Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running 93 (with that ethanol) in the CBR. I'm paying about $4.09 a gal for that. Question is this: I can obtain 90 without ethanol at about $3.99 a gal. What are you guys running in the bike, and would you rather run the higher octane with the ethanol, or the plus that doesn't have it in there?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You'll probably get a few more miles out of a tank with non ethanol fuel.

It is all a bit scientific, but ethanol has a lower calorific value than gasoline. In other words a gallon of gasoline stores more energy than a gallon of ethanol. Running under similar conditions pure gasoline will go further than a gallon of ethanol blend.

The octane rating is not a measure of how much power is available from fuel. It is a measure of the fuel's ability to resist "knock". High powered engines usually have a high compression ratio. It makes them more prone to "knocking", which can cause engine damage if excessive. That is why manufacturers specify high octane fuel for them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
in australia we have 91(with 10% ethanol) 95 and 98

I use shell V Power which is 98 here

In the end I pay an extra 15c per Liter and would rather the better fuel. 15c in 12L is only $1.80 more not going to break the bank.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
in australia we have 91(with 10% ethanol) 95 and 98

I use shell V Power which is 98 here

In the end I pay an extra 15c per Liter and would rather the better fuel. 15c in 12L is only $1.80 more not going to break the bank.
I see no advantage in using higher octane than is specified. If others feel it is "better fuel"..... your bike, your money, your choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys! I'm thinking I'll go with the non-ethanol to squeeze a few more miles out of the tank. =) I love riding so much that I'll take every little bit I can get! =D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd for the 91shell, it is some of the best gas as their is zero ethanol in it, as for 94 if available don't run it unless your bike is tuned for running 94 octane,it'll burn to rich as well. Also it'll almost feel the same as 91, so no need to waste the extra buks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts