Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scheduled for Jan. 22nd at AMP in Phoenix Az.

I'm going to change to kevlar brake lines, and I have already upgraded the tires, have stiffer front springs ordered, so besides taping off the lights I should be good to go.

It has been 5 years since I have been on a racetrack. I'm looking forward to having some fun, visiting with old friends and finding out what this baby will do.

Anyone in this area wanna sign up too? This is a fantastic track btw, right next to Luke AFB. If you are new to this stuff, I would be happy to help you out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You probably want to order some rear sets or the yoshi bracket that moves the stock pegs up and back

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I'm going to a track day sunday, have just spent ages removing the rear fender, the Hotbodies vid helps.
Mirrors and indicators removed, lights taped up, speedo covered.

Riding it stock except for an Akrapovic for clearance.

If its your 1st trackday for a while I dont think braided lines are necessary, you wont be heavy on the brakes, instructors dont even let us use brakes for the first few sessions.

Bike went down last week so have to ride with a bent left bar and left footpeg which is not good, TYGA rearsets and woodcraft (orTYGA) bars will replace those for the next meeting in January /February.

I'll post pics and feedback on monday/Tuesday.
Big weekend as its 200 miles away.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Aufit, do you have to use those race spec bolts in WA?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Aufit, do you have to use those race spec bolts in WA?
As in Lockwired? , no not for Track days but we do obviously have to for Racing.
The company I go with is pretty good, and runs at 2 tracks Barbagallo and Collie.

Bike Preparation

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stratton, which tires did you switch to?
I put Michelin Pilot Powers on her, 160 front 120 rear. I got my buddy snappin pictures now I'll post them within 30 min. (We work at the Honda dealer, gotta keep busy too).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If its your 1st trackday for a while I dont think braided lines are necessary, you wont be heavy on the brakes, instructors dont even let us use brakes for the first few sessions.

QUOTE]

Well, actually i do need them. I brake late, the stock lines will be mushy in 1 lap. I'm a retired pro roadracer. 15 years of racing, 103 wins, 47 crashes, one broken left wrist now permanently dislocated and 1 severed left pinkie finger. I'll be the instructor for the beginner group :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I would also throw some HH sintered pads up front as well, They make a difference, Even on the street!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Remove mirrors, indicators etc, tape over speedo & headlight (stretchy tape and disconnect headlight so the lens does not melt)
Remove rear fender & tape tailight and tuck the wiring up out of the way.

If I ran with the stock pegs again I'd remove those little steel balls off the end of the footpegs.. they touch but rearsets and low bars will be fitted for the next outing.

Left the rear footpegs on as I dont have the TYGA single seat conversion yet which comes with Exhaust bracket, fender eliminator and removes a heap of weight.. Its a bargain at under $300 by the time you buy those parts a single seat cowl, and aftermarket rear cowls (the side panels)
I'm not going to pillion this bike on the road anyway and want it easily converted for monthly track days.

Drive 200 miles to nearest Track day.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

This shows some ragged riding on my part from the first few sessions, and from using a stock tyre Id used on the road for 3000km which took a while to scrub in properly.

By the end of the day my racing lines were better, riding smoother and faster and the tyre shows the story.

No probs with the front, the track is hard on the left side and change of direction in 2 places.
Temp was a warm 27'C Track was hotter.
Pressures were Hondas 29psi/30psi , I'd have to talk to someone in the know to find if this is right or wrong.
Surprisingly I had alot of confidence in the suspension except getting a bit floaty over a rough S bend but i could modulate that with the throttle.

The 250 is a great little track bike for an average rider, the 600's and 1000's would hose me of course on 2 straights but for the same lap times with similar skilled riders all that gap was made up on corner entry and corner speed, you get time to set yourself for the entry more than they do.

No amount of engine mods would ever close that gap.
I had to sort of (respectfully) let them know I was there into the 2 tight 110 degree 3rd gear corners and run tight so I didnt shut the door on them.
Track days are NOT racing but you have to keep your rhythm.. once that flows I could gap them enough not to passed and pull enough to not be in eachothers way.

There was a Ninja 250 there and you guys will be happy to know the cbr pulls away on uphill thru 3rd and 4th.

The gearing was all wrong and had to use 3rd/4th/5th , but would like to not need 3rd in places to get the thing to come off the turns in 4th, other places I just had to redline 4th as no advantage into 5th.
Fastest part of the tight little track was tapped out in 5th so probably near 150kph.
The Ninja rider said the same thing, we both used a gear higher than everyone else but could go 2 higher with the right rear sprocket.

Riding pics will be released later in the week and I'll see how bad/good body positioning was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts