Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better padded seat, with channels to allow some ventilation under the butt.

Made using medium density (recycled sheet) about 1" thick, topped with strips of low density (soft ) foam about 1" thick. The foam pictures were taken before final finishing and shaping. After using it, a small wedge was cut out of the medium density foam right at the end to improve the feel when sitting right back. The sightly increased width in front means that even if you slide slightly in front, the seat is still supportive.

The straps off centre on the rider seat may be removed in some time (I don't think they are doing their job of defining the ventilation groove too well)

Pictures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
that looks really comfortable, did an upholstery shop do that or did you do it?

Almost anything is a upgrade from OEM. Since i see it mounted on the bike in the last few pics, did you get a chance to test out the seat properly?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nice idea. I have heard some find the seat on the CBR250R a bit uncomfortable for a long haul.

Personally, the best solution I have found for touring on any bike is a piece of sheepskin.

It was an inspired moment when I saw a nice sized scrap, and bought it, a couple of hours before departing New Zealand once. That sheepskin off-cut made it like riding a magic carpet on my CB250RS when touring in Europe a few months later.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that looks really comfortable, did an upholstery shop do that or did you do it?

Almost anything is a upgrade from OEM. Since i see it mounted on the bike in the last few pics, did you get a chance to test out the seat properly?

I did a 350km trip after that. I felt that the rear end of the seat was a bit high, therefore I cut off a triangular wedge of the hard foam about 2" wide at the very end of the seat (else sitting right back was not the most comfortable). It feels better now, like you are sitting "in" the bike rather than "on" it.

The pillion LOVED her seat.

The pictures here are before the wedge was cut, even so, it's unlikely the small difference would show up on the photo anyways.

The upholstery was done by a professional seatmaker.

Total cost:

Foam: gratis (made from wastage, one of my neighbours has a furnishing shop).
Upholstery: About10 USD.
Time taken: About a full working day in all, start to finish, incl. initial shaping, then supervising the upholstery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts