Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up a Gorilla 8017 alarm (with 2 way pager). The install looks simple enough (pretty much connect to battery and go), however I was wondering about mounting space.

For anyone who has one of these, was there room to mount it under the main seat (with the battery), or did you have to take up room elsewhere on the bike? I kind of want to keep it out of the rear seat area as space is already limited (might have to ditch the toolset to put the alarm there).

·
Registered
206 Posts
I cant directly comment on your question but one of the complaints I have heard about pager systems are that they can drain the small battery that a bike has if left too long.. how long that is.. I dont know. If it is even true ...well you know how that works on the internet.
IF I go to a system on my bike this will probbalby be it.
Life time warranty and small.
Cyclone Motorcycle Alarm - webBikeWorld
I know kind of OT but I thought it might add to your thought proccess.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the regular one with no pager and I ditched the so called "tool set" and got my own multitool and keep it in my tank pack. The alarm fits perfectly where the tool set was.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the normal gorilla one in mine. Mounted in the trunk. It does drain the battery if you're not using the bike at least every other day. Good alarm though.

I should clarify: if your neighbors cat keeps jumping on your bike and setting off the warning chirps, your bike will be dead in a couple of days. I found out the hard way.
If not it should last a week or so without riding.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just installed it yesterday -- Ended up putting it in the same place ptcary did (wouldn't really fit anywhere else.

One good point about the location -- I also have a Xena disk lock alarm, and it fits pretty much snug next to the gorilla's 'brain', which hopefully should prevent any rattling.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the normal gorilla one in mine. Mounted in the trunk. It does drain the battery if you're not using the bike at least every other day. Good alarm though.

I should clarify: if your neighbors cat keeps jumping on your bike and setting off the warning chirps, your bike will be dead in a couple of days. I found out the hard way.
If not it should last a week or so without riding.
Do you know how bad the drain is with it in disarm? If it will drain 100% in a week, I'd be tempted to leave it disarmed when it is in a 'safe' area, and only arm it when the bike is outside of the garage. If the drain is the same, then I might as well always leave it in armed for the added protection.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do you know how bad the drain is with it in disarm? If it will drain 100% in a week, I'd be tempted to leave it disarmed when it is in a 'safe' area, and only arm it when the bike is outside of the garage. If the drain is the same, then I might as well always leave it in armed for the added protection.
It doesn't drain as bad when disarmed. I just noticed when I stored my bike, a month later when I plugged the battery tender in the bike was pretty low so I just disconnected it from the bike. It's hard to tell if it's only the alarm affecting the drain too. My r6 has an immobilizer built in from the factory that's always flashing. This could be affecting the battery drain too. I don't think the cbr has that problem.
In all the alarm is a good investment and I'd prefer to have it than not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts