Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after I went down and a pretty bad concussion(couldn't recognize faces or remember the names of things was also knocked out for at least 15 minutes? I couldn't find notes in the medical papers and ER nurses were unable to tell me.) I started thinking about if my noggin was protected.

I had the Icon variant SEEN HERE. As you can see its quite scraped up but it protected my face from coming off.

However I also had ICON gloves and they came apart in the crash. I emailed icon and they told me they were only good for one crash and would forward the pics to their design team(implying they don't test their gear as well as they should?)
Left palm
Left knuckles
Right Palm
Right Knuckles
Is my avoidance of Icon a valid concern?

So that is making me not want to go with icon again... I loved the helmet and the air flow it gave me so I was thinking of getting another helmet like it. I have been looking at the Bell MX-9 however am open to other ideas. Preferably under $400.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use any comfortable, well-fitting, sub $60 helmet that is DOT approved. Seems it's a crapshoot as to how your helmet and head will hold up in a crash, as long as you're wearing an approved, certified, full-face helmet. I never understood the need to pay $400+ for a helmet; but to some people the extra cash makes them feel more comfortable and at ease putting it on their head.

I can assure you, anything more costly than $100 you're paying for conveniences only. Eg: bluetooth, finish, decals, quietness, etc. Safety factor will be the same. That being said, I've always found Scorpion's products to be quite good for the price point.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very scary, thanks for sharing.
The best reviews of helmets I found on
Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld
and decided to buy GMax Gm68, you can still find it on closeouts at Iron Pony website for <$50.
I see that you like off road helmets, don't they make more noise and buffeting at higher speeds and create resistance when you are turning your head?
I wear ear plugs so noise isn't a issue. I'm 6,1 so I almost always stick out above the wind protection so I'm used to buffeting. The wind resistance did take some getting used to but I guess my neck got stronger and I got used to it.

I've found helmets under the $100 range to be uncomfortable, whether it be from the pads, weight, or pressure points. Is this true with this brand?

I use any comfortable, well-fitting, sub $60 helmet that is DOT approved. Seems it's a crapshoot as to how your helmet and head will hold up in a crash, as long as you're wearing an approved, certified, full-face helmet. I never understood the need to pay $400+ for a helmet; but to some people the extra cash makes them feel more comfortable and at ease putting it on their head.

I can assure you, anything more costly than $100 you're paying for conveniences only. Eg: bluetooth, finish, decals, quietness, etc. Safety factor will be the same. That being said, I've always found Scorpion's products to be quite good for the price point.
To be honest it puts me a little more at ease spending more on the helmet than I did on my jacket or gloves. (I wasn't wearing my leather Joe rocket in the crash, maybe it would have saved me the broken clavicle or not)
And I forgot about scorpion ( my backup helmet is a scorpion oddly enough) it was their cheapest one and wasn't as comfortable as the Icon so I didn't wear it much if at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've found helmets under the $100 range to be uncomfortable, whether it be from the pads, weight, or pressure points. Is this true with this brand?
I tried more expensive helmets and I would not replace it. Mine even has an external sunshield. I can engage it while I am riding if there is a need. I will never buy another helmet without one.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I've seen cheap helmets fair badly, I've seen expensive ones fair badly, and vice versa. My friend also insisted on getting a Icon helmet. Can't remember which one it was, but it was about $300. I put it on, realized the only difference was it was a little quieter than mine, then bought another IV2. :p

·
Registered
142 Posts
ECE is the standard you want,

Pretty much the only impact testing you can see of semi current models.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHARP_(helmet_ratings)

I have an aFX $110 helmet and it's incredible for me. I have two, the one that I don't wear feels really quite tight, The other one I have 6000 miles on, is really comfy. I use the nail polish to stop the top vent from rattling, and cut the strap shorter. It also has a internal visor, it is generally decent value.... ECE is a good standard, and modern manufacturing seems to show that you will get a good helmet.

Next time, your minimum gloves should have palm sliders. Scorpion SG3 is pretty good and cheap. Also a little company called velocity gear sells gloves like that as do all the big names.

I think all the manufactures sell crappy stuff, depending on their Price point. I haven't seen an icon jacket that is better than my old fieldsheer leather jacket, and Fieldssheer is supposed to be middle of the road, not high-end.

If you think about it, being especially well protected in your gear, isn't a very big selling point. You might like it but most think it's too heavy, bulky, etc.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ECE is the standard you want,

Pretty much the only impact testing you can see of semi current models.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHARP_(helmet_ratings)

I have an aFX $110 helmet and it's incredible for me. I have two, the one that I don't wear feels really quite tight, The other one I have 6000 miles on, is really comfy. I use the nail polish to stop the top vent from rattling, and cut the strap shorter. It also has a internal visor, it is generally decent value.... ECE is a good standard, and modern manufacturing seems to show that you will get a good helmet.

Next time, your minimum gloves should have palm sliders. Scorpion SG3 is pretty good and cheap. Also a little company called velocity gear sells gloves like that as do all the big names.

I think all the manufactures sell crappy stuff, depending on their Price point. I haven't seen an icon jacket that is better than my old fieldsheer leather jacket, and Fieldssheer is supposed to be middle of the road, not high-end.

If you think about it, being especially well protected in your gear, isn't a very big selling point. You might like it but most think it's too heavy, bulky, etc.
Took a look at the AFX ??-41 and it looked quite nice. Might end up getting that instead of the Bell. It looks like it breaths better and has pretty much the same features at $50 less

Also found

http://www.amazon.com/AFX-FX-41DS-Fuchsia-Motorcycle-Helmet/dp/B00QSA0B3M/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Also found same on webbike world

·
Registered
142 Posts
Took a look at the AFX ??-41 and it looked quite nice. Might end up getting that instead of the Bell. It looks like it breaths better and has pretty much the same features at $50 less

Also found

Amazon.com: AFX ADULT FX-41DS Dual Sport Fuchsia Motorcycle Helmet L Large: Automotive

Also found same on webbike world

If I were you, I would consider the use a regular helmet not a dirt bike helmet, I do spend a fair amount of time above 70 mph and, The shorter the lever on your neck the better, that chin seems like a pretty long lever.

(For impact and aero)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were you, I would consider the use a regular helmet not a dirt bike helmet, I do spend a fair amount of time above 70 mph and, The shorter the lever on your neck the better, that chin seems like a pretty long lever.

(For impact and aero)
That's a dual sport helmet. And as I'm more than likely gonna get rid of my Husqvarna tr650 strada for a wr250r I'm hoping to do more offroading. II don't understand the lever part as in a crash all its gonna do is make your head turn off to one side. As seen with my icon Varient where really only one side was scraped up. I Also don't plan on going on the freeway for a good while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts