Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

New member..and first post! Learnt a lot from here, and hoping that someone will be able to help me out.

I attempted to adjust the height of my gear shifter yesterday, but went a tad too far and completely unscrewed the linkage from the mount. I wanted the shifter to be a lot lower, as I am almost having to take my foot off of the pegs to downshift...not ideal.

Now I am having trouble getting the nut to properly tighten back against the joint at one end. It is the nut closest to the front of the bike I am having trouble with. All attempts to completely tighten the nut result in the linkage just coming out again.

Definitely a failed attempt at basic DIY!

Any suggestions will be most helpful.

Thanks

CJB

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Hi all

New member..and first post! Learnt a lot from here, and hoping that someone will be able to help me out.

I attempted to adjust the height of my gear shifter yesterday, but went a tad too far and completely unscrewed the linkage from the mount. I wanted the shifter to be a lot lower, as I am almost having to take my foot off of the pegs to downshift...not ideal.

Now I am having trouble getting the nut to properly tighten back against the joint at one end. It is the nut closest to the front of the bike I am having trouble with. All attempts to completely tighten the nut result in the linkage just coming out again.

Thanks

CJB
You'll have to thread the shaft farther into the rod end, making sure enough threads are engaged before you tighten the jam nut. You can only lower the shift lever so far before you run out length on the shaft.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. You have no idea how long I have been playing around with it. I managed to get it all tightened following your advice.

Do you know if there is any special metal threading inside of the ball joints that help the nuts on the spindle tighten?

I have managed to lower it slightly, but it is still not in the best position for me. I may have to look at some other options.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Thanks for the help. You have no idea how long I have been playing around with it. I managed to get it all tightened following your advice.

Do you know if there is any special metal threading inside of the ball joints that help the nuts on the spindle tighten?

I have managed to lower it slightly, but it is still not in the best position for me. I may have to look at some other options.
I'm not sure if anyone in the aftermarket world makes longer linkage adjustment rod's.
If you were to source a piece of round stock the same diameter as the original part, you could make a longer one. The tricky part of that is finding a Die to cut the left hand thread on one end. I good sized, well equipped machine shop might have a lefty metric die. Tell them you're fixing up an old wheel chair before you donate it to the Salvation Army, they might just cut the thread gratis.:D

P.S.: There's a fellow on the forum, by the name of Aufitt. He's a mate from down under, I'm thinking he may be able to point you in the direction of a machine shop to get that piece made. PM Aufitt, tell him MotoMike sent you... Cheer's!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright thanks I might just do that. I guess the other option is aftermarket rearsets, though I am guessing that is the expensive option.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Some guys have that problem when they ride with their heels hooked in the pegs with their toes hanging down. That's dangerous cause you could drag your toes and it also makes you look like a newb dork. Try to keep the front part of your foot on the pegs and move your feet forward to shift or brake.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Hi all

Thanks

CJB
Sounds like you have one end of the rod with more thread inserted than the other.

One end of the rod and rose joint is left hand thread,
the other is right hand thread,
so you'll have to start the rod into each joint at the same time.

When you tighten the lock nuts, use two 10mm open end spanners at the same time, and tighten the the same way.

Unless you have rearsets or Yoshi rearset mounts there is plenty of adjustment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome aboard matey.
Thanks Wynne!

That's what she said.
Hahaha that was definitely there for the taking.

Some guys have that problem when they ride with their heels hooked in the pegs with their toes hanging down. That's dangerous cause you could drag your toes and it also makes you look like a newb dork. Try to keep the front part of your foot on the pegs and move your feet forward to shift or brake.
I had considered that it may be related to by riding position. I will keep this in mind next time I hit the road.

Sounds like you have one end of the rod with more thread inserted than the other.

One end of the rod and rose joint is left hand thread,
the other is right hand thread,
so you'll have to start the rod into each joint at the same time.

When you tighten the lock nuts, use two 10mm open end spanners at the same time, and tighten the the same way.

Unless you have rearsets or Yoshi rearset mounts there is plenty of adjustment.
Thanks Aufitt. I was threading each joint at the same time, but was tightening each nut separately. Although I now have them tightened, the rod definitely isn't even in both sides. I had been playing around with it for about 30mins so was just happy when I got them both tightened. I will try again, ensuring it is even on both sides, and tighten the nuts at the same time.

And yes...I am all over the quotes :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If you've run out of adjustment, maybe someone fitted the spline wrong on the gear shifter arm (at the engine) you can remove the bolt and turn it one spline either way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts