Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How has everyones been doing for gas mileage mine doesn't seem to be getting the 70 mpg they claimed it get and I don't hammer the gas I'm still breaking it in with the who variable speeds and the no fast take of thays not saying I don't get on it a little but mine only getting like 55 or so mpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am right there with you, I dont know how people are getting these insane MPG numbers....I do not go above 7k, or race it and I am getting about 55

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am getting about 70 mpg myself. That is an imperial gallon though; a US gallon is 4/5 of an imperial gallon. 70 * .8 = 56 mpg. So maybe it is the conversion making it seem different. Could confirm this by comparing km/liter

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
liters/ 100km

I am getting about 70 mpg myself. That is an imperial gallon though; a US gallon is 4/5 of an imperial gallon. 70 * .8 = 56 mpg. So maybe it is the conversion making it seem different. Could confirm this by comparing km/liter
Liters/ 100km is the other common method for expressing fuel mileage. I am at 2.87 if that makes more sense to any Europeans here. km/ liter would be 34.86.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am broken in, pulling just over 70mpg on average. I drive it fairly aggressively, but don't often take it to redline at anytime. Its better than twice the mpg i get with my 4cylinder car, so i'm a happy camper

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Errands

I got 70 mpg US again in town running errands, fast food ect, plus two hours of slow riding in a vacant university campus with my daughter on the Ninja while she learns. Much of that sitting at idle while we discuss the next practice drill. I don't expect anything else I ever do will be lower than that. These bikes are the best. The Ninja gets 55 mpg under those circumstances.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mine's all over the place. First tank was 50, second 60, then 73, then 62. I just did a 76 mile round trip on it and I swear it only used 2 bars of fuel. I half expect 100mpg out of this tank lol.

All with 93 octane Shell or BP fuel.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fuelly is a good place to observe what to expect, on average, from your CBR250R:

Honda CBR250R MPG Reports | Fuelly

This bike should be capable of 80mpg if ridden gently, so if you're getting less than 60, you're either flogging the crap out of it (not necessarily a bad thing) or something might be wrong.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ninja 66

pretty good mileage figures. it seems 10mpg more than the ninja 250r. I get 70 on my ninja, but i ride carefully
I'm getting 87 mpg US lifetime on my CBR250R for 1600 miles on my 68mph highway commute. I did two round trips on my 09 Ninja 250R to compare and could only hit 66 mpg at that speed. Both bikes need longer gears for highway travel. I expect mid 90's on the Honda after I go up two teeth on the front sprocket.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm getting 87 mpg US lifetime on my CBR250R for 1600 miles on my 68mph highway commute. I did two round trips on my 09 Ninja 250R to compare and could only hit 66 mpg at that speed. Both bikes need longer gears for highway travel. I expect mid 90's on the Honda after I go up two teeth on the front sprocket.
Please let us know how you find the performance after adding the 2 front teeth (BTW, is that all you want for Christmas?). :D I'm worried that it won't have any pull in 6th anymore with that configuration.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That's what 4th and 5th are for.
Perhaps. Coming from the 125 though, the problem with the stock gearing on that bike (and what might happen with too many front teeth on the 250, but I hope to hear otherwise), is that except on downhills or with tailwinds, 6th is virtually useless. I don't mind the change if it only requires 5th occasionally for hills/passing, but if a shift into 6th in anything but ideal conditions makes is start to slow down, that'd be undesirable.

BTW, 6000 RPMs at 60mph is pretty nice as-is. On my SV650S, I think it was around 5000 RPMs for that speed, and that was the 'sweet spot' as far as fuel-economy went (got around 60mpg at that on the highway, which was nice, but this 250R is much better of course). :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Up 1

Perhaps. Coming from the 125 though, the problem with the stock gearing on that bike (and what might happen with too many front teeth on the 250, but I hope to hear otherwise), is that except on downhills or with tailwinds, 6th is virtually useless. I don't mind the change if it only requires 5th occasionally for hills/passing, but if a shift into 6th in anything but ideal conditions makes is start to slow down, that'd be undesirable.

BTW, 6000 RPMs at 60mph is pretty nice as-is. On my SV650S, I think it was around 5000 RPMs for that speed, and that was the 'sweet spot' as far as fuel-economy went (got around 60mpg at that on the highway, which was nice, but this 250R is much better of course). :)
I would be able to go up 1 tooth (as others have done) on an 07 CBR125R as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts