Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I failed at a Projector lens install and baked my headlight in the oven too long.

I need a new headlight ASAP!

Anyone know where to get them soon. Honda Australia have none!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Guys,

I failed at a Projector lens install and baked my headlight in the oven too long.

I need a new headlight ASAP!

Anyone know where to get them soon. Honda Australia have none!
How hot did you have it?

That's not normally a stock item and would be ordered in. That should be the fastest way to get one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How hot did you have it?

That's not normally a stock item and would be ordered in. That should be the fastest way to get one.

I had the oven on 200C. STUPID i know! I have asked my dealer and they quoted $350. I called a Wreckers and they said $280 because there aren't any in australia. I can't even order it from Honda Australia because they have none.

Everyone is screwing me over because Honda Australia don't have any. I've got a contact in Thailnd and they Quoted $81 AUD. I think i'm going for the Thailand Option!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tyga performance

33110-KYJ-901 Headlight Unit Comp 2,418 80.60

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tyga performance

33110-KYJ-901 Headlight Unit Comp 2,418 80.60
I've contacted TYGA via email and am awaiting a response but it is coming up to christmas so not expecting a reply straight away. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just had one delivered here so have the weight and dimensions of the box. It's 16.5"x11.75"x11.75 inches and 2lbs 10 oz. USPS has 5 day delivery for that box at a little less than $50. Look at: International Price Calculator

Knowing that I'd be emailing some of the US online Honda OEM parts stores seeing how close they'd come to that price

·
Registered
30 Posts
New to technical things.

Just a quick question , not sure why you put your headlight in the oven. What were you trying to do? Please explain.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What does it look like now? I imagine it looks like a melted toy soldier under a magnifying glass...*

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick question , not sure why you put your headlight in the oven. What were you trying to do? Please explain.
In regards to baking the headlight.

I'm installing a projector lens in my headlight in place of the stock H4 globe.

In order to seperate the clear plastic section from the black plastic section of the headlight assembly you need to bake it at LOW tempreture to melt the black silicone holding it together.

Don't go take a piss when doing this like i did or it will end in a melted headlight!

This Video will explain everything i'm doing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does it look like now? I imagine it looks like a melted toy soldier under a magnifying glass...*
Basically the clear plastic part of the headlight has bubbled under the heat and is not usable for anything. The black plastic part of the Headlight assembly is fine for some reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've heard rumours of bikes failing MOT tests in England with these installed. I don't know if they're true or not.
Probably the reason they would fail is due to the wiring of the headlight. I believe here in Australia if a bike comes stock with the headlight wired on always and you modify it to have the headlight with an on/off switch you will fail registration (MOT for England).

I'm aiming to leave it wired in stock so i don't have a problem.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Those projectors from the video look like the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. Those are good projectors right there! That video makes the process of retrofitting projectors into a reflector headlight seem quite simple but I assure you it is not. For those of you baking your headlights remember that it is better to set the temperature to a lower setting and bake slightly longer than setting it high and melting your headlight housing. Trust me! I melted one of my car's headlights once (not bad enough to not be able to use it though). Oh! Don't be surprised if your headlight housing starts getting foggy on the inside after baking them apart when riding in the cold/rain or washing the bike. Headlights are harder to seal back properly than they are to take apart!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those projectors from the video look like the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. Those are good projectors right there! That video makes the process of retrofitting projectors into a reflector headlight seem quite simple but I assure you it is not. For those of you baking your headlights remember that it is better to set the temperature to a lower setting and bake slightly longer than setting it high and melting your headlight housing. Trust me! I melted one of my car's headlights once (not bad enough to not be able to use it though). Oh! Don't be surprised if your headlight housing starts getting foggy on the inside after baking them apart when riding in the cold/rain or washing the bike. Headlights are harder to seal back properly than they are to take apart!
All points I agree on entirely. Good info in this post. Someone get this person a beer!

It seems like a trivial mistake to melt a headlight but trust me it's very easy to do.

The rest of the install is quite easy and I will be doing a video on this after christmas. I found a great way to wire in the hi/low and angel/demon eyes on the cbr that requires no splicing of wires and you can easily revert the light back to stock.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Good luck on the install. I am not a fan of CCFL's myself. They were cool 6 years ago when only luxury vehicles had them but now they just look tacky in my opinion (thanks to all the ebay garbage headlights). Also, I've never seen the point on drawing that much power initially to light up the halos...

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Probably the reason they would fail is due to the wiring of the headlight. I believe here in Australia if a bike comes stock with the headlight wired on always and you modify it to have the headlight with an on/off switch you will fail registration (MOT for England).

I'm aiming to leave it wired in stock so i don't have a problem.
I think it's more down to the aim of the beam. Over here, it goes more to the left than the right, as we ride on the left. In other countries, where they ride on the right, the opposite applies. The headlamps on bikes are country specific, depending on which side of the road you ride on.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here in the states you can usually still pass inspection assuming it is aimed properly and meets all the requirements they would put on a car or bike that had the Bi Xenon kit from the factor. The one thing that would fail a person is using a 55w kit vs a 35w kit that comes standard on vehicles in the US.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts