Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since before I got my 250 I usually heard the tale that manual cars and motorcycle will shut off if you let go of the clutch without accelerating, but pretty much at a stand still or crawling pace. Even when I took the bike out of the dealership and the salesman offered to show me how to ride for a few minutes. I asked if a motorcycle could accelerate slowly by itself like an automatic car and he said no.

But for some time now I noticed that this is somewhat untrue.

Some time ago I experimented with the clutch's friction point and got the cbr to accelerate by itself up to 4MPH and it would cruise at that speed without the need for the clutch or manual acceleration. The bike would slightly chug while doing this if going up even a very slight hill, but on flat road it would run perfectly fine. It would also go up to 6MPH in 2nd and 3rd gear just chugs the whole way, so I guess 2nd is its limit.

I also managed to do this exact same thing with my friend's manual car in first and reverse while I was driving manual for the first time. Even he said that the car would just shut off, but I proved him wrong.

I thought this was a very good way to slowly train myself to take extremely small tight corners and it worked great and I used this method to train my friend to ride, so he would get the feel of moving on a motorcycle before even touching the accelerator.

So do others know that this can be done, did they know but just say it can't to get people to avoid putting the bike through stress, or do most people just assume it can't be done?

·
Registered
706 Posts
In a little 4 cylinder car it just puts too much wear on the clutch because you have to slip it a lot to do it. On the bike it's a wet clutch made to be slipped a little so it's not a big deal but way too slow to ride like that. Now in my car it's a V6 with a really heavy flywheel that keeps the engine from bogging down easily. If you just let the clutch out at idle without hitting the gas it will not stall but it will be quite rough. It's probably the easiest manual to drive ever lol

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Never paid attention. My Mini and jeep are standards and I'm used to "crawling" when necessary. Same with bike. Personally, I don't like chug chugging along, give myself whiplash lol. :eek:

Good on ya for testing the bikes limits though

·
Registered
611 Posts
How Slow can you go.

Greetings Honda CBR 250 Rider,

Each time you shift to a higher gear. Increase the throttle to maintain Idle rpms. You should be able to reach and maintain a smooth ride in 5th gear. Then try 6th.

·
Registered
999 Posts
If a vehicle has enough torque and is geared low enough, you can let out the clutch with out using the gas and it will move.

The truck I have to drive at work is like that. It's an old Chevy pickup with a dump bed that the boss had built up a bit.

Second gear is actually first and takes right off by just letting the clutch out. Even going up mild hills.
First gear is "Granny Gear". You don't want to gas it taking off in granny gear or you end up popping wheelies. I don't mean pretty wheelies either. I mean short, abrupt, ugly front end lifts :)

Normal everyday commuter vehicles will usually stall if you don't apply gas because there isn't enough power at idle to turn the drivetrain.

On Edit: My old Buell was another one that needed no gas to move forward. That thing was a freaking tractor :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You can do it...there aren't a lot of times where it is necessary. I don't get why he said you can't do it..all the clutch is doing is putting you into gear..if you have enough speed and don't stall the engine it will work fine.

I guess you can't trust everyone at dealerships:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure getting your bike using the friction zone only to move is part of the MSF.

·
1,305 Posts
yeah i do this pretty much everyday in second gear...

no gas, no clutch.. 7mph...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Never paid attention. My Mini and jeep are standards and I'm used to "crawling" when necessary. Same with bike. Personally, I don't like chug chugging along, give myself whiplash lol. :eek:

Good on ya for testing the bikes limits though
Jeep: Check
Bike: Check
Drives stick: Check
Canadian: ......................

LOL, sorry had to.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Jeep: Check
Bike: Check
Drives stick: Check
Canadian: ......................

LOL, sorry had to.
Awh Man!!!!!!.......I was SOOOO close lol :eek::eek:;);):cool:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Awh Man!!!!!!.......I was SOOOO close lol :eek::eek:;);):cool:
Haha, I watch "How I Met Your Mother" too much... I always get a kick out of their Canadian jokes.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
If I understand correctly (and forgive me if I haven't) you're labouring the engine "chugging" and this is far worse for it than over revving it. The crankshaft journals require oil pressure to be effective, if you labour the engine, oil pressure drops too low for these bearings to work properly. This is obviously not a good situation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts