Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man! I was riding home from work, got home... There it is! I nice 3 inch self drilling screw, on my rear tire. It's on the bike's side wall... :(

I need your thoughts and opinions. :confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
yeah. If it's in the sidewall unfortunately the tire is done. If it were in the tread you could risk a tire plug fix (plug it and watch for air leaks).

·
745 Posts
Plugs will work, but:

• Most if not all manufacturers recommend them as a temporary repair only, to be replaced with an internal patch at the earliest opportunity
  • No one (that I know) recommends fixing a sidewall hole, either plug or patch. Several reasons, including dynamic loading, risk of belt damage, weakening of side wall to name a few. Even a reasonably fast leak in the tread will usually give you enough time to stop safely unless you're rding really aggressively. Sidewall holes are more likely to "blow-out" which reduces your options considerably.
Good Luck! The only good news I can think of is that the CBR250 tires are cheaper than a lot of the Superbike rubber, unless you go wild.

By the way, a buddy of mine keeps a plug kit and a small compressor under the seat of his Ninja 650... No way would that fit under mine...

Luke

·
Registered
118 Posts
and parts store in your local area should carry the tier repair kit, or just carry a can of the tire foam fill it and temp drive on it!

But yes everyone's right unfortunately once your side wall is punctured gg for the tyre!

I would just upgrade to a sticker and better tyre.

·
Registered
193 Posts
"Got a screw on my rear tire!"

Congratulations tofuprod! I can't imagine the venue was very comfortable......still, take it where and when you can get it. :D ;) :eek:

On a serious note, I'm glad it was just a minor scratch and you found a great tire guy. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Plugs will work, but:

• Most if not all manufacturers recommend them as a temporary repair only, to be replaced with an internal patch at the earliest opportunity
  • No one (that I know) recommends fixing a sidewall hole, either plug or patch. Several reasons, including dynamic loading, risk of belt damage, weakening of side wall to name a few. Even a reasonably fast leak in the tread will usually give you enough time to stop safely unless you're rding really aggressively. Sidewall holes are more likely to "blow-out" which reduces your options considerably.
Luke
Plugs are a temporary solution. Actually if you have the liquid called Slime, its even better. But none of this is actually a permanent solution. This is helpful a few odd hundred kms, before which you must reach the tyre guy and he will repair properly.
Hahah that's cool where do I get that?
You get it mostly in motorcycle/tyre shops. If not, try online stores like Ebay. I am not from US, so I cant say from where you get it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pretty much all tire and bike manufacturers recommend replacing the tire if it gets a hole anywhere. If they recommend a plug (even temporarily) and something goes wrong, the could potentially be liable. I do know that Suzuki does allow a patch if it is installed from the inside, covers a one inch area around the hole, and also has a plug that fills the hole.
Also, as an FYI, due to a customers tire failing after being run on a Dyno, you WILL void any warranty (limited as they already are) on Dunlop tires, if you continue to run it after it has been on a Dyno.
Personally prefer Pirellis or Avons, myself, but imagine the same would apply with the Dyno there too (liability again).

Chad

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I know they say replace tyres with plugs.. ..
but they are **** good and Ive done 260-280 kph on them countless times in the soaring WA heat on country roads. and kept them in for the 5000km life of the tyre never a problem on big bores.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts