Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was riding home today when the words of my MSF instructor popped in my head. He said, "Even if it's their fault, if you get in a wreck, you still lose."

I wonder if anyone else has those one-line words of advice that keep you safe.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
"It's not IF you drop your bike, It's WHEN you'll drop your bike", "You're back brake is your best friend" (for slooow speed maneuvers) "Look where you want to go"

Just a few that pop into my wee head

(tuck and roll lol har har)
(Run Forest, Run...or I have to pee like Sea Biscuit)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Good stuff. This was an entertaining, but useful bit from my MSF instructor years ago.

"If you can't eat it in one sitting, you probably shouldn't hit it."

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Ride with a healthy sense of paranoia.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"It's when you get comfortable, that you have to become more attentive."

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
For me it was when taking curves, "Outside, Inside, Outside".

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ride like you are invisible to other drivers.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Bikes turn by counter steering into a lean. The opposite of a car. Pushing the left bar forward leans the bike to the left. Which starts the bike to corner to the left.

Push left.
Lean left.
Go left.
Practice this so it is automatic for an avoidance maneuver or if you start to run wide in a corner and need to tighten your line.

·
Registered
636 Posts
since i havent attended one of these courses yet, ive yet to hear these things from an instructor, but this thread is very interesting..

·
Registered
426 Posts
in reference to ATGATT

Dress for the slide, dont dress for the ride.

It is better to sweat than bleed

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This works on the track, on the street it'll get you killed.

Better advice, slow in, fast out.
He preached it probably a bit less dramatic than it is written.

"Slow, Look, Press, Roll" was another good tip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I've not taken the course and yet I've heard all of this stuff.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've not taken the course and yet I've heard all of this stuff.
Hearing and performing are two different things.

I had heard about these prior to taking the course but after they beat them into my brain, they have become automatic.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
When it comes to learning, person has to WANT to ride. It shouldn't be a passing whim, as a simple mistake can take ones's life. Also, if mentally a rider isn't in the mood, or "up to it' that day, then elect to ride another day, hang the keys up and do something else. If mentally you're not sharp it can be costly. Of course this is not always the case as riding in many countries is the primary means of transportation but, if one has a choice then make the right one. (just my toonies worth)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Also, if mentally a rider isn't in the mood, or "up to it' that day, then elect to ride another day, hang the keys up and do something else. If mentally you're not sharp it can be costly.
This is actually very good advice. I once turned around and came home from a cross country trip in Wisconsin. I wasn't sleeping, felt like crap and every hour felt like a chore.

Actually, it was in Rhinelander where BBR is :D

I was on the first floor of a 3 story hotel and it was pouring rain and we had water running into the bathroom from overhead light. Plus we had to walk about a mile to some absolutely HORRID chinese food buffet place.

Then their was the time we stopped at Rocks 'n Things in Rockton WI... Other than SW Wisconsin, Wisconsin and I have a love/hate thing going on :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts