Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow riders,

I'm Sree, from India. This is my first post.

I have searched in the forum on this topic, but could not find much...so decided to create a new thread.

My job involves a lot of travelling (riding :D...lucky me!), about 50-150KM each day. I ride with my helmet all day everyday. I am sick of carrying my helmet everywhere into offices (ppl look at me like I'm a fool), coz just leaving it on the bike is a super bad idea, here in India!

I googled and found these two:
1. CBR250R KITACO Helmet holder(Black) [564-1818100] : Motorcycle Performance Parts [ENDURANCE], Advanced Racing Technology
2. SATO RACING | Helmet Lock - Honda CBR250R ('11- )

Have any of you had any experience using one of these (or similar setups) or know somebody who does?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated (new ideas are welcome too :) )!

PS: I can hang the helmet whit that stupid loop that Honda provides. But I have to do it using the helmet strap, which is very simple to cut! So that's out of the question...!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Maybe I am wrong here, but wouldn't your helmet also be held by these helmet locks by the D-ring on the end of that exact same simple to cut helmet strap? I know there are stupid criminals out there but surely even they know that once you cut the helmet strap off, the motorcycle helmet is ruined..

I have pondered buying something similar as these in the past but couldn't justify spending the cash for something that would just duplicate and be as effective as the cable under the seat

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the reply :)

You are right, the links I have posted are pretty much useless...they basically serve the same purpose as the cable under the seat...

That's why I need something that will hold the helmet around the chin part...

I park the bike more than 10 times a day, and its been quite a hassle to carry the helmet around all the time... :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Usually the D ring method is fine because you just want to discourage the casual thief. Other options are to use a full-face helmet and loop a small wire cable through the faceplate and then attach that to the helmet lock. Or get a rear rack and mount a Givi lockable hard case. But that would be expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did your bikes come with cables? Mine didn't. I have no idea how to lock my helmet to the bike. There is a metal loop under the seat but my chin strap won't reach.

·
Registered
999 Posts
What I did on mine and the last bike and will do again on the next bike is install a Helmet Guardian. It's a flat plate of metal with two locks very much like the KITACO lock attached to it on either side. The whole thing mounts on the license plate bracket behind the plate with security allen bolts. Then you have two locks, one on each side of the license plate.

It accepts D rings and also works with quick release latches like the ones used by Nolan.

It is still simply a deterrent since you need only cut the helmet strap to take it but that renders the helmet useless so a thief looking to sell it wouldn't bother.
Vandals who just want to do harm are the only real risk.

the link below is not where I got mine but has good pics of what I'm talking about.

Helmet Guardian with Locks

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Something like this might work, would still have to be held by the strap under the seat or connected to the bike somehow...this thing is actually huge, its almost 7 inches long and about 3 1/2 inches wide...dont know if it would fit thru the chin part of a full face mask or not but looks like it would. i found this on Amazon.com

Lockstraps 801 Locking Carabiner

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I did on mine and the last bike and will do again on the next bike is install a Helmet Guardian. It's a flat plate of metal with two locks very much like the KITACO lock attached to it on either side. The whole thing mounts on the license plate bracket behind the plate with security allen bolts. Then you have two locks, one on each side of the license plate.

It accepts D rings and also works with quick release latches like the ones used by Nolan.

It is still simply a deterrent since you need only cut the helmet strap to take it but that renders the helmet useless so a thief looking to sell it wouldn't bother.
Vandals who just want to do harm are the only real risk.

the link below is not where I got mine but has good pics of what I'm talking about.

Helmet Guardian with Locks
thats nice if you wanna carry two helmets...but for one...the loop provided does pretty much the same thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something like this might work, would still have to be held by the strap under the seat or connected to the bike somehow...this thing is actually huge, its almost 7 inches long and about 3 1/2 inches wide...dont know if it would fit thru the chin part of a full face mask or not but looks like it would. i found this on Amazon.com

this might just work...except for that one star rating... :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

how about this?

·
Registered
999 Posts
thats nice if you wanna carry two helmets...but for one...the loop provided does pretty much the same thing :rolleyes:
Yeah, pretty much.
It's just a lot quicker and easier than the loop provided. It's especially nice if you use a tail pack or saddle bags because you don't have to hassle with the passenger seat. Only downside to it and the ones you linked to is the additional key to carry.

I ride my bike solo 100% of the time but every time I go riding with a friend I always get asked to lock their helmet to my bike just because it's so much easier than messing with the seat & loop :)

If you want good security, get a good thick cable that's long enough to loop through the helmet's chin bar and through the bike's wheel. That way they have to take the time to cut through the cable and risk getting caught or steal the whole bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, pretty much.
It's just a lot quicker and easier than the loop provided. It's especially nice if you use a tail pack or saddle bags because you don't have to hassle with the passenger seat. Only downside to it and the ones you linked to is the additional key to carry.

I ride my bike solo 100% of the time but every time I go riding with a friend I always get asked to lock their helmet to my bike just because it's so much easier than messing with the seat & loop :)

If you want good security, get a good thick cable that's long enough to loop through the helmet's chin bar and through the bike's wheel. That way they have to take the time to cut through the cable and risk getting caught or steal the whole bike.
yeah carrying another key is a pain...I have decided to find a longer cable and wrap it around the chin bar :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts