Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my tire pressure and some guy on a new Harley came up and said he had looked at the CBR before buying his Harley. He said the Harley is great for long straight highways but he thinks the CBR would have been more fun. I told him I couldn't disagree.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
If he was actually considering a CBR at the same time as a Harley, he really doesn't have a clue.

They are at opposite ends of the motorcycle spectrum.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Everything I read said the even the smallest 883 sportster would vibrate alot and be a handful for beginners. Apples to oranges with the CBR. The only thing they have in common is that they are both motorcycles.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ptcary, I think you are being generous. The only thig in common is they have two wheels. The cbr is a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Can't compare cruisers and sport bikes. Much different rides and also different riders. Cruisers mean just that......cruising. I learned to ride on a Sportster. Didn't know any better until I rode a Ninja. There is no doubt a quarter litre bike is much easier to learn on, and certainly in my opinion a fun ride. The Sportster was like riding with a blank up my keester and really didn't like the higher revs or speeds. Came into it's own at 80k, vibrated at 110k, smoothed out at 130 but cannot push it past that as it felt like the bike wanted to split in half. Certainly cornered differently. Just like cars, people choose what they like, want, and is an expression of their personality. Same with bike choices. Right on for anyone who rides!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Everything I read said the even the smallest 883 sportster would vibrate alot and be a handful for beginners. Apples to oranges with the CBR. The only thing they have in common is that they are both motorcycles.

Yes and no. At year model 2004 all Sportsters got a new frame with vibration isolation (you can see an engine mounting linkage at the top of the front cylinder). That addition, for me, eliminates the main reason not to own a Sportster.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My first bike was am 07 sporty 883 that I big bored to a 1200. Bike vibrated less than this CBR does. Back in the day when the motor wasnt rubber mounted i can see them vibrating like a beotch but not these days.

·
Registered
795 Posts
He said the Harley is great for long straight highways but he thinks the CBR would have been more fun. I told him I couldn't disagree.
Yeap, I learned on a 00' 883, and briefly owned a 07' 883. I was glad I was riding but knew I was missing out on something. Plus the lack of suspension made the ride feel unsafe. Once on my '07 I hit a bump on the highway and almost flew off!!:eek: It was never the same after that. I got rid of the last one and got me the 250R, and never miss my old scoot.

Sure, ride what you like but you should always be able to Enjoy the Ride:D

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've never much cared for the big twins but sportsters are a lot of fun within their limitations.
Their limitations being the foot peg on the left side and the pipes on the right side :)

My old '99 Sporty was fun but I can't honestly say I miss it. The little Honda is much more entertaining in the twisties.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I waved at a pirate once, that was so stupid, what was I thinking on that deal?
How do they drive those bikes so slow and still get in so many accidents?
Just stay out of my way, slow ass, scowling pirate.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
My Sporty didn't vibrate much and I rode it on many road trips. It just didn't like the higher speeds and frankly I didn't feel that secure on it when riding at highway speeds. On the other hand the 250 loves higher rpms and speed and I have not noticed it vibrate at all as well as I find it more of a comfortable ride than the sportster. And much more funner!!! I've had my 250 up to 150k and felt very solid. Only slowed down cause of traffic.

My husband owns a Harley Softail. He has rode for close to thirty years and this is his dream bike He recently bought a Varadaro and must admit it is more nimble, less work, and a more comfortable ride. He's only taken his Softail out a couple of times this season. I think Harley's are a solid bike that endures alot of punishment but in the end a status symbol for some. Much better bikes out there and certainly more fun. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I rented a Softail for a day trip to Pinnacles from the SF Bay Area. A very nice ride on open, straight roads with maybe some easy turns. I'd rent one again if I was doing something like taking Highway 1 all the way to San Diego. But for 90% of the riding I do I prefer the CBR. Narrow little roads full of twisties in the redwoods on a Softail? Not so much fun.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Pete, I agree. Softail is a pretty bike, lots of chrome, solid. My Mini Cooper is smaller than the Harley lol. It's heavy and alot of work, on twisities and in parking lots. Too much work sometimes. Not an easy bike to quickly pull out of the garage and go for a quick burn around town. We live very close to the Rocky Mountains so most of our rides are on twisty roads. My husband much prefers the Varadaro. Lighter, more agile and much less work. Although he calls my 250 a "pocket bike" compared to what he's used to riding. I laugh in hi face lol:D My bike puts a grin on my face every time I hop on it...more so now with the new yoshi exhaust!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Years ago I had to bring my Buell to Dudley Perkins in San Francisco for warranty work. They needed to keep it a couple days to trace down a short so the owner loaned me his personal Fatboy.
Everything was fine & dandy until I got to my neck of the woods where there's nothing but beautiful twisty ribbons of aspahalt.
When I brought the Fatboy back, the floorboards had custom beveled edges.
I don't think the thing was able to lean more than 35 degrees. After I ground the boards a little it was good for almost 40 degrees. Still nothing to write home about.

And to top it off, one of the service guys tried to convince me that a good rider could ride a Fatboy as fast as my Buell on a twisty road. I showed him my scuffed peg feelers on the Buell then showed him the beveled floorboards on the hog and asked if he would care to prove it. He declined.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
My old "guy" was the black version of that, with stage one screaming eagle exhaust. Blue is much more eye-catching. I too prefer the 250, way more comfortable, tons more fun and handles like a dream. Never looking back and frankly don't miss the "ole guy". Served a purpose though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts