Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that in the U.S. they let you ride without a helmet in over 30 of 50 states. I think that's crazy, but apparently lots of people disagree.

Just curious. Call this a survey ...

1) Would you ride without a helmet if you did not need to by law? Ever? Never? Sometimes?

2) Would you ride in street clothes, or always wear extra gear like a jacket, gloves, boots, etc.?

Vote!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've ridden without a helmet before, but don't think it's smart as a practice. I've never gone far like that.

I knew a guy who crashed, and his girlfriend on the back hit her head on a curb, and died instantly. He was devastated, and has to live with that the rest of his life. (And if it was he who died ... )

People can do what they want, but it's obvious helmets make a difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've read that in the U.S. they let you ride without a helmet in over 30 of 50 states. I think that's crazy, but apparently lots of people disagree.

Just curious. Call this a survey ...

1) Would you ride without a helmet if you did not need to by law? Ever? Never? Sometimes?

2) Would you ride in street clothes, or always wear extra gear like a jacket, gloves, boots, etc.?

Vote!

1) Helmet protects brain.
2) Don't wear helmet = must mean you have no brain to protect.

I always wear gear. I've crashed when it was no fault of my own. Seen too many people injured bad and even killed.

Road rash sucks. Broken bones are worse. Death can ruin your whole day.

Motorcycles are not surf boards. If you dress for surfing on your two wheeler, you are an idiot.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I always wear gear. I've crashed when it was no fault of my own. Seen too many people injured bad and even killed.

Motorcycles are not surf boards. If you dress for surfing on your two wheeler, you are an idiot.

Wow. Tell us how you really feel :D

·
Registered
879 Posts

Vary well said and I totally agree

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah i agree with wearing gear, regardless of either or not it looks cool or not, Even with seadoo'in as well, Man that life jacket helps a lot! I remember hitting a wave and flying off the seadoo and hitting the water at about 30KPH it really hurt, and you just become in utter shock as of what just happened!

i could only imagine how bad it would be to fall off a bike, i guarantee 10000X worse than falling off a seadoo.

·
Registered
193 Posts
After laying my VT750DC down last fall in a round-about I'm very glad I was wearing all my gear. I hit my helmet hard enough that I don't remember the dismount and stop. My left clavicle snapped mid-shaft and I got several bruises, but the helmet, leather jacket, gloves and pants did their job. I shudder to think of the outcome had I not donned all the gear.

There are two kinds of motorcycle riders, those who have "laid her down" and those who think that it will never happen to them. For those in the latter group (like I used to be), please wear your gear. Sooner or later you WILL join the former group.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i will always wear my helment. as for gear, the gloves will also be worn always, but depends on the weather if i wear a jacket or not...i dunno how comfy it'll be when it's 100 degrees and 85% humidity...

·
Registered
879 Posts
I live in the U.S. Michigan and we have a helmet law. But if we didnt I would never ride with out it. I also wear all my gear as much as possible. Sometimes in the summer it gets really hot and i cheat a little. You just never know whats going to happen and if something does go wrong your way better off with it for sure

·
Registered
69 Posts
My plan is to always wear my gear. The reality of wearing a (textile w/ vents) jacket and black pants in 90+ degree weather is a big question of mine. My guess is that I will turn to Mesh gear if I find riding in that heat is really making me second guess wearing my gear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It should be ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time)
Though I'm not following ATGATT, I make sure that I always wear a Full faced Helmet, my riding gloves and good shoes while riding my bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Better to be safe than sorry.
Practicing safe motorcycle riding can save your life!
I see crazy people riding motorcycles with no helmets. If they were to fall, it won't be a pretty sight. It just makes sense to be safe. Motorcycle helmet at the minimum. agree?

·
281 Posts
All gear, all the time. The experts say you are most vulnerable when you first start out each ride...head not quite into the "full defensive mode". With full gear, glancing blows or sliding will be a lot less painful.......

·
Registered
99 Posts
Id rather fully gear up and not be "cool" cause if i fall i'll look like even more of an idiot without protective gear with major injuries and scares all over my body!

Safety first, it saves your life, and protects you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just like what someone here said. If you ain't wearing a helmet that must mean that there's nothing for you to protect anyway. The least I wore was Helmet, Gloves, and Jacket with jeans and sneakers. I've had road rash before and for me I can live with road rash but can't live with a crushed skull or a broken spine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In PA you can ride legally in your bathing suit. I ride with a full coverage helmut (just bought a new scorpion convertable..sweet) leather bright colored jacket (helps to be seen & protected) gloves, riding boots, & if its not steamy hot, leather chaps. Leather is one **** a lot tougher than my skin, & it is plain ignorant not to wear a helmut.

I went down 25 years ago & had my RD350 (sweet 2-stroke) sliding over me as I imagined I was be grounding into hamburger. Got up, bloody legs, sore arm (abraised thru a leather jacket) shredded jeans & tennis shoes, full helmut (gashed pretty deep), sore but not broken or deeply gashed. I'm a believer in gear. Road rash is painful, a crushed skull is death. Leather wears better than you.

Note: The Convertable helmut is not Snell approved, but it fits so well & seals so nice & I believe it will still protect me over a 3/4 helmut.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Helmet and gear all the way. I like my skin and brains too much! Have a nephew that should have died a few times in accidents but still alive because of wearing helmet and gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
BOOTS: I am new to riding and have a question about boots. Will normal black leather steel toe boots be ok to ride with or should I look for proper motorcycle riding boots?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am a firm proponent of ATGATT. I always wear my full-face helmet, my Joe Rocket Alter Ego ballistic jacket and pants, gloves, and Icon boots. In city traffic it can get quite hot. Make sure to take out the liner (if you have one) and open the vents. Once you are cruising - it feels comfortable.

Keep in mind that if you a heterosexual male - women absolutely dig guys in riding gear. Yes - chicks want to jump your bones when they see you in your gear. Not sure if its the uniform thing or battle armor look (you do really look like you are going into battle when outfitted) or that you look like a cop (I've received this comment from strangers) but I've had women make comments that suggest their ovaries are spitting eggs when they see me walking around in riding gear. :D So take that for what it's worth.

Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts