Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the drawbacks of aging is that your balance becomes poorer. Shortly after my 77th birthday I had 3 coming-to-a-stop/low-speed tip overs within a month on my CB500X.

I'm a tad under 5'6" and have a 28" inseam, so I can only get one foot down to support that bike. As I no longer know which way it is going to tip, I cannot safely ride it anymore.

Hence, these days I am restricting myself to this:

I've put over 15K miles on it, almost all trail riding, but now it becomes my general purpose bike. Its seat is narrower, front springs are softer, and I can flat-foot this bike.

Life is still good!

PS This bike weighs 270 rather than the 430 pounds of the CB500X

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's about whatever keeps you the saddle! Glad to hear it man! I know you liked that 500 but yeah it's heavy in comparison. In my 20's-30's I had a Yamaha DT125 and a XT250, both were dual purpose and I went just about everywhere with them. These bikes work for young & old, err, older! (Count me in old, I'm 62 this month).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I gave up my 650 Deauville in July 2017 because of the problems that come with age and top heavy bikes. At some junctions it could be a bit iffy. That's why I got a CBR300R instead. Lost 100 kilo straight off. I think the CBR will keep me going for many years. I'm 80 in a couple of months.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im not even that old but I dont like the idea of wrestling around with a >400 lb behemoth.

For me the weight and flickability of the CB300F are a perfect fit.

Also lately I notice I have been behaving like a squid. Alot of illegal lane splitting and lane filtering and even driving up the sidewalk to go around congested traffic so I can say form my personality that a bigger bike would be "just enough rope to hang myself with".

I mean Im already driving like a jack-aass on the CB300F so just imagine me on a 600.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im not even that old but I dont like the idea of wrestling around with a >400 lb behemoth.

For me the weight and flickability of the CB300F are a perfect fit.

Also lately I notice I have been behaving like a squid. Alot of illegal lane splitting and lane filtering and even driving up the sidewalk to go around congested traffic so I can say form my personality that a bigger bike would be "just enough rope to hang myself with".

I mean Im already driving like a jack-aass on the CB300F so just imagine me on a 600.
:|

Stop that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know exactly what you mean! In Jan. Of 2017, I saw an ad for a 2014 700x with only a little over 4,000 miles on it, for only 4K dollars and I just couldn’t pass it up. I had been thinking l should do something about my wonderful little cbr, before it gave up the ghost, now @127,000+ miles, but I couldn’t find a decent price on a 300, so I bought it. I absolutely love riding it and it takes half as much time to check the valves as the CBR, but boy is it heavy!! I know it’s only a matter of time until I drop it, but I’ll keep riding it as long as I can, l just turned 81 last month, and I can feel myself getting weaker all the time! The little cbr gave me a little fright this morning, I hadn’t ridden it for 2 weeks, the longest its ever sat since new and it was very slow to fire. I suspect the compression is getting a bit low, because the starter was really spinning it over fast. That little thing owes me nothing, but I’ll be very sad when it gives up the ghost!!
Take Care & ride safe!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts