Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a set of Teknic Chicane Short Gloves. I am still debating between these and the full gauntlet version of the same glove. Why would one choose one over the other?

·
Registered
532 Posts
gauntlet for me -- I'd want the added protection through the wrist. I was worried about how hot they'd be (mine are Scorpion full leather), however it was 28C this weekend and I was 100% fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wear full gauntlet gloves. If they're vented properly my hands are never hot nor cold and always dry. Plus they're good to go for track use. I think they look more uncomfortable than they really are. No bother to me personally in 90+ degree weather YMMV.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
gauntlets keep your sleeves from riding up if you went down, so they keep your whole arm safer in a sense
+1 - always have your gloves over the top of the jacket to prevent the sleeve from being rolled-up when you slide on your hands/forearm - it's one of the first places you will land on.

Jay

·
Registered
540 Posts
+1 - always have your gloves over the top of the jacket to prevent the sleeve from being rolled-up when you slide on your hands/forearm - it's one of the first places you will land on.

Jay
It's a hard reaction to overcome, but trying to land on your arms/hands in a fall is a nearly guaranteed way to break an arm. Learned this one the hard way my first time snowboarding. If you're going down your best options are to either go entirely limp, or go fetal.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It's a hard reaction to overcome, but trying to land on your arms/hands in a fall is a nearly guaranteed way to break an arm. Learned this one the hard way my first time snowboarding. If you're going down your best options are to either go entirely limp, or go fetal.
I've successfully landed on my forearms numerous times, but I don't think you have much choice about what to do until you start to tumble. Then you can decide how you want to do it - flat or round. Not like you have much time to think about that either, but I do recall pulling myself into a ball on at least one occasion.

Jay

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've successfully landed on my forearms numerous times, but I don't think you have much choice about what to do until you start to tumble. Then you can decide how you want to do it - flat or round. Not like you have much time to think about that either, but I do recall pulling myself into a ball on at least one occasion.

Jay
I wiped out a lot more times on the snowboard after that one incident, dumped a dirtbike more than once, and rolled an ATV just once. The reaction now is to just instantly fold my arms across my chest (morticia adams sleeping style, not jr. vs. sr. come-at-me-brah style) and bring my knees up as close to my shoulders as I can get them.

I always get the arms in the right place now.. legs.. eh.. sometimes.

edit: forearms is fine also.. it was more a caution against pulling a superman into the ground, arms straight out, taking the impact on your palms.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Well, it depends if u have long fingers or short ones. Long fingers don't do well with short gloves.....j/k lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
I currently use short gloves..and while they are fine in summer (despite the lower level of protection already mentioned), as the temperature starts to drop here in sunny Australia, I will be picking up a longer pair.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had the Teknic Chicane long gloves as my first pair. they were comfortable, but after 300 miles the left glove was already falling apart the middle finger had split open at the end and the velco on the wrist and completely torn off the glove leaving the strap to flap around. I replaced them with the A* SP2

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a pair of mesh short gloves the guy I bought my bike from gave me. Ordered a pair of Dainese 4 Strokes, which are more of a 3/4 glove. I guess I'm in between a gauntlet and short?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts