Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was nice being a part of this community for a little while, but it is time for me to say good bye. I really wanted a CBR, and in retrospect I should have jumped on a non ABS model. I just figured for $500 bucks more, and the fact that I travel a lot on the freeway, and it was only going to be just a bit longer of a wait, that I would, and I did, indefinitly. Darn.
Then my lovely wife said: "Why dont you just buy a bike through Costco? I see a really nice one sitting there all the time." And so I did. I signed up, got my referral, got treated fantastic at both the dealer and through my costco rep, and pulled the trigger on a 2011 Versys 650.
The Costco deal is amazing, too bad its only through Kawasaki. $250 over invoice plus doc fees, tax, license. Thats it. Then Costco gives you a $250 costco card to use in the store once your done. Oh and 20% off all accesories at the store you buy the bike at until Costco decides otherwise.
No buyers remourse here. Hope yours ends soon Jersey. I sat on your bike at the store, and will admit I was a bit envious for sure.
But I love this Versys. Top heavy, not kind at low speed angles, but awesome suspension, mirrors, power, and comfort in general.
Anyone near Cali still waiting might want to look into this Costco program for sure. Just no Ninja 250's though. The invoice to msrp ratio is too low.
Well thats it. And for those of you still waiting for your CBR. When it comes, you'll be having fun too. I know its gonna be an awesome little bike for whoevers lucky or patient enough to grab one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
hey jpc,congrats on the versys,nice bike,too tall for me,but i love the style of it,as far as my bike goes,buyers remorse is wearing off,its only money,lol,anyway i have been riding to work everyday,handles unreal,love it.already put on a tinted shield and thinking about instaling some boom tubes,they look awesome,but i dont mind the stock exaust too,i also ordered some italian color monster decals to put on the bike.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats on the Versys. You should have a lot of fun on that. :)

·
Banned
104 Posts
Then my lovely wife said: "Why dont you just buy a bike through Costco? I see a really nice one sitting there all the time." And so I did. I signed up, got my referral, got treated fantastic at both the dealer and through my costco rep, and pulled the trigger on a 2011 Versys 650.
The Costco deal is amazing, too bad its only through Kawasaki. $250 over invoice plus doc fees, tax, license. Thats it.
$250 over plus DOC fees does'nt really sound amazing to me. I'm not raining on your parade.. The Versys looks like a great bike. I'm just saying that I know many dealers who charge $400-$500 DOC fees.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Doc fees are set at a fixed price of $55. I basicly got the bike when all was said and done at $7400 OTD.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Honda dealer had a nice used one, 2008 for $4000, 900 miles. Nice bike but to tall for me. It was gone 2 days later when I picked up the CBR.
Is it supposed to be some kind of dual sport?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey congratulations dude, enjoy the Versys, it's such a cool bike. I too sat on one last year but I'm way too short and just got lost inside it!
Hope you have loads of fun :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I don't know Trapper. Not really. It is tall like a dual sport, and it can go on dirt and gravel and what not. Its really designed for the street though. I liked it cause at 6ft1 34 inseam, I can plant both feet easily, I can see over traffic, its comfortable and flexible enough to take 3 to 400 mile trips on, the passenger seat sits real high. In fact my wife (5ft2) could easily see over my shoulders, yet for me it was like she wasn't even there.
You did good for passing up the 2008. 2009 and earlier are all ridged mount. More wear on your engine and body.
I thought about looking for a used, but 6500 for a new 2011, (which I think looks better than the 2010) is fine by me. In fact after only 15 min on the road with it I already had someone come up to me in a parking lot admiring it. (I will grab that pic for you jersey).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so here is a pic. If you look really closely at the brake lever you can see my first mod to the bike. Was practicing low speed tight u turns and I dropped the bike. Broke the tip off the lever. Bummer. A little rubber wrap and duct tape though, and I think I like it better!

Attachments

·
Banned
104 Posts
The Doc fees are set at a fixed price of $55. I basicly got the bike when all was said and done at $7400 OTD.
I might suggest that Costco is not the best route for everyone. I could buy a 2011 for $6299 plus tax/tags - no fees.. which is about $6700 OTD. I can buy a left over for $1000 less than that... but that's me, I'm always looking for the best deal I can find. Others would rather pay extra and not do the work involved in seeking out a great deal.. I can understand that perspective if money is not your main concern.
Still looks like a great bike whatever you paid!

·
Banned
104 Posts
If Costco is reading this, add CBR250Rs to your merchandise.
You don't need Costco to get a deal on a CBR 250. Plenty of dealers selling for MSRP and no other fees. I'm even starting to see them listed at under MSRP. The motorcycle market sucks.. Bikes are not selling.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Alright, so here is a pic. If you look really closely at the brake lever you can see my first mod to the bike. Was practicing low speed tight u turns and I dropped the bike. Broke the tip off the lever. Bummer. A little rubber wrap and duct tape though, and I think I like it better!
Thats what I love about the CBR, Ive been pushing it to see at what point I might dump it, cant do it its so easy to handle. I can even back it down the driveway backwards and balance it.
Versys is high and top heavy like my Sportster. Wife did the same thing turning it in our driveway. I put the enginge guard on for the next time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I started riding it yesturday, and it was fine for the streets, but when I tried practicing slow throttle control turning, it controlled me. I had a tough time with it. Went back out today, and it was like night and day. I had total control of the bike. I did adjust the clutch sensitivity though. So Scott, I would say unless your unable to put both feet on the ground, its not that big of a beast at all. Throttle control is really good.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Versys is high and top heavy like my Sportster.
There couldn't be two more dissimilar bikes. Every cruiser style seems top heavy to me because you sit 20 inches off the ground. The Versys and everything else will feel top heavy compared to a 250cc bike.

I've ridden the Versys, and I found it to be a terrifically balanced bike. Not top heavy in the slightest but again, it's all relative, it's not going to turn in as well as a small 250cc bike. I bet the CBR250r is top heavy compared to my CB200... which is top heavy compared to a small scooter.:D

·
Registered
928 Posts
There couldn't be two more dissimilar bikes. Every cruiser style seems top heavy to me because you sit 20 inches off the ground. The Versys and everything else will feel top heavy compared to a 250cc bike.

I've ridden the Versys, and I found it to be a terrifically balanced bike. Not top heavy in the slightest but again, it's all relative, it's not going to turn in as well as a small 250cc bike. I bet the CBR250r is top heavy compared to my CB200... which is top heavy compared to a small scooter.:D
Sportsters have been known as being one of the most top heavy bikes. The Versys sits up very high, the sportster low. Both are top heavy for different reasons. Perhaps I should say the Versys center of balance is way to high? All I know is that its way to high for me, like a dirt bike. I can see why the op already dropped it trying low speed turns.
I dont think anyone but a very weak midget is ever going to think a cbr is top heavy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts