Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my CBR since the end of February and have got on average 68 MPG, which I'm very happy with. My best tank had been the first tank of gas at 72 MPG.

I've been reading some of Sendler's posts and thought I would give hypermilling and PnG a try. Well it works! I managed to get 85 MPG, easily. I noticed a difference in my MPG right away cause the fuel gauge wasn't depleting as quickly as before.

The main factors that helped me was the pulse and glide technique (main factor), watching traffic way ahead and gliding / timing my glide to stop signs or lights, staying in lanes that had the least amount of cars turning, shifting quickly through gears 1-2-3 around 6K and quickly shifting / pulsing through the remaining gears until I was in 6th, tucking at speeds faster than 45 mph, using the brakes the least amount as possible, and maintaining a speed no faster than 70 mph.

I must say, it did take a lot of discipline to maintain the PnG technique. It's not something I would want to continue to do all the time. So this next tank of gas I'm going to see what MPG I get using the above methods minus PnG, but this time around I'm going to keep my RPMs through gears 1-6 at 3-4K RPM. I'm shooting for the 77 MPG range using those techniques.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Well it works! I managed to get 85 MPG
Very nice. You can keep most of your high MPG without the clutch hand tiring PnG. Use a fairly brisk throttle and short shift at 5,000 until you get the speed you want and then right into 6th (if you are going at least 35 mph so it doesn't buck which isn't good for the trans). Continue to ride smart. Plan ahead so you can coast up to stop signs instead of flying up only to slam on the brakes. Use your low riding position if you are going to be at highway speed for any length of time. You can put on a tank bag with a spare sweater in it to hold you up in a comfortable position.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Around town is short-shifting at 5,000 the best, or a little higher up, say 6 or 7?

Is 5,000 what you've been doing?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
glad it worked for you but sounds like too much work to me..did you even enjoy your ride? dont see how you could scanning/thinking ahead/trying to scrape every last 1/10 more mile out of every drop of gas....

I just ride how ever i want and enjoy the ride itself..dont pay attention to much else except for everyone else on the road trying to kill me..and I have gotten as high as 85mpg a couple times myself..my lifetime running average is 74mpg and i never lay on the tank..never..just stay upright like ur supposed to..lol..i have always said..the sweet spot for this bike 3-5k rpm range...stay there as much as possible for a whole tank and your guaranteed a high 70's even mid 80's mpg average

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nice post! Great recap of what you did to get max mpg.
I'm sure I could find it amongst the threads but still I think it's relevant for this one to repeat, what is PnG? And, what is a short shift?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Around town is short-shifting at 5,000 the best, or a little higher up, say 6 or 7?

Is 5,000 what you've been doing?
Definitely not 7,000 rpm. I will get a really good idea of the optimum rev range when I get my MPGuino scan gauge installed. Someday. Along with a bag full of other accessories I never got around to putting on this winter.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I thought I saw 7000 somewhere. I usually shift in the 5-6k range.

Thanks for the tips. I always end up killing my MPGs when I get onto the highway early in the monring on the weekends. It is hard to go under 70 when no one is on the road.:p

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Just thought I'd get everyone's dander up a little bit on this thread by pointing out that the CBR motor isn't making much power below 6500 rpm. 8 grand is where it starts hauling the mail. And contrary to popular belief, you can get decent fuel mpg while running the motor up where the peak ponys are. Short shifting at 5000 rpm?... on my bike that feels like lugging the motor. I won't do it. Besides, what's HP @ 5000 rpm? 10.0? Here's a News flash: AMERICAN HONDA SAYS THIS MOTOR IS DESIGNED TO RUN ABOVE 7000 RPM.

I just can't wrap my head around this "Driving Miss Daisy" approach to motorcycling.

"Like Steve McQueen, all I need is a FAST machine"... Ride like Steve would.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Then don't?

The point here in this thread and the hypermiling thread isn't to go fast. It is to efficiently use gas. How you ride is up to you.
I understand the point of this thread and the others focused on fuel economy.
What I find interesting, and somewhat hard to believe, is the willingness to run an engine outside it's design parameters to gain a marginal increase in fuel economy, and very possibly sacrifice engine service life in the process. On Tuesday I was speaking with a service representative with American Honda on an unrelated matter, and the topic of the CBR operating rpm came up. In a nutshell, the rep said that Honda recommends above 5000 rpm for optimum engine service life. He said and I quote " The CBR250R motor does not like to be lugged, and operating the engine below rpm where useable torque is created is not advisable. Below 4000 rpm is marginal at best". He also said "this motor likes rpm's". So, you are absolutely right, how you ride is up to you... squeeze every last drop of gas, or have a long engine service life... it's your choice.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have filled up my tank about 4 times now and get about 3.75 L/100km which is 75mpg UK and 62mpg USA. I don't commute on mine - just use it for fun so i am happy with those figures.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
109 Posts
I understand the point of this thread and the others focused on fuel economy.
What I find interesting, and somewhat hard to believe, is the willingness to run an engine outside it's design parameters to gain a marginal increase in fuel economy, and very possibly sacrifice engine service life in the process. On Tuesday I was speaking with a service representative with American Honda on an unrelated matter, and the topic of the CBR operating rpm came up. In a nutshell, the rep said that Honda recommends above 5000 rpm for optimum engine service life. He said and I quote " The CBR250R motor does not like to be lugged, and operating the engine below rpm where useable torque is created is not advisable. Below 4000 rpm is marginal at best". He also said "this motor likes rpm's". So, you are absolutely right, how you ride is up to you... squeeze every last drop of gas, or have a long engine service life... it's your choice.
Is there a switch on the bike to bypass the engine wearing lower rpms? Most bikes I have ridden need to go through all of the rev ranges to get to say 7000rpm and must be destroying themselves in the process.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This may sound counter-intuitive, but after cruising at higher RPM's, I actually got better gas mileage than shifting too early. I saw a similar issue when I was into Jeeps. People thought "oh no, lower gearing raises RPM's and therefore kills fuel economy", but the realistic result was that rolling resistance kills fuel economy a lot more than RPM's, and an engine that's not allowed to open up is not going to be able to produce enough power to overcome it and will therefore "lug". This is why someone can have 3.07 gears and big tires and get worse mileage than someone with 4.10 gears. Don't say it's apples and oranges either, it's basic physics.

If a bike is allowed to produce adequate power to move the its weight and overcome rolling resistance, it'll run better. Besides, I rarely ever see "my engine is dead" as reason for selling any vehicle. It's usually the last thing to go, along with "my frame is rusting apart". That being said, hypermiling by running the vehicle softly obviously works. Hard acceleration requires a lot more work on the engine to get weight moving quickly, while coasting requires no work on the engine's part aside from idling. I'd like to see someone break 100mpg on this bike!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts