Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here.:)
I grew up in the 60's when small bikes began to take over from the bigger British bikes. Everything from 80cc 2-strokes to the Honda CB450. They were affordable, reliable and fast for their size.

First the Ninja 250 caught my eye, then the CBR250R. They remind me of how much fun it was to ride a Yamaha, Honda, or a Ducati with a good 1/4 liter engine.

Yesterday, out on my BMW('87 R100S), a CBR250R went sweeping around a corner that I was stopped at, and today, on a major highway north of Toronto, one buzzed by me at about 120kph (75mph).

I like my Beemer, and have made it about as good as it can be, but there are some things I miss. The agility of a smaller bike (used to race a 125GP), modern engine technology, and the "gas 'n' go" reliability.

So -
Are these bikes just barely adequate?
Do you feel like you're flogging it to death to get decent acceleration and good highway speed?
Do they corner well?

Maybe Honda will have another "ride day" before the snow flies.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not a small guy, 225lbs(102Kg) and I find that my bike has enough oomph to get me where I need to go without struggling. On a flat road(a.k.a. Interstate) I can get it past 80, which is over what's necessary, and it doesn't seem to struggle too much getting there. The cornering is great, even with stock rubber. I've only put about 1000miles(1609Km) on mine, and it's the only bike I've ever ridden, so maybe someone with more experience will tell ya different, but I'm loving mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went from an cbr600f3, to a cx500c, to a hawk 650gt, to a vtx1300r, and finally settled on a cbr250r... All in four years. I love my cbr250 and it's a lifetime keeper. I'm 6-1, 210lbs and when it's around 60degF in the morning, the liter will definitely not dog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Barely adequate is a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator. Step up to a Honda Rebel. Ever ride a CB350 from the early seventies? I would guess the answer would be yes. While the 250 does not match the old CB350 it's close, and as you said the fuel injection, long oil change intervals, tubeless tires. No comparison on the brakes of course.

Basically take the old CB350 knock a little off the acceleration, everything else is light years ahead and you have the CB250R. I weigh 210 and 6 feet tall. I wish I was your height and weight, it would make riding my CBR that much better.

regards
Badger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts