Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi riders,

I found this forum a month a go and been reading it...so far I enjoy learning about the bike.

My initial idea is to buy a Honda CBR250R with ABS and use as a daily commuter to work (5miles from home)

I have a few questions and would appreciate any answer to the questions:

I want a 2012 abs model and in fort lauderdale, Florida USA.

I contacted the closest dealer they don't have any and mentioned a $500markup due to demand? Really?

. What is this talk about noise after service and rpm 5-6k noise?

. What is a good motorcycle/car insurance, I want to combine them (suggestions? I will quote online once I buy the bike, anyone?)

. What price should I expect to pay?

I have read so much here that I learned a lot about the topics but haven't found pricing, insurance suggestions, in 28yrs old and issue with the engine making odd noises at 5-6000rpm.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to riding it soon,

·
Registered
879 Posts
The problem is actually a rattle in the motor. Most feel its coming from the valve train. Mine has done it from day one. The ABS model is $500.00 more has nothing to do with demand. I have the non ABS model myself. I have mine Insured with State Farm. They have the best rates out there..

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Demand is higher than supply. The dealers have been getting a $300 "delivery fee" over and above the sticker price in the hottest markets like Florida. You may find a used one. Most of the early bikes were non ABS though. Supply has been terrible all across the world. The CBR250R is a phenom. Find the nearest "Power House" dealer and get your refundable deposit in so you are in line. They have preferential treatment from Honda and get all of the supply of bikes that they want first. It could be a long wait. Like July? Maybe they can find you a left over 2011 but I doubt it will have ABS. Don't worry about the engine rattle. Hopefully your bike won't have it. It is only a small percentage of bikes that do it. There is no other bike available that can do what this bike does and get 70 mpg. Progressive Insurance has the cheapest full coverage for motorcycles by 1/2.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Marcel, Progressive is good, and may be your right choice, but no one can ever claim that one insurance company has "the best rates" in every circumstance. You are wise for looking for an insurance company that can combine your auto and bike insurance and Progressive can do that for you. HOWEVER, Progressive is not usually your best bet for the auto insurance side when it comes to price -- they do tend to be better on auto insurance if you ahve some tickets/accidents on your record. So, you may be better off not having your bike and your car with the same company. This can make shopping a little more complicated.

My suggestion, as an insurance agent with 28 years experience in the field, is to contact an independent insurance agent, but make sure they represent Progressive. They can give you the Progressive rates for both auto and bike and they can also give you quotes on various other combinations of auto and bike policies. You will probably get a better overall price this way and you definately will get better advice on proper coverage limits, how to handle a claim, and other customer service issues. Shopping online makes a lot of sense, but I think you will be better off in the long run buying from a local agent that you can trust to give you good advice and a fair price.

Florida is a kind of squirrelly state for insurance, but when you're searching for an agent, look for a "Trusted Choice" agent. Generally, those agencies have achieved that designation because of their committment to providing top-notch coverage.

Let me know if you have other insurance questions. I may not know a ton about riding motorcycles, but I do have some knowlege about how to insure them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is actually a rattle in the motor. Most feel its coming from the valve train. Mine has done it from day one. The ABS model is $500.00 more has nothing to do with demand. I have the non ABS model myself. I have mine Insured with State Farm. They have the best rates out there..
Hm... Will call some dealers, I hear mid February, which I can deal with.

I want to see one in persons before putting a deposit on it.

The Honda dealership near my house is a Honda powerhouse Rick case Honda Weston Florida. They said they are getting some in....

I wanna see ir :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Demand is higher than supply. The dealers have been getting a $300 "delivery fee" over and above the sticker price in the hottest markets like Florida. You may find a used one. Most of the early bikes were non ABS though. Supply has been terrible all across the world. The CBR250R is a phenom. Find the nearest "Power House" dealer and get your refundable deposit in so you are in line. They have preferential treatment from Honda and get all of the supply of bikes that they want first. It could be a long wait. Like July? Maybe they can find you a left over 2011 but I doubt it will have ABS. Don't worry about the engine rattle. Hopefully your bike won't have it. It is only a small percentage of bikes that do it. There is no other bike available that can do what this bike does and get 70 mpg. Progressive Insurance has the cheapest full coverage for motorcycles by 1/2.
I work near home but still taken me 20mins of traffic jam, lol there are inner roads I can opt to.... I waana do it in a 250R :rolleyes:

I think the abs will help, rains frequently in south Florida

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marcel, Progressive is good, and may be your right choice, but no one can ever claim that one insurance company has "the best

Let me know if you have other insurance questions. I may not know a ton about riding motorcycles, but I do have some knowlege about how to insure them.
I really appreciate knowing that you are a insurance expert. I tried quoting online and I can't find the option to combine the car+bike.

I still think is a good buy overall, and I see riders allover the world with a huge smile while riding, and that's what I want, I won't be doing more than the speed limit and believe this bike will suffice my needs and wants.

Will I ever outgrow it.... Probably since speed limits are 35/45/55/65/70miles per hours where I commute ..... So I think the bike will need a mid.range exhaust to improve it...

Suggestions ? Yoshimura or Akrapovic ?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Outgrow? Maybe not. A lot of the posters here have have/had bigger CC bikes and really enjoy the 250R for its lightweight handling. My last bike was a Ninja ZX9 and for fun the little 250R is more fun for the street. I literally had no where to open up the ZX9.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, the more I read and look up data about the bike... I conclude and understand how much fun this can be. and please once i get mine i will know for sure =P

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
by the way, i called some dealers today and they told me 2nd week of feb for the 2012abs model im looking for =o

·
Registered
107 Posts
Find the nearest "Power House" dealer and get your refundable deposit in so you are in line. They have preferential treatment from Honda and get all of the supply of bikes that they want first.
Or since the bike is going to be paid for anyway put deposits down at several dealerships then whichever happens to get it first you buy there and get your deposit refunded everywhere else :D

Why stand in one queue when you can stand in them all :p

·
Registered
879 Posts
I offered to give progressive the insurance on all 3 of my bikes but they could not match the rates I was paying at state farm. Maybe the rates vary from state to state.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe the rates vary from state to state.

YES! Rates are a function of the city you are in, who you are as a person (drivers history, etc), what type of coverage is mandated by the state, taxes the state charges such companies (corporate taxes are passed through to the customers of that company, high corporate tax == high consumer good costs). Even the specific city/region you are in can influence rates within the same state.

I for example pay $75/year for minimum insurance on a lower end bike, and maximally $450 or so for $300k medical, $150k property damage, etc. I get a discount for my age, where I live (few people, few claims), homeowner status, AMA membership (which exceeds the AMA cost, plus you get roadside with AMA), MSF course and probably other stuff.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
by the way, i called some dealers today and they told me 2nd week of feb for the 2012abs model im looking for =o
That's how it went for me last year. My local dealer told me April, then May, then June, then July. By then I gave up on them and found one of the first shipments around at a power house dealer around the first of July. My local dealer never got their's until September. And none were ABS. I hope you don't have to wait as long as that. They might tell you February and it will turn out to be June. If you are paying cash and find a used non ABS, grab it. If you buy it right, you can ride it for a couple years and then sell it for an ABS bike when supply catches up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Your going to have to deal with a power house dealer if you want it sooner. I was lucky enough to get my bike in the mid part of last years summer. It was only one of two that had ABS in the whole Nebraska, Kansas area.:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check all options since I will have to renew my car insurance in march and see what my options are then with the bike in the same policy or not. Thanks for the advices progressive state farm etc... :)

Now, I sent a message to some dealers here in my area and I got the same date for everyone, 2nd week of Feb. they are all receiving CBRs.... Now I just hope this is true. :eek:

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would recommend against the ABS model for two reasons:

1. There is no substitute for proper planning and braking technique. You shouldn't be putting yourself in situations where you might have to brake in an emergency. Leave plenty of space in front of you and I like to use cars as shields beside me. That way I am effectively larger and more visible. Just keep your bike in front or behind them and they can't hurt you if they merge in your lane.

2. It is a nightmare to work on the ABS bike. There isn't much space to begin with and they cram the ABS components wherever they can fit them. If you know without a doubt that you will never use a front stand, check your own valve clearance or install a new rear shock then ABS will be fine.

OK, I lied, reason #3. Have you ever needed it in your car? I've never skidded accidentally and I have never had ABS. If you skid your back wheel in a straight line on a motorcycle it is no big deal. I practiced emergency braking on all surfaces and never once activated my ABS. It takes a lot to skid a front tire.

Lied again #4. You'll have to wait forever to get an ABS model. I know of two 2011 non-ABS models near me and I'd be happy to drive one to Florida for you ;)

Just so you don't confuse me for an expert rider, I'm a new rider and I live in Seattle. If the temperature is 38+ I will ride rain or shine. Except when there is still snow on the ground...and sand...or tree debris.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a few questions and would appreciate any answer to the questions:

I want a 2012 abs model and in fort lauderdale, Florida USA.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to riding it soon,
seriously !? hit me up if you ever get the bike :cool:
see if we can answer some of those "questions" for you:D

p.s.-don't let them sucker you at the dealer ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
.... So I think the bike will need a mid.range exhaust to improve it...

Suggestions ? Yoshimura or Akrapovic ?
The midrange is good. With a non stock exhaust, it would be a good idea to think about how much would be gained against the $$ spent.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Marcel is this your first bike? A lot of old timers (who have owned both abs and non-abs bikes) recommended getting non-abs for my first one. That's what I went with. I live in Wisconsin and have rode in some pretty slick conditions and haven't any problems. Personally, I'm glad I saved the 500 bucks for other things like gear. Plus the non-abs is a few pounds lighter :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts