Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read elsewhere that it is a good practice to go over a new bike and grease the moving parts of the rear suspension linkage, as it is often overlooked at the dealer. Anyone know if this holds true for the new CBR?

I'll probably check out the procedure and do it one weekend when I have time, before I put many miles on the bike, likely before the 600 mile dealer dealer service/valve check.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Very good Idea to never seize the bolts as well.. swingarm and linkage bolts can be a bastard to remove 10 yrs down the track, for long term ownership its a great idea.

All dirtbike racers always do it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have not done it, but everyone I know that has, claim it (rear susp. links) was not well lubed on the assembly line. Most people add grease fittings while it is apart. I notice on our cbrs, the linkage is stamped steel, it may be more difficult to add grease fitttings, but I did not study it closely yet. this may be my first, I plan to keep this bike for a long time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may look at doing it this weekend. I've got to service my truck as well, so while I'm hot and smelly I'll clean up and grease the linkage and antisieze the bolts while I'm in there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Slightly off topic response.

Does anybody else find their rear suspension overly firm? After I picked the bike up I swore the preload was max'ed out. Imagine my shock to see it on the 2nd softest setting. I bumped into down to the softest setting and set my tire pressure (was over inflated to 40lbs).

Better, but I still find the suspension VERY firm. No doubt it'll soften up over time, but it's FIRM.

BTW, I'm 175lbs. I can't imagine what it would feel like if you were sub 125lbs!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Slightly off topic response.

Does anybody else find their rear suspension overly firm? After I picked the bike up I swore the preload was max'ed out. Imagine my shock to see it on the 2nd softest setting. I bumped into down to the softest setting and set my tire pressure (was over inflated to 40lbs).

Better, but I still find the suspension VERY firm. No doubt it'll soften up over time, but it's FIRM.

BTW, I'm 175lbs. I can't imagine what it would feel like if you were sub 125lbs!
Its a CBR 'race' bike with an appropriate suspension. I set mine to 4/5 and I'll prob go to '5' soon. Yes its firm.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Preload adjuster is simply ride height adjuster.. higher/lower is not 'firmer/softer'.

This bike has no compression/rebound damping adjustment on the rear... right?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Preload adjuster is simply ride height adjuster.. higher/lower is not 'firmer/softer'.

This bike has no compression/rebound damping adjustment on the rear... right?
Perhaps a better way to describe it is, "sag adjustment". When you are off of your bike the bike will have the same height on the highest setting as it would with the lowest setting. However, the "softer" you set the spring, the lower the ride height will be with a given load and the higher the height with the "firmer" settings. It accomplishes this by adding or removing tension from the spring, the more tension added to the spring, the less it will sag under load.

The only way to change the characteristics of the bike itself is to change the springs

·
Registered
501 Posts
Does anybody else find their rear suspension overly firm? After I picked the bike up I swore the preload was max'ed out. Imagine my shock to see it on the 2nd softest setting. Better, but I still find the suspension VERY firm. No doubt it'll soften up over time, but it's FIRM.

Quite harsh, IMO.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-performance/2282-rear-shock-spring-too-stiff-just-my-butt.html

·
Registered
999 Posts
The shock can be a little on the firm side.
Fortunately, it's compensated by forks that can be a little on the soft side :p
^*sarcasm*^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts