Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took one for a test ride two day's ago, and now have a nice new Red CBR250R sitting in my garage. Took the long way home and managed to put 80km on the clock tonight to start running it in. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
From a fellow Kiwi, albeit over 10,000 km from Aotearoa at present.... Kia ora. Your CBR 250R must be one of the first in NZ. Where?

I don't have one yet, but the CBR250R looks a likely purchase for me when I return to Godzone late next year. It looks well suited to NZ roads.

Good to hear that you are running it in, not doing that macho sounding break in.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
congratulations flighttime. Enjoy the ride! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, I took one for a test ride two day's ago, and now have a nice new Red CBR250R sitting in my garage. Took the long way home and managed to put 80km on the clock tonight to start running it in. :)
the CBR250R is just that great isn't it! Congrats on getting a CBR250R.

your just like me, i would end up taking the long way home too lol, sometimes drive out of my way a bit just to enjoy the ride more.

Post up some pic's!

keep us posted on your CBR250R riding experience.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome...

From a fellow Kiwi, albeit over 10,000 km from Aotearoa at present.... Kia ora. Your CBR 250R must be one of the first in NZ. Where?

From Hamilton.
Perfect roads around here for bikes. I've had a lot of different bikes over the years, but I am very impressed by the CBR. I was expecting less, but got a nice surprise when I got on board. The demo bike was new with 4km on the clock. I put nearly 100Km on it for them in the 2 days I had it while they got mine ready to go. Not sure why but my bike does not feel as smooth as the demo, but maybe that's just because I am being to easy on it.. I'll take it out again tonight for a little more running in :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
And after another 60Km in the freezing cold night air.. I'm frozen, but the bike is doing well...
Ah... the Waikato fog, there's nothing like it. I was reminded of that a year or back as we watched a Super 14 Rugby game in Hamilton, as we enjoyed a beer at a beach side bar here in Phuket.... satellite TV makes the world a small place. Over the last ten minutes that Waikato fog crept over the wall of the of the stadium, and by the end of the match it was not possible to see the other side of the field. I wonder if it will be the same for the match this Saturday.

It isn't the just cold on a motorcycle in the Waikato winter. To me, cold alone is bearable; you can dress for it. The damp is what really chills to the bone. The visibility, or lack of it, in fog can make life interesting too.

Some nice days for riding though.

I grew up near Otorohanga, on a farm on a hill to the south west of town. We were above the fog. Riding down into it was not pleasant, but ride I did, on the CT90 that we had for the farm to functions at Honekiwi Hall, or to town for Friday night, the movies, school dances or whatever.

There are some good roads for a ride down that way. One I love is from Awakino, through Mangakino and Te Anga following the coast, but most not on the coast, eventually getting to Kawhia. Quite a bit is unsealed, or was last time I rode it.

How does the CBR250R handle unsealed roads?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The damp is what really chills to the bone. The visibility, or lack of it, in fog can make life interesting too.

Some nice days for riding though.

How does the CBR250R handle unsealed roads?
Yep, the cold damp air that just gets in through any number of layers of clothing :). We used to ride with a full thickness news paper shoved down the front of the leathers, under all the jackets. Seemed to work the best for keeping you warm...

As for unsealed roads? are you kidding.. take my shiny new CBR off road..:eek:.. I am sure it will be fine. (It will even sound like a CRF250. Although heavily muffled)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations Flighttime. Still waiting for mine to become available, hopefully next week. Enjoy the ride and give us some more reports.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Busted

Yep, the cold damp air that just gets in through any number of layers of clothing :). We used to ride with a full thickness news paper shoved down the front of the leathers, under all the jackets. Seemed to work the best for keeping you warm...

As for unsealed roads? are you kidding.. take my shiny new CBR off road..:eek:.. I am sure it will be fine. (It will even sound like a CRF250. Although heavily muffled)
Busted.... you are reaching the honourable status of old chappy too!

Newspaper.... it works well. So does wool; it sure beats those high tech synthetics that stink within minutes of touching your skin, and are comfortable at only a narrow range of temperatures. Then there's silk; the silk balaclava that I wear under my helmet was a good find.

Still can't beat natural fibres, I reckon. I hear that wool prices are on the up after a quite a few years in the doldrums.

Unsealed roads....? Nah, not kidding. There are plenty around the Waikato / King Country / Coromandel, through some great country. No doubt, you've ridden a few already. I can understand your concern, but I betcha once the shine is gone you will do it.

I would, to get rid of the shiny newness, but that's just me.

To he honest, I would like to see a similar engine in more of a naked, dual sport guise chassis. There was one available a decade or so ago, the NX250, but I don't think it made it to the NZ market. I saw one here the other day.

Each to their own. Whatever, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Haven't seen you post for a while; maybe too busy riding out somewhere!

Have you got a carrier and/or pack for your bike yet? I don't know if these people have fittings available for the CBR250R yet:

Motorcycle luggage, hard soft motorcycle luggage, racks, touring luggage | Ventura

If they have, they are not listed on their website yet.

Do us a favour. Pop in to see them, and if they haven't got fittings available, get them to use your CBR250R as a model to make some. That being done their carrier and luggage will be an option for everyone.

The lack of ability to carry things seems to one of the shortcomings of the CBR250R.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well how about that... I work less than 50 metres down the road from them.
I'll drop in and see them sometime.

You are correct though, I have been out riding :cool:

Have just hit 400Km and still being nice to the CBR, although I am starting to find the edge of the rear tyre now. My wife is getting a little suspicous that I need to make so many trips to the store for "Coke & Potato Chips" and that it takes me 30min to complete the 3km round trip each time:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts