Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 2012 Honda cbr250 r they say may need clutch work or clutch cable adjustment, I don't know much about bikes. Yesterday when started the bike everytime put in gear it died today I got rolling start it took off but very sluggish, when i shifted in could hear it shift when tried accelerate nothing but reving!! What could it be where do i start

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
First thing to check is the clutch cable free play... if it is too tight it at the clutch lever, it will cause clutch slippage. If you have the Owner's Manual, it will show the adjustment procedure.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Just got 2012 Honda cbr250 r they say may need clutch work or clutch cable adjustment, I don't know much about bikes. Yesterday when started the bike everytime put in gear it died today I got rolling start it took off but very sluggish, when i shifted in could hear it shift when tried accelerate nothing but reving!! What could it be where do i start
If it jumps when you put it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, the clutch is not disengaging. BUT, if it only revs, and doesn't accelerate, with the clutch lever out when you apply power it would suggest the clutch is not fully engaging or is worn excessively.

Both issues can make it very dangerous to ride. Something is obviously wrong, and I wouldn't ride it until you have it looked at by a qualified technician.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'd at least try to adjust the cable slack at the locknut before dragging it to the dealer. The previous owner may have ignored it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Another video on adjusting the clutch bowden cable
... there are two ends you can adjust ... make sure you retain some free play ... otherwise you will burn out the clutch ... if it's already burned out ... it's no biggy to fix new plates and gasket ... they need replacing every so often.

·
Registered
35 Posts
More ...
... it takes a while to understand it and which way to turn the nuts ... but if you work in a careful methodical manner you can do it. As he says many experienced riders also don't understand how to adjust either. Secret to all wrenching is to not be in a hurry ... just take your time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts