Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought a new CBR250R with ABS a couple of weeks ago which has been stored in my garage (I had it delivered from the dealer to my house). I am new to the world of motorcycles. Never rode a motorcycle (closest is riding bicycles). Even though I had friends, cousin in law, co-workers who have motorcycles I never rode one or even had them teach me how even though they offered. In the back of my head though I always said to myself that the day will come. I am 34 years old now and that day is here.

I signed up for the MSF class which ended today (Sat and Sun). I passed the written test and the riding test. Knowing that I still will not be able to legally ride for another two weeks because for one, the DL form for waiver will not come for another week and my next weekday off will be two weeks from now. I went ahead to our DMV the next day Friday and took the 25 question permit test and passed. This was planned because the material from the MSF in class lecture was still fresh in my head. The beauty of it all is I can practice during the day around my block all I want even though it goes beyond the two weeks I had planned for to get my license.

So I took the CBR250R out around the block when I got home today from MSF. I made sure she was warmed up, got used to the friction zone in first gear, and then I was off lol. I was primarily using 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear, not going above 4k rpms around the block. All I can say is I need practice lol. Still rough around the edges of 1st to 2nd - 2nd to first. I got to let clutch out more smoothly, match engine speed to rpm or what not. Anyway, any tips is appreciated. You guys will likely be seing more of my posts here. More on the question side if anything. LOL, i don't know jack about the internals of a bike. I am learning though. I know more now that I ever did lol. This is just the tip of the iceberg but I am already had so much fun, the MSF alone was fun.

-Cire 5th

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same situation as you. My friends had bikes, but I never rode one. I took my msf course completely new to it (Only about 2 months ago). I had a choice to wait till spring or get it now. I opted to now because I was afraid I'd forget how to ride. It all takes practice. Before I went on busy roads I'd just go around the block learning how to shift through the gears before and after turns and it just comes naturally.

It's been about a month since I owned my cbr250r. I can now say I'm pretty comfortable riding a motorcycle.

Just remember, keep your head up (Literally) and keep practicing. Plus, the friendly people on cbr250.net will be glad to help =D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Similar story to mine. It sounds like you've got a great start already. Keep it up. Practice low-speed maneuvers no matter how many years experience you have under your belt.

For most, owning a motorcycle is a two-part thrill: The first is, obviously enough, is riding. The second is learning how to care for and maintain your own bike. Don't short-change yourself by focusing on one or the other, as a lot of new motorcyclists do at first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts