Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the importance of being aware of your surroundings and I also know that loud music can be a distraction and with motor cycles being what they are that could lend to a very short ride but if I am on the Hwy and can’t hear anything in the first place other than wind noise what difference does it make.

I have a long trip I am planning this year and would like to wear some head phones for the commute but it looks like 2 of the three states I am going across have laws about head phone use.

So my question is.. is this one of those feel good laws or has any one you know or yourself ever been caught with head phones in?

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Assuming that you're not wearing a shorty helment with some bright red Dr. Dre's perched on top I think that statistically this is a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
What are your thoughts?[/SIZE]
the police did notice and pointed out the headsets but was more upset about whatever he pulled me over for :mad:(several times)
personally...don't wear headsets anymore.
wind noise at 60 is loud but what if you have to slow down drastically. or what is the player falls or anything , any little distraction can be deadly on a motorcycle , the player stop playing music , the track sucks , anything that can be a distraction should be eliminated from the equation......why !? because you can die.... but like i previously stated , music when you ride is the best :):cool:
recommend if you do , turn the volume so low that you can still hear the motor running at a red light ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wear a bluetooth headset that's has helmet mounted speakers. I love that thing, I can answer a call on my cell. I've got it set up do dial certain numbers by voice command (home, 911 etc). It pipes in directions from my gps so I don't have to take my eyes off the road, and plays music off my phone.

It's that last bit though. It really is VERY rare that I listen to tunes when I'm riding.

Well one day I decide to crank it up and have a good ride and, naturally, got pulled over. I had just passed a car going up hill in a passing lane. The passing lane ends just before the crest of the hill. The cops around here are famous for parking their asses on the downhill side.

Anyway, I've got Alice in Chains cranked WAY up as the cop is talking to me. I know he probably can't here it, but I'm reading his lips because I can't hear SHITE! I swear - I thought he asked me to dance with the submarine. I also know that if I reach up and turn down the volume I'll unleash a flurry of tickets from the cop.

He reached for his walkie talkie on his shoulder, held up a finger and walked back to his cruiser. I had lucked out, it gave me a chance to turn it down. I also took the opportunity to remove my helmet.

Long story short, he knew what had happened, and I think when he saw I wasn't some kid, he let me off and sent me on my way.

It IS illegal in Ontario to wear a headset on a motorcycle. In fact, it's illegal to wear ear plugs! Pays your money, takes your chances.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Most USA states say ear plugs permitted and one speaker is allowed.
Splatt's Motorcycle Laws in 50 States
Wires running out your neck into your jacket like I have now would be pretty obvious but for me the risk of a ticket is worth it until I can spring for the Schuberth blue tooth system that is made for my helmet. Even with that I will mod it to plug into canal phones for the hearing protection they offer as is recommended by the reviewers at webBikeWorld.
2010 Motorcycle Intercom Comparison - webBikeWorld
I'm hoping for a sale in the next few weeks. If you don't speed or ride wrecklessly, your chances of getting stopped are much lower. Having a one touch mute, pause, or volume control will be worth the expense and added wind noise of a bluetooth player if you make long trips on the highway so you can turn it off through towns or if you get stopped. With my modular helmet, I can face the cop openly without letting them even see my ears.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the "whatever he pulled me over for several times" part. Maybe the cops should learn because SS is not.:)
You know my wife says I dont listen, or... some thing like that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a Sena SMH-10 headset in my helmet. It's awesome for GPS or long boring highway riding. I mean honestly if you're in the slow lane doing the speed limit +3, you're probably not going to be able to hear the other car anyways so a little music isn't so wrong. Plus with my iPhone mounted onto the handlebars I get actual GPS like you would in a car.

·
1,305 Posts
it's something i've thought about.... alittle music would be nice....

but then again i do remember a thread about 3 months ago discussing the ability to put speakers on the bike, lol.

i think i'll give the headphones a miss though, i kinda like hearing the traffic around me

·
Registered
403 Posts
Never thought about legality. I use earplugs when riding at speed on shorter trips. On a roadtrip , in-ear noise isolating earphones with Pandora and Navigation running on the phone.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
99.9 % of people that ride motorcycles are just coolguy-Xspurt-know-it-all losers , i know that , but seriously , i don't get on this website and say Kfag this or Paintball that !!!
my fans got jokes huh ? ok well the gloves are coming off , no more Mr. Niceguy :)

i see now that the haters are just jealous :mad:

i was trying to be positive and give you good advise but you Xpurts are just too much !!!

next time you are listening to your awesome music , ask yourself if it's a good song to DIE to ... and i know i didn't read some say that they talk on their blew tooth ? are some of you :confused::confused:
we don't condone cell phone usage because it can get US killed !!!!
next time ask yourself if that call is worth dying for !!!!!

no one can focus on a call & driving at the same time , unless you are an Xspurts that just says things without thinking about what they are saying !!!

and wtf !? where are all the "coolguy" cbr250 owners on this one ?(besides sloser) auffit ? Redline? BADGER ? .... who else rides with distractions !?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I ride with distractions every single day.
Soccer moms, teenagers, cell phone enthusiasts, people driving while reading, shaving, applying makeup, etc..

All these require my attention so that I may live to ride another day and sorely distract me from all the beautiful scenery.

Does that count? :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Soccer moms, teenagers, cell phone enthusiasts, people driving while reading, shaving, applying makeup, etc..

that definitely counts !!!! .... do you want to add more distractions to the ones you just listed ? like music and cell phones !!!

and you listed one of my favorite distractions ...cell phone enthusiasts.

"All these require my attention so that I may live to ride another day"
-someone that rides frequently ???:cool:

·
1,305 Posts
I ride with distractions every single day.

All these require my attention so that I may live to ride another day and sorely distract me from all the beautiful scenery.

i had to re-read that... i was thinking " how'd the f*ck he manage to shave while riding..."

·
Registered
999 Posts
i had to re-read that... i was thinking " how'd the f*ck he manage to shave while riding..."
LOL
That would be a neat trick.
I imagine it would require a novelty helmet and a long downhill stretch of road so you could take both hands off the bars.

That put one hell of a hilarious image in my head :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
Back to topic:

In all my years I've never ridden with music. I've thought about it once or twice but never committed to trying it so I don't know if it would distract me or not.

I'm guessing it would. I know in my younger days driving with the stereo blasting always resulted in me driving much faster than I should. Even to this day, if AC/DC comes on the speedo needle rises very quickly :D

I probably never will try the music thing on a bike. It's just one more thing to come between me and my surroundings.

Then again I may just be overly cautious. When I'm driving the work truck and someone calls me, even though I have one of those hands free things, I actually pull over to answer it or ignore it completely if I'm on the freeway. I do this for my safety and the safety of others.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You turn it off if there is any traffic. Following along in line at 70mph for hours on end there is nothing to hear but wind noise.
Since I am the OP I would like to reiterate that my question was geared to use of headphone during hwy travel. This thread was not designed as a format to question or belittle the use of those who wear them to loud or in environments where such use could cause an issue or a safety hazard.
I have come to the conclusion that I will probably wear them and get an inline volume/ mute control to turn them off or down.
I have been reading a few threads on this topic on other boards and it has been stated that some guys wont wear them because it makes it hard to concentrate and I can understand this since music can invoke an emotional response but to be honest most of what I plan to listen to on this trip will be talk radio or books. I don't think "Road to serfdom" is going to get me pumped and miss a turn or fly around a corner to fast.

SS I enjoy your commentary.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Never been caught, but no laws in Canada I know of except the distracted driver laws with handheld devices. I own the Sena SMH10 headphones that can pair up to 4 different riders. Bluetooth capable that can pipe in your tunes off the phone and also communicate with the other riders. I dial it down in city traffic but blast the tunes on highway riding. Cuts down wind noise which I find quite tiring.

Mtealstorm....LOVE AC/DC....especially Thunderstruck. Gotta ride highway speeds with that tune. Pure bliss!

·
Registered
999 Posts
If I ever try out the headphone thing, the very first song I'll play will be AC/DC's 'Back in Black'.

Though with my luck it would probably be quickly followed by 'I Fought the Law and the Law Won' :)

To the OP,
Sorry if I swayed from the main purpose of your thread.
My $.02 is if you want tunes on your ride go with a wireless setup. Depending on the laws where you live, if you're ever stopped for any reason it won't look good to have wires dangling out of your helmet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts