Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
As the title suggests I am hoping to get into this sport. I aim on starting slow (CBR350 or the Kawasaki couterpart).

However, I need all of your help. I am looking to do my due diligence and do the research before I jump into the sport. By this I mean, I need to determine my gear, process for purchasing the bike, should I expect to outgrow it soon.... etc.

I am hoping you all can provide some input or at least point me to any rescources you know of that I don't (Which I am versy sure will be the case). Dont hesitate to share anything (gears reviews, sites with gear reviews, bike information etc)

I look forward to interacting with all.

-1-

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm new myself but I can tell you to find, at the minimum, a nice comfortable motorcycle jacket with a removable liner(especially since you live where it gets pretty chilly even in the spring and fall), a good pair of gloves(both a warm pair for colder weather and a good, light breathable pair for warmer days) and a good helmet(IMO anything but a full face looks weird on a sportbike like the cbr).

I did a lot of research before buying my first bike and came to the conclusion fairly quick that the cbr is a MUCH better bike at everything except straight line acceleration than the ninja 250. It is fuel injected (the ninja is STILL carb'ed), has better low end power(which is what you want for a bike that is for day to day driving, not racing), better gas mileage and a much nicer modern instrument cluster. As far as looks I think it's about a tie because they both look very up to date and sporty.

As far as the "process" of buying a bike??? Go to a dealer and buy one or find one online and buy it, not much of a "process". LOL

Unless you're looking for a lot of speed or something I doubt you'll out grow the bike fast because it has more than enough power for daily commuting and even running down the interstate and it's an absolute blast to ride! I think you'll have many years of fun and enjoyment out of a CBR 250.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. You mentioned you had some suggestions on where to get solid gear, but i dont think you actually named a place.

Also for gear, how much should i be spending. Or better yet, below what price does helmet quality deteriorate? I know all US lids are DOT but I dont know if the quality of the item is the same all accross the board (suspect it isnt)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks for the response. You mentioned you had some suggestions on where to get solid gear, but i dont think you actually named a place.

Also for gear, how much should i be spending. Or better yet, below what price does helmet quality deteriorate? I know all US lids are DOT but I dont know if the quality of the item is the same all accross the board (suspect it isnt)
Uhh gear is your own personal preference. Swing by a dealer and try some stuff on.

Because I chose to buy the CBR, my dealer was able to give me a discount on Honda gear. That mixed with my military discount knocked off nearly 50%.

For gloves I chose:

For a helmet I chose:

For a jacket I chose:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
All,
As the title suggests I am hoping to get into this sport. I aim on starting slow (CBR350 or the Kawasaki couterpart).

However, I need all of your help. I am looking to do my due diligence and do the research before I jump into the sport. By this I mean, I need to determine my gear, process for purchasing the bike, should I expect to outgrow it soon.... etc.

I am hoping you all can provide some input or at least point me to any rescources you know of that I don't (Which I am versy sure will be the case). Dont hesitate to share anything (gears reviews, sites with gear reviews, bike information etc)

I look forward to interacting with all.

-1-
As one potential CBR250R owner to another, welcome......

The odd few on the forum seem to feel that actually owning a CBR250R (even if it means going into debt to do so) is a prerequisite to being here ands having an opinion. I could pay cash for one now, but have no need of a 250 at present; my 15 year old 100 fulfills my needs. The situation is likely to change when/if I return to my home country towards the end of the year.

Having owned a few bikes over the years (including an earlier incarnation of a Honda 250 single for about five years), and ridden others, I like the quarter litre class as the sweet spot between lightweight economical commuters, and highway blasters that cost more than a small to medium sized car to keep on the road.

To me motorcycles are transport, not a sport. If you want to make a sport of motorcycling, the track or some other form of competition is the place to do it.

On paper, and in the experience of many, the CBR250R seems to be a better daily ride than the slightly faster, but less economical Ninja 250. If speed is what you are after, with the Ninja you could soon be looking for just a little more, just a little bigger. For a day to day use, the Honda could well be all the bike you need.

As to gear, I suggest you get what suits your needs, rather than some image you want to generate. Get stuff you will use, rather than stuff which is a hassle to use.

·
Registered
534 Posts

As mentioned earlier get the best your budget will allow and buy local unless your shop is just greedy idiots. I found a bunch of nice, quality riding jackets (non-leather obviously for the price) with removable liners and elbow, shoulder and back padding that is also removable for low $100's online and my dealer had a really nice fulmer jacket for $119 so I just got it there at the dealer. As far as the helmet I would tell the dealer (if you go that route) that you want a nice helmet thrown in with the deal. That's what I did and got a nice full face helmet with clear and smoked shields for free(and no they didn't just tack it on because I did that after we had the agreement writtne up). If you can't find local places with good prices I'd at least go local and try the stuff on because sizes vary GREATLY between manufacturers. I tried on one large helmet and about popped a blood vessel it was so tight but the helmet I got(a different brand) fit fine in a large. Make sure the helmet is at least DOT approved too, which I "think" they have to be to even sell them??

TheAOP: I LOVE that jacket and almost bought one online identical to it except it was red/black but I decided on getting the one from the local guy. Plus the cbr one was a little bit more and funds were already getting a little tight. I LOVE the gloves too! I'm looking for a better pair than what I have for now which are sadly just a pair of the all black mechanix gloves with the padding in the palm and the rubber "armor" over the knuckles and fingers. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanka for the welcomes and responses. As far as gear, I inderstand what you are saying about buying the best I can afforD. I just want to make sure I am spending more for quality and not for name recognition. I've selected some potential gear, when I got a full list I will share it here.
Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Prophesizer! I actually just ordered my gear today. My classmate told me about the site he uses: Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets & Motorcycle Gear at Competition Accessories. It's pretty cool b/c they have everything you could imagine. Also, as long as you DON'T live in SC, they don't charge sales tax. Now, if there are local stores for gear, GO in there and try on what you're interested in. All these companies have different sizing. A large in Joe Rocket could be a medium in Icon. I went to a couple stores to try on jackets, found out which size I wore and went to the website and ordered. Also, do the same on helmets. I decided to order a Shoei RF-1100 for my helmet, and since I plan to ride all year long to school, I ordered a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 jacket. I still need gloves though. I'm waiting until I get the rest of my gear to get the gloves though. Check out the website. Also, my buddy uses a Scorpion EXO750 helmet. I really like that helmet b/c its affordable, comfy, and you can pump up the cheek pads. It's only 250 but it's actually on clearance on that website for 168. The "Chameleon" color is fierce. I offerred to buy his helmet from him but he refused so I decided to go with the Shoei Sylvan. Either way, buy the best gear you can. I'm not a pessimist but I know that one day, I'm gonna either drop my bike or eat it while riding. Better to be prepared.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get whatever protects you but also is comfortable. I personally couldn't find any winter gloves that were NOT something you would see on Mt. Everest. Everything seemed to have a lack of flexibility. I got some northface fleece gloves that keep me warm and give me flexibility.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. I think i have narrowed my jacket choices down to two:
Icon Overlord (feels real solid and heavy, made with leather)
and their is an out of season AlpineStars jacket i saw ( cannot think of the name) but it appeared solid and had some conspicuous color scheme (very important to me)

As for a helmet, I tried a few on, none really stuck out. Wont really know until I buy one and ride with it. I liked some icons and a scorpion but I am leaning towards starting with a Bell Vortex (heard it is stupid loud though....so that idea may evaporate)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Speed and Strength. The Bell's are complete ****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts