Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought I found a good place for the GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 which is motorcycle friendly. To mount the unit I made a bracket with aluminum sheet and attached with velcro. I found that the best angle for good visibility was the same as the tach. The mounting clip that came with the GPS was glued to the bracket with epoxy. Holes were drilled for the steering column bolt and the ball joint on the plactic Garmin mounting bracket. The Garmin runs for about 6 hours on battery but I will be installing a power hook up later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
They make stem mounts that go exactly where you put that one..like this one I'm going to order for my TomTom One.. but looks like you saved yourself $50 ,so good job...there are cigarette lighter plug kits for motorcycles available on ebay for around $15..im sure ebay isnt the only place but i havent looked around yet

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the link..I actually ended up buying my RAM from that website..took me a bit to research the site to figure out which.. arm..diamond plate then GPS holder I needed to order that was compatible with the mount.. but alltogether I give it 2 thumbs up!!
I ended up ordering this stem mount, also. Now, I wonder does it interfere with the ignition key in any way when the GPS is mounted there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
To answer my own question, I didn't like where the stem mount set. It clocked my view of the instruments. I used the Ram mount that uses longer bolts and the bolts go into the clutch bracket (holds the clutch bracket to the handle bar (clip)). Works great and it's up where I can see the small GPS lettering.

·
745 Posts
Bought the Ram-mount and a cradle for my Garmin 60Csx. Part numbers:

• RAM-B-176U Stem mount and diamond plate assembly
  • RAM-HOL-GA12U Garmin mount (yours will be different
Cost for the stem mount was $30.95, $7.42 for the Garmin mount from GPSCity.com.

Stem mount took ~10 minutes to install. Tighten it more than you might think.

The attached (crappy - too lazy to get the SLR out) pictures show how unobtrusive the mount is with the GPS removed. The mount is amazingly adjustable, was able to place the Garmin in a good position where you can see it clearly and manipulate it with your left hand, but the gauges are easily visible.

This mount is solid and easy to use, I like it a lot.

Next: Powerlet outlet....

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks good, Luke. I'm planning on doing the same thing, except with an iPhone on there instead (love free maps app that comes with iphone).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought the Ram-mount and a cradle for my Garmin 60Csx. Part numbers:

• RAM-B-176U Stem mount and diamond plate assembly
  • RAM-HOL-GA12U Garmin mount (yours will be different
Cost for the stem mount was $30.95, $7.42 for the Garmin mount from GPSCity.com.

Stem mount took ~10 minutes to install. Tighten it more than you might think.

The attached (crappy - too lazy to get the SLR out) pictures show how unobtrusive the mount is with the GPS removed. The mount is amazingly adjustable, was able to place the Garmin in a good position where you can see it clearly and manipulate it with your left hand, but the gauges are easily visible.

This mount is solid and easy to use, I like it a lot.

Next: Powerlet outlet....

I also have a 60csx. I love the mount you did here. I just ordered the same one. Thanks for the pics!!!

·
745 Posts
I can confirm that it's solid and easily readable even at 75 mph, and doesn't defect or move when you press the buttons.

·
Banned
834 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts