Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! I purchased my red and silver Honda cbr250 almost two months ago. A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to get some reviews on the bike and I was able to get some information on the web, which led me to this forum. I think this forum is really cool.

I have been riding my bike almost every day since I purchased it. It has ABS brakes and I paid $4,900. With financing the payoff is approximately $6,500. I know a lot of you are new riders like me, and I am not trying to put a damper on your day, but I just want to know your experience with your bike. I had some trouble at first with getting it in first gear – no matter what I tried. Now I let out the clutch a little and I am able to get the bike in first with no problem, but this was not the case initially. Also, I don’t like the fact that I have to shift to 6th gear in order to move at around 37 mph. When trying to move when the light turns green is another issue. The power is not there to move as quickly as possible. When I first got the bike I was excited and I wasn’t riding that fast – around 30 to 35 mph. Today, I commuted to work and back home and the power wasn’t there when I needed it. Also, the bike is light, so at around 35 mph, the crosswinds start pushing the bike side-to-side. Has this been your experience? Please be honest with me because I am seriously thinking of getting a new bike. Either a Harley 883, Honda Phantom 750, or a Honda CBR 600. I don’t need a bike that is massive and with a lot of power. I want a bike that I can handle in size and power. The overall purpose for riding is for pleasure, but a little power would be nice. Also, I test drove an 883 and Honda 750 and I was able to handle both of those bikes pretty well. The dealer told me that most people get these bikes when they first learn to ride because it has power and they are easier to handle than a 1200 or 1600. They also told me that I do need power to move; especially in Florida where the traffic is crazy. They also told me that the bike is very light that is why the wind pushes it around. A bike that weighs 500 or 800 pounds would not move as easily during windy conditions.

Overall, the Honda cbr 250 is a nice bike and it is perfect for new riders; however, maybe it is not for me. It sucks because I like the bike, but I honestly don’t know what to do because if I sell it, I will be upside down on the payments, but if I keep it, I may become frustrated because of its lack of power. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Honda CBR 250 family!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Had a H-D sportster, had some issues with wind and would say the cbr250 handles highway speed just as easily as the sportster, if not better. Don't understand why your in 6th gear at 37 mph....I can do 80 kms in 5th which should be around 60 mph, and cruise nicely. Perhaps you need to work on the shifting a bit more?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Had a H-D sportster, had some issues with wind and would say the cbr250 handles highway speed just as easily as the sportster, if not better. Don't understand why your in 6th gear at 37 mph....I can do 80 kms in 5th which should be around 60 mph, and cruise nicely. Perhaps you need to work on the shifting a bit more?
I put a Memphis Shades Shooter windshield on my Sportster. Makes a difference, but the bike still sucks.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
whole heartedly agree with madd-trapper, the sportster sucked. Really won't be any more pleased with the bike, or gaining any more experience. Its lightweight enough in crosswind so you'll be beat about and you will last only one season and wishing to unload it. Like riding with a 2x4 blank up your butt. Consider the Phantom 750 before the sporster. cbr600rr, great bike but one requires more riding experience to handle it with confidence and skill. It's a snappy super sport bike, not for the inexperienced ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback. I am considering either a Suzuki 600 or Honda 600. I like the Suzuki because I can sit straight up. Also, according to the Honda manual,the recommended shift speed from5th to 6th gear is 37 mph. I have tried to accelerate at 45mph in 5th gear and the bike made a humming sound suggesting that I shift to6th. So i am shifting correctly.

Any suggestions as to which bike i should purchase. I am not getting a sportster.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If youre a new rider and get the 600 make sure your health insurance is paid up and get a good life insurance policy.
The Honda Shadows are good but will not handle like a sport bike. Try the Suzuki GS500F or any of the 650 twins sportbikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Live to ride, i tried riding that bike in 5th gear at 45 mph and the bike was humming and ruff. However in 6th gear at that speed, you know what, that bike did not hum and it was smoother! If this is a forum for proud, new cbr250 owners, I don't think you should give riding advice. It's like the blind leading the blind.

Mad trapper, don't like the sarcasm, just because you probably can't handle a 600, does not mean i can't. I am nearly 6ft and weighs a little over 200 pounds. I need something bigger higher and heavier. I did my research and a 600 is just fine. I also rode a750 and that bike is more powerful than the 600 in my opinion.

Thanks for the help anyway.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Really, then maybe you need to do some more research on what a Honda CBR600 is capable of. It is not just the power it is also the braking system. So your opinion is wrong. The CBR 600 is not any higher then the 250.
Dont worry I have plenty more sarcasm. Lots of it.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Live to ride, i tried riding that bike in 5th gear at 45 mph and the bike was humming and ruff. However in 6th gear at that speed, you know what, that bike did not hum and it was smoother! If this is a forum for proud, new cbr250 owners, I don't think you should give riding advice. It's like the blind leading the blind.

Mad trapper, don't like the sarcasm, just because you probably can't handle a 600, does not mean i can't. I am nearly 6ft and weighs a little over 200 pounds. I need something bigger higher and heavier. I did my research and a 600 is just fine. I also rode a750 and that bike is more powerful than the 600 in my opinion.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Not giving riding advice. Expressed an opinion. It is not always the height or weight of a rider but most importantly the skill level and experience. I know that a cbr 600rr is a powerful bike. If you feel after research that you are ready to take the leap to this bike then go ahead. No need to critisize. As Luke Skywalker would say "May the force be with you". Have fun. ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
tsitra-if you are trying to ride your bike in 6th gear at 37, try down shifting...4th gear will hold that speed perfectly..Im about 200 pounds as well and im not kicking it up into 6th until about 55. Your engine is gonna sputter and cough because youre going too slow...give it a few more revs per gear and then see how it feels..maybe your ride will be more enjoyable..good luck none-the-less..ride safe..

·
Registered
928 Posts
tsitra-if you are trying to ride your bike in 6th gear at 37, try down shifting...4th gear will hold that speed perfectly..Im about 200 pounds as well and im not kicking it up into 6th until about 55. Your engine is gonna sputter and cough because youre going too slow...give it a few more revs per gear and then see how it feels..maybe your ride will be more enjoyable..good luck none-the-less..ride safe..
His ABS bike he bought in April, in Florida?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Pass the hot pocket trapper..No the one he bought in march, in arizona..
Dont think I have enough hot pockets for this guy. I do have a 2013 V4 CBR350 with automatic parking and onstar for sale, $29.99
I bought it at Fantasy Island Honda.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Dont think I have enough hot pockets for this guy. I do have a 2013 V4 CBR350 with automatic parking and onstar for sale, $29.99
I bought it at Fantasy Island Honda.
You crack me up lolol :D Love your humour ;) (and yes, there's nothing wrong with being "perfect", snicker!!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, if you guys get off on picking on other people, this forum is not for me. It really apprears you are guys are just

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey, if you guys get off on picking on other people, this forum is not for me. It really apprears you are guys are just
Thats too bad, we'll really miss ya. I always thought doctors would be able to spell and have proper grammar skills. You should come work at the carnival with me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The spelling was off because of the auto speller. My fault for not proofing, right? Anyway, that does not negate the fact that you are an idiot!!!! By the way, your last posting was saturated with grammatical errors, sentence structure issues, and syntax. The sad thing is that it is only two sentences. Wow! I would never want to work at carnival -- not "the" carnival -- with you. Like i said, you are a real idiot!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts