Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do that, so you know the feeling in a panic one day, hopefully never.

I tried it on gravel the other day at about 20kph :) "funny" to feel pedals jumps under braking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the abs work well? Do you think its beneficial?
Yep, like many manufactors do, like Honda, Yamaha, Mercedes, Bmw, and on and on and on :)

I just wanted it to test if everything worked as it should.

I just passed over 1600km on this great machine

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ok let me rephrase that. When you tested it do you think it works well and would you take it over a non abs bike? Do you think it will help in an emergency stop? How does it compare to non abs bikes you have ridden?
I have never ridden an abs bike so I do not know.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok let me rephrase that. When you tested it do you think it works well
Yes. just like a car ( i have drivinglicense and a old car)

and would you take it over a non abs bike?
i would rather have an abs than a non´

Do you think it will help in an emergency stop?
Yes, because you dont have time to think HOW hard you shall press the brake, you just do it.

Example:
Non abs= (Theres a car coming from the left and not stopping :

bikedriver: "now *yawn* :) let me think...i dont want to hit hard on the brakes here, because i can steer me out of it, if i lock up im on the floor, i have 1 sec. to all this, ups times up" :eek:

How does it compare to non abs bikes you have ridden?
i rembember a situation on the road in city - I had the cbr125rw before, i was driving behind a car, he stopped where he should and then he drove again and stopped because he overlookd a car, i thought he kept going, i paniced and hit the frontbrake with that result i was on one wheel juust about to tip over - that wouldnt had happend with a abs.
I was not driving to close, im very cautious with that - i was just surpriced over it and paniced.

I have never ridden an abs bike so I do not know.
Okey dokey :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
"Yes, because you dont have time to think HOW hard you shall press the brake, you just do it."

I would have to disagree with that. It takes a bit for a bike to stop after slamming on the brakes, ive had my rear lock up and slide but was able to release it. Practicing proper braking techiniques, abs or not it is essential to practice.

"i rembember a situation on the road in city - I had the cbr125rw before, i was driving behind a car, he stopped where he should and then he drove again and stopped because he overlookd a car, i thought he kept going, i paniced and hit the frontbrake with that result i was on one wheel juust about to tip over - that wouldnt had happend with a abs.
I was not driving to close, im very cautious with that - i was just surpriced over it and paniced."

You shouldnt fixate on that car in front of you. Look ahead of it, scan the area. Doesnt seem like you were paying attention. Think about it, if you had rear ended him you would have been the at fault driver. Why were you going that fast approaching a car that had already stopped? You say you hit the front brake, why not the rear brake too? Had you hit the rear brake too you wouldnt have been on one wheel.
ABS is not a replacement for proper riding techniques is all im saying. I think it would be great in rain and on slick surfaces.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
An interesting thread, starting with Kim testing the ABS on a gravel surface. It kicked in..... but from page 63 of the manual for the Malaysian spec CBR250R:

In some situations, a motorcycle with ABS may require a longer stopping distance to stop on loose or uneven surfaces than an equivalent motorcycle without ABS.

"Yes, because you dont have time to think HOW hard you shall press the brake, you just do it."

I would have to disagree with that. It takes a bit for a bike to stop after slamming on the brakes, ive had my rear lock up and slide but was able to release it. Practicing proper braking techiniques, abs or not it is essential to practice.

No time to think / panic.... suggests going too fast to me. Riders who have learned and practiced braking skills need little time to think, and are less likely to panic.

You shouldnt fixate on that car in front of you. Look ahead of it, scan the area.

Probably the most important thing for a motorcyclist to realise. A lot of the rest sort of follows from this, especially when turning or in emergency situations.

Look where you want to go, not at what you want to avoid

ABS is not a replacement for proper riding techniques is all im saying. I think it would be great in rain and on slick surfaces.
Final word from the CBR250R Owners' Manual:

ABS cannot make up for road conditions, bad judgment, or improper operation of the brakes. It is still your responsibility to ride at reasonable speeds for weather, road surface, and traffic conditions, and to leave a margin of safety.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
ABS distributes braking power between both wheels. Front brake still does 70% of braking and ABS does not rescue a rider with poor judgement. ABS may require longer stopping distance in inclement weather. A plus is when hard braking does occur the energy is transfered to both wheels. One could still end up ass over tea kettle if one does not pay attention to whats going on around him and anticipates potential dangers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We just remember that "ABS" was banned in formula one - they gained close to 2 sec. pr lap
I would love to see you and me brake better than ABS while in panic

I agree with Honda, Mercedes, Bmw, Yamaha.. just remember theres a reason for the manufactors for putting ABS on their vechiles :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
ABS is great but not a substitute for proper riding techniques. Im also worried about what happens when a person who has only ridden an abs bike has the abs system fail during a panic stop. I know its a small chance but what then?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I agree with Madd-trapper and Michael...try not to get ourselves in a panic situation. Panic releases adrenalin which by all intensive purposes takes away cognitive thought lol ABS is great but good responsible riders are greater. I have the black ABS model. Love it. Also rode non abs bikes and always had the practice of using both front and rear brakes and allowed pleanty of stop time. I'm not a formula one driver, never will be, have no intrest in gaining 2 sec....my personal motto is "ride safe, live to ride- ride to live and keep shiney side up"

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Madtrapper, everything can fail on a bike, like your brakepad

And fortunately all those manufactors like Honda, Mercedes, Bmw, Yamaha etc agree with me about ABS :)

So, back to my post :) have YOU with the abs tried YOUR abs, so you know the feeling when/if the day comes?
If not, do it soon as possible, more than once.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Im sure all those manufactures also expect you to properly operate their product. Actually thats about the first 25% of the manual.
If I lose a brake pad I know what to do. Will an inexpereienced rider used to only abs be able to deal with total front and rear lock up during an abs fail. Probaly not. Will it happen probaly not.
Dont take it personal not picking on you but go back and read all the response posts. ABS will not save you if all you do is panic and dont have the necessary riding skills.
Ive spent the last 21 years seeing every type of nasty carnage on the roadways. Just trying to spare you from what I call 'hamburger meat people".

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Ok Kim....you convinced me...I'll go and practice "panic-brakes" but only if you lend me YOUR bike!! :eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

"i rembember a situation on the road in city - I had the cbr125rw before, i was driving behind a car, he stopped where he should and then he drove again and stopped because he overlookd a car, i thought he kept going, i paniced and hit the frontbrake with that result i was on one wheel juust about to tip over - that wouldnt had happend with a abs.
I was not driving to close, im very cautious with that - i was just surpriced over it and paniced."

You shouldnt fixate on that car in front of you. Look ahead of it, scan the area. Doesnt seem like you were paying attention. Think about it, if you had rear ended him you would have been the at fault driver. Why were you going that fast approaching a car that had already stopped? You say you hit the front brake, why not the rear brake too? Had you hit the rear brake too you wouldnt have been on one wheel.
I just read you are accusation me for driving fast, I dont remember i wrote i was driving fast, do you see that anywhere in my post??

My english is not the best, so i try again; the reason why he stopped and started again and then stopped was that there was full stop sign:

I was sitting behind him at the full stop, no cars, then he drove again to about 20kph, and then stopped (he had poor visiblity at the full stop)
As mentioned in post i drove on the former cbr125rw at that time, the cbr1225rw weighs about...well noting, so it IS possible to
tip on front wheel at that speed.
Its funny to read you are so perfect that you know you wont panic :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
live_to_ride - As you apparently didnt want to see; this thread was for them who have the abs version :)

It wasnt about GAINING 2 sec. you missed the point :) WHY did they gain 2 sec - there was no wheel lockup.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
live_to_ride - As you apparently didnt want to see; this thread was for them who have the abs version :)

It wasnt about GAINING 2 sec. you missed the point :) WHY did they gain 2 sec - there was no wheel lockup.
Kim...I have the cbr 250 abs model, and I also ride a honda cbf 1000...with abs. I don't, by any means, claim to know everything about riding. I agree with you that it is good to test out our breaking system to know what the bike and what WE are capable of doing. However, I will never feel that my bikes abs will be the sole means of getting me out of a jam. I would hope it would be my defensive driving mentality ie "everyones out to get me", and anticipating the unpredictable actions of drivers. As well, I did get the gaining of 2 sec, I posted that I don't claim to be a race driver. I do see your point of the 2 sec gain when it comes to stopping and no wheel lock up. which can pertain to us with an abs version, which brings me back to my point of anticipation and defensive riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i tested the abs earlier sort of. was doing kind of quick, about 15km/h or 10m/h and squeezed the front brakes and the bike stopped so quickly. i didnt feel any shudder or anything but the back wheel came up in the air. some stupid car pulled out of a driveway in front of me, gave them an ear full of my horn though, maybe they will think twice about almost killing me next time huh.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts