Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Looking for suggestions from you all about a helmet to fit a friend who is looking to get into riding with me.

We've gone to the shop to try a few on, and he seems to have a round shaped head and needs a XXXL (which reduces his choices somewhat). He'd like a flip-up full face with integrated sunvisor. He wears glasses, so any visor needs to be friendly with them.

He's gravitating towards an HJC IS-Max BT. However reading some online reviews suggest that it's kinda noisy.

I've also researched a Scorpion EXO-500 (they also make a XXXL). Haven't been able to find one for him to try so if any of you use this helmet, some comments would be most appreciated.

Also, anyone who wears a full face (preferably flip), and has a integrated sunvisor other than the two I mentioned please speak up.

We're going to be attempting some day trips and when he builds his skills and confidence - some moderate weekend touring. We'll be using a bluetooth intercom system (most likely a SENA SMH10).

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Expensive

Having owned one, I would now consider a flip down visor as very handy and a pin lock fog free visor system as indispensable for touring out of town where you may not have a choice whether to keep riding in the rain. Even though I don't normally support products with pricing that seems out of line with the rest of the industry, I decided to buy the Schuberth C3 and have not regretted it. I am now agonizing again over spending the $400 they charge for a custom $200 Scala Cardo G4 system for it which costs twice as much because it is integrated right into an otherwise stock neck roll so you don't have anything hanging off of the helmet. I plan to keep the helmet forever so I guess it is worth it in the end to have the pleasure of such a high end product. Any helmet with a flip down visor control on the left will be difficult to mount the Senna because the shell will be way too thick in that area. The G4 has a stick on mount that would work but then the mic boom is still in the way of the control. I have researched, called, and researched, and will end up going with the expensive, built in system as it really is the best. For both myself and my Daughter who is my best riding buddy. Youch! $2200 for two helmets and two bluetooths. Maybe she will pay me back for her bike and gear if she gets a good job when she graduates next spring.
Schuberth C3 Helmet - RevZilla
The Nolan might be nice for a round head shape and much cheaper.
Nolan N103 N-COM Helmet - RevZilla
Noise. A little extra noise in one helmet or another may indeed be a mute point. I have come to agree with the experienced adventure touring riders on the other forums who say that you must always ride with ear plugs if you ride a lot and intend to still be able to hear in 20 years. Even with one of the quietest helmets made I will have to mod my bluetooth to use my in ear, isolating canal phones if I really want to hear my music while riding at 70mph on my commute. My helmet is generally quiet enough when running in clean air but the noise coming off the top of the windscreen is too loud for comfort when laying on the tank and would drown out the speakers if I used them.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
My husband caved this year and bought a full face hlemet.He has been a die hard wearing a skull cap, barely DOT certified. He chose the Scorpian which has a removable flip visor, inner visor that serves as sun visor if one chooses not to wear sunglasses and also a nice feature of the inner padding ability to inflate to the wearers comfort level. This year we also invested in the SENA SMH10 bluetooth device which fits nicely on the left side of the Scorpian. We've really enjoyed having this device, can pair up to four riders and the intercom is super clear. It's not like wearing earplugs but it significantly cuts down on wind and engine noise. Hope this helps. Price of the Scorpian is very reasonable as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I wear glasses with the CL-max hjc flip up. I've been wanting to try the internal shades, but I hear those don't really work over glasses. Let us know if they work for your friend.
Some people have complained that the scorpion is just not big enough for them. All the helmets are noisy in some ways. Always wear ear plugs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Having owned one, I would now consider a flip down visor as very handy and a pin lock fog free visor system as indispensable for touring out of town where you may not have a choice whether to keep riding in the rain.
I just learned about the pin lock and picked one up. But it says only for daytime use. I'm mostly a daytime rider but do some commuting after dark. Do you use the pin lock at night and have you had any problems using it at night? TIA

·
Registered
256 Posts
I not only don't mind some wind noise when I ride, I actually like it. I've never worn ear plugs and don't really feel they are necessary. Am I already deaf or what is the deal here? I don't get it. I have an expensive Nexx rx1r that is extremely nice and worth the money. It was cheaper to buy it from a sight in England and have it shipped. $340 instead of $420? I usually go XXXL but the XXL (trusted the measurements) fit perfect. They actually make the shell larger for XL thru XXXL larger. If the size isn't perfect you can order different size pads from revzilla. I was quoted $60 for a complete set of pads of a different size. Very high quality helmet with great reviews. The Carbon Fiber option is the lightest helmet on the market. My standard one is very light as well and moves through the air well. This is a very helpful guide to helmet size and shape. You should do some measuring and research using this guide.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Nexx nice

That Nexx looks very nice and worth the $400 price. A good challenger for the Arai RX-Q with smaller aerodynamics. Very compact but still with a big eye port that should allow good visibility in a tuck. It's hard to express how excellent it is to ride a helmet with really great aerodynamics and the smallest possible drag area. But, I am still a fan of my top gun flip down sun shade as I work a long day and get stuck riding directly into the sun for one leg of my commute. Both ways. And then finish the trip in darkness on the way home.
I not only don't mind some wind noise when I ride, I actually like it. I've never worn ear plugs and don't really feel they are necessary. Am I already deaf or what is the deal here? I don't get it. I have an expensive Nexx rx1r that is extremely nice and worth the money. It was cheaper to buy it from a sight in England and have it shipped. $340 instead of $420? I usually go XXXL but the XXL (trusted the measurements) fit perfect. They actually make the shell larger for XL thru XXXL larger. If the size isn't perfect you can order different size pads from revzilla. I was quoted $60 for a complete set of pads of a different size. Very high quality helmet with great reviews. The Carbon Fiber option is the lightest helmet on the market. My standard one is very light as well and moves through the air well. This is a very helpful guide to helmet size and shape. You should do some measuring and research using this guide.

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld
You have a nice quiet helmet which can get away without earplugs. There is still a long term risk especially if you get your visor anywhere near the top of the noisey screen to get out of the wind and rain. If you want to listen to music at highway speed, even with the quietest helmet you will never hear it well enough unless you go with an in ear system so I kill two birds by combining my hearing protection and sound system with canal phones

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Pin lock for day and night

I just learned about the pin lock and picked one up. But it says only for daytime use. I'm mostly a daytime rider but do some commuting after dark. Do you use the pin lock at night and have you had any problems using it at night? TIA
Not sure why they would tell you to take it out at night unless they offer a tinted version. Mine works perfectly and I would never think of taking it out. It absolutely eliminates all fogging even when there is fog evident on the screen outside it's borders. The insert must be made to fit perfectly though. If it is not sealed completely to the stock shield all the way around, it will allow some fogging from your breath. I had to turn one pin, which are made with an offset shape, to the tighter side to get the perfect seal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't necessarily need a XXXL helmet. The padding in alot of helmets can be changed out so a xxl may be fine, just adjust the padding inside.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Sendler:
Thanks for the mention of the Pinlock system. It looks quite handy definitely something that I think we're going to try. There is a colour changing lens so maybe that's the one for day use only that qlred was talking about.

As for helmet choices, I'm getting fewer and fewer real life options for him to try out as we're late season. Everyone is mid-order getting ready for the bike show for early December in Toronto. Will mostly likely do alot of trying-on there so thanks for the other brand suggestions all.

As for this "earplugs" discussion, I'm wondering how I can make that work with the Bluetooth intercom system we're planning on using. Some more comments on earplugs +/- bluetooth intercom systems would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Ear plugs

@Sendler:
As for this "earplugs" discussion, I'm wondering how I can make that work with the Bluetooth intercom system we're planning on using. Some more comments on earplugs +/- bluetooth intercom systems would be appreciated!
Web bike world does all their reviews including intercoms with their ear plugs in. They asked and Senna listened. Now Senna makes an optional mount that has a jack instead of hardwired stick on speakers for those that want to use in ear canal phones. None of the add on bluetooths will fit my Schuberth though because of the flip down visor control so I am stuck with paying the premium for the built in system. But at least I won't have the added noise of the wart on the side of my helmet.
Sena SMH10 Intercom - webBikeWorld
It would be amazing to have every piece of equipment in one store. Talk about a candy store. I'm sure I will make a trip to Revzilla in Philadelphia one day. 250 miles. Maybe as the last leg of my Saddle Sore 1000 before heading home.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I tried out the pin lock shield last night, 50f and raining which is usually pretty challenging because of my shield fogging up. I was amazed at the performance of that system.

I got the clear lens and prepped shield, about $60 total. Says it reduces light by 10%. I didn't find any problems using it at night though. If I had a holder for the lens, I would bring a shaded one along sometimes as it's pretty easy to put on.

Man o man was it slick though, tar snakes, paint lines, the dots on the road were like roller balls. Might have to go for some driving lights. I have a hard time seeing what my wheel is going to go over when there are lights from on coming traffic.

Yeah it's kind of crazy to ride at night in the rain, but I like the adventure of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Web bike world does all their reviews including intercoms with their ear plugs in. They asked and Senna listened. Now Senna makes an optional mount that has a jack instead of hardwired stick on speakers for those that want to use in ear canal phones.
Awesome! I knew I picked them for a good reason. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts