and got really good ratings. Worst case scenario for me would be to use them outside of riding which really isn't a bad thing for me.

Amazon.com: Black Silver Original Samsung HS3000 Universal Clip-On Stereo Bluetooth Headset BHS3000NBACSTA (non retail packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interested in what people like and what they don't like here. Not as interested in comms as I am in getting some tunes for those long rides. One bummer to the motorcycle compared to my other vehicles -- siriusXM subscription going to waste. ;)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
in the market for new comm systems .
The Sena gets great reviews. I have the Cardo G4 based OEM system for my Schuberth helmet which is nice as there is no box hanging on the outside of the helmet. It works perfect for voice and I am surprised how much talking we did and how much better the riding experience is with a comm between bikes. Much safer too as we can work together better in traffic and around hazards.
Music is good with it but I am spoiled by the noise isolation and sound quality of my in ear canal phones running straight out of my phone. I will probably mod the Cardo to allow a plug in jack to switch between using the speakers or a set of in ear phones for longer rides. The blutooth eats my phone battery really quick too.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Interested in what people like and what they don't like here. Not as interested in comms as I am in getting some tunes for those long rides. One bummer to the motorcycle compared to my other vehicles -- siriusXM subscription going to waste. ;)
I use in ear canal phones plugged into my phone. Get some that lay flush with the ear like the discontinued Shure 2Ce. Check out headroom. I might try a pair of UE350 next for a spare.
Ultimate Ears UE350 / HeadRoom Audio

·
Registered
540 Posts
There are "cubbyholes" in my helmet for real speakers, which I'd prefer. I don't like the little earbud things.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I use in ear monitors for music (and soon comm) and for the hearing protection they provide. Any motorcycle without a full sized touring wind screen allows noise levels at your ear during highway travel that are high enough to eventually cause permanent hearing loss. Always use ear plugs, or in ear monitors, when you ride even if you are listening to music.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I know nothing about them except my mate and his girl came and visited last weekend, they had the Senna and loved em, they were on a 2000km tour and he even phoned me clear as day (on a loud ducati) and they said it was crystal clear chat between them as well.
Range up to 1km.

Took a while to charge is all I noticed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was pretty much sold on the new Scala G9, but now am somewhat reconsidering the Sena SMH10, largely due to features vs price. Essentially all I want is intercom (between riders), ability to hear my GPS, music (maybe), and phone (although I'd rarely use it).

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah we are leaning towards the sena's also. Mostly from a cost/benefit ratio. Looks like they get as good or better reviews then the Cardo systems and run roughly $50-$75 less to boot! We will be ordering these this week so I will try to report back with how we like them.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a SENA dual pack for me a the lady and absolutely love them. The two button system is tough to beat! I've used the scala G4's quite a bit too and they're fine, but they've got too many buttons.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use in ear canal phones plugged into my phone. Get some that lay flush with the ear like the discontinued Shure 2Ce. Check out headroom. I might try a pair of UE350 next for a spare.
Ultimate Ears UE350 / HeadRoom Audio
I never ride without plugs. I am a audio engineer so i cant really afford to lose the hearing anymore than I already do. I'm really interested in a Com/bluetooth for my helmet but the idea of it seems counter productive. In order to hear speech or music you would need to pump the volume over top of the wind noise so you could hear it. Then your just driving crazy ear fatiguing frequencies all day. The ultimate ear only provide 15db of reduction at the frequencies I find most offensive. The low end rumble and wind coming off the fairings. Almost like a tearing sound. The ear plugs I wear are disposable and provide around 30DB reduction at 120-1K. Its so peaceful riding with them. Stress levels are way down. I have a lot more concentration. Occasionally I forget to put them in and I feel the stress almost immediately. I compare it to riding without gear on. You just dont feel right and your edgy and uncomfortable. So im not sure 15DB in the lows is enough protection plus your adding more sound. Although from the test I see they isolate very well from 1K up. So I guess my question is have you rode with just off the shelf ear plugs and how does it compare to UE350? How would they tie into a com system?
If i cant find something that works Im going to go with a pair of these for reduction.
http://www.earinc.com/p1-filtered-sonicvalve.php

these might be cool too
http://www.earinc.com/p2-specialty-racing.php

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
only provide 15db of reduction at the frequencies
Agree. Never ride faster than 50 mph without ear plugs.
You can't go by specs. In ear canal phones isolate just as much as ear plugs. You probably have an old set that you can try just playing music from your phone. mod whatever comm unit you buy so it has a female jack and plug in anything you want. If you need comm. If not just stick with your phone as a player. Hardwire sounds better than blutooth anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a set of Scala G4's with the full-face kit. I just purchased the set of two for under $200 as the dealer was clearing them out for the G9s.

The nice thing with the scala is that the speakers are easily loud enough to hear over earplugs. If you forget the earplugs, don't turn down the Scala and answer a call or start music your ears will regret it.

I also have used the Iasus GP2 throat microphone and speakers, but both me and the people I am talking to prefer the Scala's. I have not tried the Sena's though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright after ALOT of looking and comparing we have ordered the "NEW" sena SMH5 for $186.75 a pair vs $299.25 for the SMH10. They only have half the distance (1311' ish) of the SMH10's (2940') but they are considerably less expensive and other then the distance and a liitle worse batt life (8hrs vs 12 hrs) they are very similar. The SMH5 does not have VOX intercom's like the SMH10's do but it seems most didn't like that anyway on the 10's. Still can pair my smartphone to play music/get directions/answer phone. Will not be able to conference intercom with other riders (I guess this means you can not talk "party line" style) however you can link up to 4 riders total-just one on one at a time. On a cool note for other sena users it turns out you can pair the 5's to the 10's and vice versa. Once they arrive I will update the post. One other thing I found out about SENA is that they are really good about putting out firmware updates and they do carry a 2 year warranty is purchased through a authorized dealer.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The SMH5 does not have VOX intercom's like the SMH10's
I think you want VOX function for your comm. I don't know what the concerns with the Sena were but the Cardo VOX function works perfectly once you get up and riding. If you linger in the parking lot too long after pairing it will sleep and you have to press the button once more before talking which is a pain while riding. Once riding, the system stays ready for voice activated comm the whole time without pressing any buttons. "Watch out for that pot hole" isn't a good time to take your hand off of the bar. The VOX works perfectly. No missing part of words and very little live mic syndrome where the wind keeps it on which might waste the battery.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Agree. Never ride faster than 50 mph without ear plugs.
You can't go by specs. In ear canal phones isolate just as much as ear plugs. You probably have an old set that you can try just playing music from your phone. mod whatever comm unit you buy so it has a female jack and plug in anything you want. If you need comm. If not just stick with your phone as a player. Hardwire sounds better than blutooth anyway.
I ended up getting these without riding with them. However they do a great job of blocking out wind noise if inserted well.

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones (Cobalt): Electronics

They go in pretty deep and have a good seal.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts