Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today I started the process to have my rims powder coated. So far I have completed the first two steps on my list.

Step 1: Wheel removal.

Step 2: Drop wheels off to have the tires and bearings removed.

Step 3: Drop rims off at the powder coaters.

Step 4: Have tires and new bearings put back on the rims.

Step 5: Put the wheels back on my bike.

Step 6: Put red rim tape on the rims. . .DONE!

I'll keep you guys and gals posted on the progress.

PS - Here is a mock up of what it will look like when done!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'm considering just buying 2 new wheels to have this done to. It's basically the same price as 2 stands haha. The dealer didn't want to keep the bike in the shop on stands for 2 whole weeks while the wheels were powdered.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm considering just buying 2 new wheels to have this done to. It's basically the same price as 2 stands haha. The dealer didn't want to keep the bike in the shop on stands for 2 whole weeks while the wheels were powdered.
I paid $130 for the stands, but they're not just for this project. They are a great investment for any future projects and they keep my tires off the ground all winter! So anyway, how much do new rims cost? Do they come with bearings?

I'm looking at $113 for labor, $47 for bearings, $27 for the rim tape, and between $80-100 for the powder coating. Total cost will be between $267-$287.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I paid $130 for the stands, but they're not just for this project. They are a great investment for any future projects and they keep my tires off the ground all winter! So anyway, how much do new rims cost? Do they come with bearings?

I'm looking at $113 for labor, $47 for bearings, $27 for the rim tape, and between $80-100 for the powder coating. Total cost will be between $267-$287.
The front wheel is $99.19 and the rear is $120.21. They come fully loaded with the bearings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front wheel is $99.19 and the rear is $120.21. They come fully loaded with the bearings.
If the bearings are already installed then you'll have to have them removed so the rims can be powder coated. If they can be re-used then that will save you having to buy more. Are you thinking of doing it this way just so you won't have to buy stands? I'm trying to help you work out the details here, so please don't get offended. : )

·
Registered
706 Posts
If the bearings are already installed then you'll have to have them removed so the rims can be powder coated. If they can be re-used then that will save you having to buy more. Are you thinking of doing it this way just so you won't have to buy stands? I'm trying to help you work out the details here, so please don't get offended. : )
I can easily do the bearings myself. I work at a shop, we just don't have motorcycle lifts. I just don't really know if I want stands or not. I've priced everything out already. It's almost $400 for both wheels and powder coat, then mounting and balancing the tires I would have to pay for. But if I had the wheels already powder coated I could just show up at the dealer and have the mounting and balancing done 1 time instead of remove and then have installed later. Does it save any money? No probably not, is it worth the tiny bit extra? Yes, I have 2 sets of wheels and I could sell the old set or powder coat them and then sell. If I powder coated them I could probably put them up on eBay for the full price of the job lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can easily do the bearings myself. I work at a shop, we just don't have motorcycle lifts. I just don't really know if I want stands or not. I've priced everything out already. It's almost $400 for both wheels and powder coat, then mounting and balancing the tires I would have to pay for. But if I had the wheels already powder coated I could just show up at the dealer and have the mounting and balancing done 1 time instead of remove and then have installed later. Does it save any money? No probably not, is it worth the tiny bit extra? Yes, I have 2 sets of wheels and I could sell the old set or powder coat them and then sell. If I powder coated them I could probably put them up on eBay for the full price of the job lol.
Good thinking! I do love my stands though. I have no regrets about buying them except for the fact that I dind't buy the "pitbul" brand that is made in America. Good luck with yout project if you decide to do it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow love the new look. Ausume. Red rim tape really helps to. Nice job.
Thanks, but that pic is only a mock up of what it's going to look like. I used photoshop to darken the rims and add the red line. I'm sure the final product will look very close to that though! : )

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The photoshop is more of a satin finish, I actually like that better.

There is another option that requires a lot less time, only about $20, and not only is it reversible but it protects the wheels!

DYC Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier
Dipping Your Wheels - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier
PlastiDip Rims - Without Taking Wheels off the Car - DipYourCar.com How To - YouTube
This is hilarious! - (last link above)

PlastiDip Rims - Without Taking Wheels off the Car - DipYourCar.com How To - YouTube

That's pretty hack! On a Caddy CTS no less! Not removing the wheel, not scuffing the original finish, not masking the valve stem or tire - just spray it on!

Pretty sure you could pull it right off. It might even fly off on the hwy if you got a scrape that opened up.

Sorry, but that can't even begin to compare to a proper PC job.

Jay

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's pretty hack! On a Caddy CTS no less! Not removing the wheel, not scuffing the original finish, not masking the valve stem or tire - just spray it on!

Pretty sure you could pull it right off. It might even fly off on the hwy if you got a scrape that opened up.

Jay[/QUOTE]

You said a mouthful there! I'm not going to do some halfass job! I want it done the right way!

·
Registered
706 Posts
This is hilarious! - (last link above)

Jay
That is the entire fucking idea. It's 100% reversible without damaging the wheels. And it sticks on well enough that a power washer wont take it off. It's basically like wrapping a car in vinyl but much much cheaper. A lot of guys use it on high end wheels in the winter to protect them from salt.

And what about it being a CTS? Those things go for dirt cheap. When I worked in sales I bought one for $6000 and it wasn't all that old.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
That is the entire fucking idea. It's 100% reversible without damaging the wheels. And it sticks on well enough that a power washer wont take it off. It's basically like wrapping a car in vinyl but much much cheaper. A lot of guys use it on high end wheels in the winter to protect them from salt.

And what about it being a CTS? Those things go for dirt cheap. When I worked in sales I bought one for $6000 and it wasn't all that old.
Well you told me! That's a stupid f***** idea then!

The wheels were already damaged. All it would take is one scratch deep enough to go through the coating and a pressure washer would peel it right off.

It's a hack way to do it. Mostly leaving them on the car - that's total hack. Just make a decision - do you want the wheels a different color or not? Spraying some crap on them to temporarily change the color or "protect them from salt" is stupid - just buy some winter wheels already.

It was mentioned as an alternative to powder coating, which it is not.

EDIT: You didn't say it was an alternative to PC, my mistake. I guess just the way it was presented and applied in the video rubbed me the wrong way, but I did understand that it wasn't supposed to be permanent.

Jay

·
Registered
576 Posts
i think i might try that spray on just to see how well
it stays on.
you could do some of the tank and be great scratch protection.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i think i might try that spray on just to see how well
it stays on.
you could do some of the tank and be great scratch protection.
We did it on the chrome grills of my buddies 2006 BMW just to see how it would look in black, 1 it looked epic, 2 it's held up to over a year now and still looks perfect, and 3 it could still be taken off to reveal perfect OEM chrome kidney grills under neath it.

As to the having a 2nd set of wheels, well I do and I'm still going to do this to them because it's cheap and it keeps the winter wheels from taking the full force of the salts on the road. It's a lot cheaper then doing new powder coat every couple of years due to the heavy amount of salt they use.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts