Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What basic maintenance is required for a bike ?
Oil Changes?
Brakes?
Lights?
Fluids?

I'm new to all this bike stuff, thought i have really taken interest, in the honda CBR250R, as i am also a huge Honda Fan.I'd really like to purchase a bike for this summer to ride, and how much work is required to maintain a simple starter bike

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Not a lot.

Take it in to get serviced as in the manual - after 1000, 6000, 12,000 km.

I change the oil every 1000-2000 km as I see no reason not to. And keep your chain clean with a clean and lube once a week or so.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
One advantage of all the modern technology on bikes like the CBR 250 R is that it makes them easy to maintain. Bikes in days of yore needed constant attention to points, carbs, tappets, chains and so on.

The CBR 250 R has an oil filter, so it can go 5 or 6,000 km between oil changes. Use the recommended grade of oil.

Older bikes without an oil filter needed an oil change every 1-2,000 km, depending on how they are used.

The chain is a sealed O-ring type so it should be good for 30 - 40,000 km, and should not require much adjustment. Lubricate it with a little aerosol chain lubricant every now and again, but it should not require much cleaning unless conditions are very dusty or muddy. Watch what you clean it with, some solvents are not kind to the O-rings". Once the chain starts to "stretch" a little it is time to replace it, and the sprokets.

The standard chain on older bikes needs more frequent lubrication and adjustment. The "stretch" is actually wear in the links. On my bigger bikes in the past I seldom got more than about 15,000 km out of a chain, and would replace the sprockets every second chain.

The fuel injection and electronic ignition should require no attention.

Brake fluid should be changed every year or so. Brakes and tyres as required.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I should add that, being a farm boy, I have usually had access to a workshop and have done most of my own maintenance. It has become easier over the years as technology has improved.

Even if you do not do it yourself, it is a good idea to learn a bit, to know what to expect when you have your bike serviced.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be an English language service manual available yet for the CBR 250 R. Hopefully that will be remedied soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
All basic maintenance will be in your Honda Owner's Manual.

Generally speaking, lube the chain with some Honda Chain Lube once a week when you wash it.

Swap out the fuel filter. Change the oil and oil filter as recommended.

If you are new, take it to a good mechanic to get the valves adjusted every 16,000 miles.

By the time you need brake fluid, brake pads, new lights etc, you should have a few riding buddies to help you out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts