1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(I still have not overcome the problem)
Previously On:
I have already written to you here about the motorcycle I bought and received a low level of maintenance(LINK)
Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

2. I also shared with you the condition of the old plug that I was replacing(LINK)
Probably Engine That Experienced Overheated:

Wood Artifact Metal Sweetness Baked goods

3. Then I came to deal with the hard starting problem, and it was found that the fuel pump and her relief pressure valve were both failure, and I replaced them both (LINK to that thread)
Handwriting Lipstick Font Cosmetics Office supplies

What have I done since then?
I noticed that in a cold start the RPM dial climbing slowly and the engine needed assistance from the throttle, then: I replaced the IACV in order, and then the SENSOR SET, and that did not help either.
Arm Leg Gesture Finger Thumb
Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive tire Machine Circuit component

When I replaced the IACV I saw that the surface of the valve was worn (the pictures below), which might interfere with the smooth movement of the valve, so I also replaced the THROTTLE BOY, and with the renewal momentum I have already ordered a new INJECTOR.

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Nut
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Purple Input device
Window Headgear Gas Electric blue Tints and shades
Camera lens Reflex camera Automotive tire Machine Circuit component
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Auto part Automotive lighting Machine

If I had known that in the end I had bought all the throttle components I could have saved money by buying the whole unit. It's 142USD for a complete throttle set (LINK to Super-Bikers), compared to purchasing each part individually at a total cost of about 180USD.
I still have not overcome the problem...But I'm on my way to...
I made a short videos that redefine the problem.
Problem: The battery voltage drops to the level that the engine shuts off. But even after recharging the battery the ignition is difficult. And it repeats itself, starts, the battery drains, the engine shuts down.

A one minute video I editing on the subject:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Updated
Meanwhile, I checked the Regulator / Rectifier, the Honda's service manual Book does not leave data for reference. I checked with a diode meter and the results of the diode bridge seem to me normal (The 3 "black" terminals contacts the three coils of the stator. The (+) (-) terminals contacts the Battery).
And I also checked the Regulator / Rectifier Connector, and through it the three coils of the stator.
The two test came out normal.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior

At the connector I measure 8 values as shown in the following image:
Lighting Font Handwriting Event Bumper

At the Reg/Rec I measures 13 values as shown in the following image:
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas
Electronic instrument Gas Font Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory

But I think the measurement of the coils does not reflect reality, because it is clear beyond any doubt that the battery is good and the charge is not normal (no charge).
The following video is describing the Regulator/Rectifier test:
to be continued soon ...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My problem that I described in the video attached above (LINK) has a problem that is not documented in Honda's book.
  • The battery is normal (Static voltage above 12.3 volts, and voltage above 10 volts when start-up)
  • There is no current leakage (Leakage current below the maximum allowed 0.35mA, I measured 0.02mA)
  • The charge is normal (The charging voltage at 5000 rpm is between the battery voltage and the 15.5V, I measured 14.2V)
  • The coil resistors in the stator are normal (The resistance should be between 0.1 ohms, to 1.0 ohms, and I measured on all three coils 0.9 ohms)
  • BUT there's still something wrong, According to Honda's test instructions the default in this case is that the regulator / rectifier is FAILD. But then how is it possible that charging values are at the normal range (14.2 V)?
The voltage goes down until the motor shuts off as a result of the dropping voltage. When the engine is running. When the engine is working, and until it shuts off by itself due to the decrease in voltage, at these minutes the engine is working properly, the rising at RPM when twisting the throttel is normal, not warming up, everything is normal.

To be continued soon ...
P.S.
In Honda's book P.17-5 ther is a mistake. On pages 17-3, and 17-8 Write that:
The resistance of the stator coils should be between 0.1 ohms, to 1.0 ohms.
BUT at page 17-5 the following error appears??? I think(Yes=No, No=Yes):
Product Water Rectangle Font Sky

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, ALTERNATOR Dynamic Test (AC Volt Test) does not appear in Honda Service Manual either.
I realized that the reference needs to be 30 volts AC at idle x 3 coils.
It is clear that the gap between the phases is abnormal. 9.4 <10.9 <12.5 is gap of about 25%, and of course the lower values Vs' 30V AC Is significantly lower.
My stator, the coils, require a replacement.
Below is the video I edit about the Dynamic Test:
To be continued soon ...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, overheating would cause all sorts of damage. High-temps will melt insulation on stator-coils, causing short-circuit between adjacent loops. Removes that loop from producing power and lowering overall output of stator.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
overheating would cause all sorts of damage.
Yes. as jkv357 Said before on the same issue:
Based on the deposits on the plug, I would run a strong fuel system cleaner. If the plug has deposits - so does the piston and combustion chamber. That can cause problems like detonation because of increased compression and low quality (octane) fuel. (Quote LINK)
Since I replaced the plug I rode already 1500km. The engine worked nicely with the original plug, and now it works nicely with the new plug.
I have not yet injected a detergent such as BG-K44 into the fuel system, because the engine does not heat up, and there is no concrete problem related to the issue of deposits in the engine's combustion chamber.
Now it remains for me to check if the rotor:
  1. If the magneto, has lost his magnet properties due to the suspected overheat.
  2. And check that magneto has no cracked.
As these two can also explain why the static measurement on the coils came out normal and the dynamic measurement came out very low. From there I am not expected to discover any further faults related to the incident suspected as overheating.

I think after I replacing the coils, at least I hope so, I can declare that I have finished with line alignment treatment.
I bought a motorcycle at a cheap price, and intended to take care of it and get it in proper working condition, and the project took me a little longer than I expected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts