Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I know some of you might be sick of my whining or whatever, but I'm about to go to the dark side and I guess I'm wanting to know if there are any factors you can come up with that will stop me.

First of all, keep in mind that I'm moving to Austin in about a month.

Okay, so a Honda dealership in the Chicago area has told me that my ABS-red cbr250 is coming in last week. Then it got pushed to this week.

Mad-trapper was kind enough to call for me and ask, and they tell him May 26 (next week).

I call today and they tell me that now it got pushed back to June 26. Oh yeah, and non-abs.

I'm getting really sick and tired of the runaround and the fact that the first girl I talk to, GUARANTEES that it's last week (she actually said, verbatim, "the date I'm giving you is definite." Oh yeah, and then she took my $500 deposit.

And also, I really wanted the all-black one to begin with.

Now, I made a call to another dealership, and they have an all-black 2011 ninja 250 coming in on Tuesday, supposedly definite, as well.

I'm THIS close to asking for my money back from Honda and just going with the Ninja.

MPG is 20 miles better on the CBR, yes, but difference in cost for gas is negligible, in my opinion, and the Ninja's tank is bigger. And I like the look of the more-sportsbike-style of the Ninja more than the CBR.

HOWEVER, I hate the thought of having to clean carbs and letting it warm up in the morning. (Although I have no idea if it will be a big issue in Austin weather).

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck.

Fuel injection is the reason I'll wait on the CBR.

Oh, fit and finish is superior too.

And Better mileage.

Oh and smoother engine and transmission.

Deeper exhaust note than the Ninja.

Better looking bodywork and wheels.

Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like you want a bike right now. If you don't want to wait for something that you really want, ie fuel injection, go ninja.

If you can bring your self to wait for fuel injection the worst case in that regard is if nothing shows by the time you move then you can establish a relationship with a Honda dealer in Texas. That would not be a bad thing through out the longetivity of your bike.

And if you buy a honda in Texas, you will have the fuel injection AND maybe even an ABS option by that time.

Regardless of what you buy you will have fun on it... but if you buy carburated ...you can bet you will always wish you would have waited a few weeks and ended up with fuel injection by the way you talk.

Hope you can at least enjoy the pickle your in while your deciding.

·
745 Posts
Come on guys... Bluefire, there's nothing wrong with the Ninja. Yeah, the carbs mean you'll need to warm it up in the morning, so crank it and let if fast idle while you put your gear on. Seating postion is about the same, the kawa revs a bit higher and has more power on the top end. I went over the two of them pretty thoroughly (dealer had both) and I couldn't see much if any difference in fit and finish - did like the Honda's instrument group a lot better. Some people will say that Honda supports you better, but my experience has been that the dealer you select is going to make or break your support experience.

Taken care of, either bike will serve you well and return the bulk of your investment if/when you sell it. I hope you'll get a Honda so that you will come back here and tell everyone how much you love it, but I have no doubt you'll enjoy the Ninja.

It's a hard decision - Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys... Bluefire, there's nothing wrong with the Ninja. Yeah, the carbs mean you'll need to warm it up in the morning, so crank it and let if fast idle while you put your gear on. Seating postion is about the same, the kawa revs a bit higher and has more power on the top end. I went over the two of them pretty thoroughly (dealer had both) and I couldn't see much if any difference in fit and finish - did like the Honda's instrument group a lot better. Some people will say that Honda supports you better, but my experience has been that the dealer you select is going to make or break your support experience.

Taken care of, either bike will serve you well and return the bulk of your investment if/when you sell it. I hope you'll get a Honda so that you will come back here and tell everyone how much you love it, but I have no doubt you'll enjoy the Ninja.

It's a hard decision - Good Luck!
Luke, I really appreciate the balanced and informed opinions you've presented me on this and other posts.

I haven't made a decision yet. . . As far as styling and finish, I tend to prefer the Ninja (post 2008; that old headlight was freaking ugly!), but at low-speed handling and ease-of-use with warmup times, I prefer the Honda. I also like that the Honda has a digital readout, it seems much more modern.

I just don't know. . . .I showed my wife a picture of the CBR and a picture of the Ninja, and she said that the "first one" (the Ninja; she doesn't know bike names) seemed a lot sharper and meaner-looking, in a good way.

I just don't like the idea of having to deal with carbs, having them gum up if I let it sit for more than a month, etc. And warming it up in the morning while I have a cup o'joe with my wife and put my gear on doesn't sound too bad (Thanks again, Luke). . . .

I just don't know. . . .

I'll keep you guys posted, though. Thanks for the advice. Even the ones not as balanced as Luke's. I like to see you guys passionate about your choices. It means the Honda's a great bike.

One other option is getting the Ninja now, and then in 1 or 2 summers getting the 2nd or 3rd generation CBR (if I haven't moved up in bike size by then. . . Ducati Diavel makes my mouth water!).

I just don't know! Argh!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
my personal opinion i'd wait for the cbr for several reasons. honda have a much better reliability record compared to kawi, more modern technology, fuel injected, better mpg's, and i personally think the honda looks better. i checked out the ninja's too and kawi dealerships weren't making deals on leftover 2010's, or even used 2009's. i paid less for a brand new 2011 cbr250r and am glad i went with that instead

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bluefire,

I have ridden the Ninja 250R quite a bit and think it's a great bike. However, it is so close to the CBR250R in all the right categories for me that the FI on the CBR250R (I found the starting ritual of the Ninja 250R a pain on cool mornings) and the improved fuel-economy - have steered me over to the Honda. However, in a perfect world you would wait and then demo both bikes when you have an opportunity. Nothing will give you the peace of mind that trying both of them out will give you (comfort, feel, power characteristics) and then you can make the purchase knowing that you've made the right decision for you in the end.

Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
if the honda dealer is really untrusted and being unreliable, perhaps it's better to seek another bike, cause that what i'll do definitely.

i'm very sorry to hear your problem. i just wish the dealer can understand your desire with the cbr bike, so they can do what they can to deliver the cbr250 right away.

wish you luck. :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If you need a bike for transport now, find one that comes close to fitting your requirements (or desires) and buy it.

If you can wait, the CBR250R could be worth the wait.

Sounds like you can wait. With the move to Austin coming up, you could be better to leave it for now and find a dealer when you get there.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bluefire- I had the same problem with a dealership here in ohio..had money down, ready to buy but no bike..i would call around to any dealerships within a comprable distance from youto see if there are any available..you have probrobly already done this,but its exactly how i ended up landing mine earlier this month..good luck..

·
Registered
681 Posts
If it wasn't for the excessive shifting on the Ninja and the lack of fuel injection, I would have gotten one for sure. I love the CBR (I haven't gotten mine yet) but the Ninja is much sportier looking.

Looks aren't everything though. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good luck.

Fuel injection is the reason I'll wait on the CBR.

Oh, fit and finish is superior too.

And Better mileage.

Oh and smoother engine and transmission.

Deeper exhaust note than the Ninja.

Better looking bodywork and wheels.

Good luck.
Every thing he said.......

·
Registered
28 Posts
i just got my CBR250 on May 9th from Houston, TX... i was in a very similar position. I called all sorts of different dealerships. They all said they had sold out and were waiting for shipments to come in. So I called the Honda of Houston which is 80 miles from where i live, and they had one Red/Silver non-abs and I called them that day and went down there after work and picked it up. The bike is amazing, its my first bike and i couldn't be happier with my decision.

if it were up to me, id say to get the CBR250, you won't regret it bro

·
Registered
879 Posts
I finally had enough and told my dealer to just forget it. He also sells yamaha so he made me a great deal on a Yamaha FZ6R and i really like this bike, actually now think the 250 might have been to small and slow for me. Really Really wanted one but enough is enough so it was time to move on

·
Registered
31 Posts
Rode ninja's, know people who own them and they liked them. However they didn't like the whiney, unstable fell at higher speeds. Fuel injection and abs are pluses. At the end of the day it is "6 of this, have a dozen of the other". Both bikes will make you smile. Both have the fun factor. All the best with your decision.

·
281 Posts
Order up the CBR now from a Powerhouse dealer in Austin area...find-em on line and talk to them in person and cut your deal...you might even be able to get ABS.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts