Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting here reading something when I realized. I've never heard the fan come on on my bike. Come to think of it, I've never seen it go above 3 bars on the temp gauge. Even riding through some high 80'sF temps in stop and go traffic.

Anybody?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I hear some vibration at about 6-7k rpms coming from the front of the bike, probably just means I need to tighten something, but no, never heard the fan, and probably never should :-D

·
Registered
256 Posts
i heard it several times this summer in 100+ degree weather. 2 or 3 times at least when I came to a stop and left the motor running. It is louder than I would have expected. I don't think it came on while riding but I don't know that you could hear it if it did. It came on with the temp. bars still on 3. I believe it still ran with the engine turned off and the ignition still on, on at least one occassion.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Never had more than 3 bars too.
Just stop the engine after a ride, leave the key turned to "ON" position, you will hear it.
It seldom starts when the bike is running, I think the liquid cooling system works pretty well on this small engine :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm.. Next warm day I'll take for a scoot and then lit it idle some and see if it comes on. Judging by the comments, it must get switched on at 4 bars.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Several time; do this experiement if you're still skeptical & want to test
Do some offroading so that there's muck collected on your radiator; then ride on the highway for sometime, you can notice the fan running quite frequently.

·
Registered
210 Posts
haha, I didn't even know it had a fan. I thought the radiator was ram air cooled only. ! learned something today

·
Registered
329 Posts
No bungie, it does not get the fourth bar since the fan activates earlier.
Do as I said if you want to be sure: ride up to the third bar, stop the engine but keep the key in to ON position (lights on, display on, engine off if someone is wondering) and you will hear the fan starting to do its job.
I think from the positioning is quite impossible to hear the fan with engine running at more than 30 km/h.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After my daily ride home from Brisbane in the afternoon (air temp say 24o C) and let it idle in the garage, it cuts in after about 3 mins...on for 30 secs, then off for another few mins. It's a grunty little bugger!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Guys if it ever goes above 3 bars you have a problem and need to shut down IMMEDIATELY. Not doing so could cause permanent damage to the engine or at minimum blow a head gasket. This is also probably not covered under warranty due to the fact they can consider it negligence.

·
Registered
426 Posts
to resurrect an old thread. i was wondering about the fan as well.
Not concerned that it doesnt work. As Rick above says, did not know it
had a fan when i got the bike. Just curious if it is noticable when it goes on.

On my former Piaggio X9 in traffic on even cool days (15c) the fan would come on
and it was really noticable. Was quite loud and could feel slight vibrations. It surprised me first time it came on. a WTF is that moment.

Did some riding thru traffic this past weekend in 18c temps and the temp gauge stayed at 3 bars. CBR250 must have a great super efficient cooling system, atleast compared to the X9. Going to check the owners manual in a min to double check somebody5788 statement. I am guessing the temp gauge goes to 6 bars like the fuel gauge. seems odd that 4 bars means the engine is about to explode.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The fan will activate at 3 bars, but you just dont notice it,l its small and quiet
Bike should never get up to 4 bars, mine doesnt even in 40 degree heat.

·
Registered
426 Posts
well in my owners manual the temp gauge goes to 6 bars and it says that if the 6th bar is flashing the bike is in over heat condition. Like Aufitt states i doubt i will ever see it go above 3bars as it rarely gets very hot here. Not sure where Somebody5788 got his info regarding damage to bike if 4 bars is showing but i suspect it was said "tongue in cheek"
aka not sure if serious.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hum. Thought I updated this thread.

My fan comes on at 3 bars. But it so quiet you just don't here it.

My FJR, you *KNOW* when the fans come on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts