Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i had just applied for cbr250r loan (hopefully I will get approval). I ordered the standard red cbr250r. I never ridden any bike with cluth though :p

my current bike is honda ex5 dream, quite popular for commuting in city and one of the cheapest bike you can get

more about me:

a system engineer (IT)
lives in subang jaya, selangor

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I started riding on a CT90 Cub, which had an automatic clutch, like the Dream. I don't recall any great problem with riding a bike with a manual clutch. I think you will catch on to that fairly quickly.

One thing that may catch you out is the gear change pattern. On the Dream you change up by pressing down on the gear selector, which is usual on step throughs, and a few other small bikes. As you probably know, on the CBR250R you change up by lifting the gear selector, with neutral between 1st and 2nd; that is normal for most larger bikes. When changing between bikes I have occasionally moved the selector the opposite direction to what I should have. Never when starting, but on the move when habit takes over.

When I started riding some bikes had the gear change on the right, and rear brake on the left, just to complicate things a little more. And then there was the WW2 vintage US Army model Indian that the father of a classmate owned; it had a foot operated clutch and stick shift, like a car!

While the Dream very practical and economical for around town, with the CBR250R you should have a great machine to head into the highlands near where you live.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the tip micheal, i though it would be like changing gear on car with manual transmission where i had to press the clutch all the way, then i hit the gear change before releasing the clutch gently.

it seems that you're living in one of the nicest place in Asia ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts