Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is everyone doing? So ever since i was a little kid I've always wanted a motorcycle. I finally got my first bike a little over a month ago. 2013 honda cbr250r. For the first week it ran great with no issues, then on my way to work one day I pulled the clutch in to stop at a redlight and it immediately died. It started right back up and didn't do it again for a few days. Then at the 2 week mark when trying to start it I have to give it a little throttle to get it to start and now every time I pull the clutch in to stop I have to steadily give it throttle or the bike with die. This now happens everytime I start it and anytime i pull the clutch in, I HAVE to give it gas or it dies. I changed the air filter as the old one was pretty dirty and a few days ago I changed the fuel filter and nothing. Still does the exact same thing. At this point I'm lost.
Also: the bike won't idle, when I first start it if I let off the throttle the rpms steadily go down til it dies. The only way I can keep it running is with the throttle

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Hi I7illian and welcome to the forum.
What is the milage on the bike? Have all the maintenance services been done by the previous owner? How old is the battery / the spark plug?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I've been reading through threads for a few months now but I actually joined today. 7k on the mileage. I believe battery and spark plug are factory. I personally changed air filter and fuel filter. My friend who sold it to me said he changed the oil 2 weeks before I bought it but it could have been longer. I charged the battery a few hours lastnight it just do check that off the list, it seemed to turn over a tad better but just like before it will idle for a second or so then die.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Definitely a few things that could cause that, but I would confirm your battery is good - especially if you think it's original.

Have you emptied the gas tank completely? Bad gas, or water (condensation) in the gas, can do what you described.

Oil level good? Have you done an oil/filter change?

EDIT - (as usual) I recommend running a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season to remove deposits from the injector, valves, and combustion chamber.A dirty injector might cause your problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely a few things that could cause that, but I would confirm your battery is good - especially if you think it's original.

Have you emptied the gas tank completely? Bad gas, or water (condensation) in the gas, can do what you described.

Oil level good? Have you done an oil/filter change?

EDIT - (as usual) I recommend running a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1oz per gal) once per season to remove deposits from the injector, valves, and combustion chamber.A dirty injector might cause your problem.
So the oil level is good but I'm gonna go ahead and order a new oil filter. I used techron about a tank and a half ago. This morning I went to fire it up and it wouldn't turn over. I tried giving it throttle and every few seconds it would sound like it's about to turn over then it would backfire.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
When inserting that new oil filter make **** sure you put it in the correct way. It can be put in backwards and will fit in just nicely without a warning. But if you run the bike the upper part of the engine will be starved of oil and you'll be looking for an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where is the vaccum located. Im trying anything you guys reccomend.
1. You have to find it! Spray around all joints with some carb-cleaner and notice where idle-sound/speed changes. That means vacuum-leak is sucking in mixture and that changes AFR.

2. Is throttle-plate angle set correctly for closed-throttle?

3. Also measure TPS's idle-switch. ECU doesn't automatically adjust idle-speed unless it detects throttle is closed.

4. measure inlet-air temp-sensor and engine-coolant temp-sensor. These tell ECU that engine's cold and it needs cold-start enrichment. If ECU doesn't know engine's cold, it won't inject extra petrol needed for cold-start.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So the oil level is good but I'm gonna go ahead and order a new oil filter. I used techron about a tank and a half ago. This morning I went to fire it up and it wouldn't turn over. I tried giving it throttle and every few seconds it would sound like it's about to turn over then it would backfire.
Is it spinning over rapidly as it should, but not starting, or is it barely spinning over?

I would check the battery carefully before moving on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts