Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beginner rider - I've put around 500 miles on the bike, but this still happens to me maybe every 5th light - take off in first (no stalling problem) but then on the upshift from 1st to 2nd (which is required almost immediately beyond parking lot speeds) I get stuck in neutral.

This has resulted in fun coasting experiences like making a 90% turn in neutral while revving to 8k, tailgating from behind, laughter from spectators, and other assorted pleasantries.

I have no problem with any other gears, up or down - just up from 1st to 2nd. It hasn't really improved much with time, I have to monitor the idiot light when taking off.

Should I just upshift much harder? Squeeze clutch all the way in instead of just to friction zone? Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome on this, or if this happens to any one else - but I think it's likely my error vs bike.

Maybe some wd-40 or chain lube on the shifter? lol

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
455 Posts
you will get used to it. just pull up harder. I still missed shifts on this bike to when im riding hard.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
harder..faster! (deeper isn't a requirement in this case)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know if this will help you and you may not be ready to go clutchless, but by preloading the gear before engaging the clutch may help you shift smoother.

Put a little upward pressure on the shifter lever before you engage the clutch and release your throttle.

clutchless shifting

You will get about as many people argue for and against clutchless shifting, I don't do it often, but it is smoother.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harder it is, thanks guys

it's weird, 1-2 shift requires noticeably more effort than any other gear - guess its the travel path of the shifter having to go 1- N -2 vs 2-3 etc. back down is probably easier since you step vs pull - but def easier to end up in 1st vs N for the same reason :p

tis the fun of manual

·
Registered
534 Posts
NB-Mitch, I also do clutchless shifting from time to time. Mainly on downshifts when it's bogging a bit going up a hill, but I do it from time to time on upshifts too. I was gonna post a thread on here about it but like you said, I figured it would just turn into a huge "coasting while coming to a stop to save gas" arguement thread. LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
It can only click one time per travel so if you pull up harder its still shifting only 1 gear. No sense in babying it, you're shifting gears not playing footsies.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It can only click one time per travel so if you pull up harder its still shifting only 1 gear. No sense in babying it, you're shifting gears not playing footsies.
"playing footsies"?? LOL I'm guessing by that phrase that Sheddy is about my age, 50, or older. :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
You can also try adjusting the shift lever down a little so it easier to "bury" it to the top on upshifts. If you are in the friction zone of the clutch you also have to make sure the throttle is closing so the revs go down and not up. Second will only want to drop in when the revs drop lower than they were in first.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Something we were taught in our version of the MSF course, don't let the shifter go and leave your foot UNDER the shifter when moving from 1st to second until you have released the clutch. And confirmed you have second. Only then move your foot away and release the shifter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't fforget the basics.. Make sure your clutch is properly adjusted and is fully disengaging. 1-2 is the toughest shift on the bike and the most common place for transmission problems to pop up, so you'll want to get this figured out quickly.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
just release the clutch lever out about a third while pushing down on the gear lever with your foot several times..it will pop in to 1st...i have almost 6000 miles on mine and i have been having to that every time i ride since day one....i dont even think about it anymore,,...

rocking ur bike back and forth works too...if you dont care to look retarded in front of a bunch of strangers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts