Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, does anyone else have the same gas tank intake like this? I have a photo below. The gas nozzle cannot get through in order for me to add gas because of that blockage. Is this common and normal?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Alloy wheel

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
YAPPP...
I didn't accumulate many hours with that annoy issue, but after a while I noticed that there is a certain angle where the fuel flows relatively well, and doesn't cause the pump to stop, and still sometimes squirts some fuel drops around.

Why to do it like this?
  1. Because if you forget the nozzle inside, in the car the pipe will tear from the pump, and in the motorcycle the rider will tear from the motorcycle. It's a matter of safety.
  2. Also, at motorcycle there is no access pipe to the fuel tank like in a car, we fill directly to the top of the tank, and if the nozzle was pushed in, the automatic would stop your filling after half a tank.
  3. Because you fill directly into the tank, and there is no access pipe, the metal ring is used both to prevent fuel from splashing out, and to be used as a gauge for the MAX fuel level.
To keep it short: It's like that for everyone and you'll learn to get along with it:cool::coffee::coffee::coffee:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Reactions: Mory

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
Get ONE more explanation:
4. Inside the "advanced" tank you have:
  • The fuel pump
  • You have the float for level measurement
  • And you have TWO more metal pipes (one to release the fuel vapors, and the other for returning excess fuel from the filler neck).
Without the Barrier/Stoper at the entrance, the nozzle of the refueling would have damage them.

In the picture below. My tank is full:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory

· Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
It also serves as a "full" indicator. Most bike manufacturers recommend that you do not fill the tank above the bar as excess fuel could be drawn down the vent tube and saturate the vapor recovery container, which in turn would cause running issues with the engine.
I imagine the CBR250R is no different and I seem to recall a similar warning in the owner's manual.

· Registered
29 Posts
Yup, it’s the same for me and it was also something similar on another Honda I owned.

I can’t put the nozzle in there and fill, because it stops the pump, so I have to hold the nozzle further up. That’s made my clumsy ass spill a bit of petrol on my bike several times.

· Super Moderator
1,465 Posts
Yup, it’s the same for me and it was also something similar on another Honda I owned.

I can’t put the nozzle in there and fill, because it stops the pump, so I have to hold the nozzle further up. That’s made my clumsy ass spill a bit of petrol on my bike several times.
I don't think I've ever owned a bike that wasn't a pain in the a** to fuel, but the CBR250R is a real challenge. I've gotten gas on my tank's finish so often that I now carry a disposable "wet wipe" to remove any gas that escapes the filler neck. I've also managed to find a gas station nearby where the velocity of the gas coming out of the pump is a little less than that of a fire hose and that helps a lot with eliminating spills.
Better than my new-gen Ninja 250R, which had a problem with it's gas cap and evaporation recovery system that constantly vented gas fumes in your face while riding. That required disassembling the gas cap and expanding vent holes with a drill. It's probably still the first mod all new Ninja250R owners do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts