Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Im new to the site, Im also a new rider. I just got my CBR bout 2 weeks ago, and it will be my first bike ever... So in having a new bike, and just learning all the procedures and saftey dos and don't of riding. I did something stupid like this, and now im dead in the water so to speak. So first off. im not even sure if im correctly calling the part i broke by its actual name...?

^

So this was the best way i could figure out to show you what part i need replaced. The part that broke is the number 3 the arrow is pointing at. So my question is, does anyone know what that part is actually called, and where in the hell can a buy a new one?!?! Thank you for your help, I just want to get back on the road again ASAP!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but there are a lot of bike shops online that have parts listings by pictures like that. I believe revzilla is a big one in america (I'm in Australia so not sure). If you have a look for parts online you'll be able to find it.

·
Super Moderator
6,934 Posts
Any Honda motorcycle dealer can order it for you (they won't likely have it in stock).

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Find the actual Honda part number for that part, and start looking around.

If you haven't taken a Basic Rider Course yet, I would asap. There are too many things to learn by yourself all at once for a new rider to be safe on the street. You need to have the basic skills and know how to operate the cycle without thinking before venturing out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, that #3 part is just rubber cover over ball-joint. Unfortunately in this case, ball-joint is integral part of #1 gear-changer arm assembly ( 24710KYJ000 ). It's staked in place to the arm rather than bolted on.

However, in cases like this, I've just drilled out the busted ball-joint from arm and replaced with generic ones. NOTE: there's left and right-hand threaded versions. Make sure you identify threading on yours. I always carry couple spare ones in toolbox when going to track. 6mm Male Female Ball Joint Rod End Bearing M6 90 Degree SQ6RS 190459650939 | eBay

Also, make sure you didn't break #9 tie-rod inside ball-joint as well. In which case, you'll need another tie-rod as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the part i hve says its lft hand threaded, well i assume thts what the L stamped on it means. And on the other side it says 6mm, so which one of these ball joint would i actually need to get. And u said u have to drill out the ball bearing portion when you get them. Thank you guys for your help...

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, drill out mounting of old ball-joint from behind gear-changer arm. Then you install new ball-joint by putting threaded section through hole in arm and tighten nut behind it. Then install tie-rod into other end.

Examine threading on broken end and figure out if it's left-hand threaded or normal right-hand threads (use right-hand rule to determine rotation and direction). Or test by threading regular M6 nut onto end of tie-rod. Left-hand threaded ball-joints are extremely difficult to find. I usually just replace both ball-joints with normal right-hand threads with new tie-rod. Adjustments are more difficult, but I only need to do it once every 20-years.

Be sure both ball-joints have equal amounts of threads engaged. And adjust length of tie-rod so both arms that ball-joint attaches to is 90-degrees to shift-rod. One goes on gear-change arm and one goes on pedal arm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts