Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I'm picking my bike up Saturday!

As a new rider i don't feel comfortable driving it back over 70 miles.

SO does anybody have pictures or anything to show how to properly secure the bike to the bed (08 F150).

Worst thing i want to happen is hit a bump and watch my baby fall on her side:eek:

i am going to zip tie the brake handle down to keep it from rolling.

Do i put the kickstand down?

School me on securing my CBR please!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Alright guys I'm picking my bike up Saturday!

As a new rider i don't feel comfortable driving it back over 70 miles.

SO does anybody have pictures or anything to show how to properly secure the bike to the bed (08 F150).

Worst thing i want to happen is hit a bump and watch my baby fall on her side:eek:

i am going to zip tie the brake handle down to keep it from rolling.

Do i put the kickstand down?

School me on securing my CBR please!

Thanks
2 pairs of Motorcycle Tie-downs.
. every bike shop has them, about $20-40.
and a set of Tie down assists.. (basically a short tie down with 2 loops each end)
Loop the tie down assists throught the lower triple clamp. and forward out clear of the fairing to the bed.. compressing the forks.
Do not put the side stand down.
Some tie downs have loops and you dont need the assists.

Put the 2nd set of tiedowns to the rear footpeg brackets and to the sides of the bed.
Then youve got 4 points of anchorage and sprung by the forks.

Surely your bike shop loads bikes every day of the week... they'll help.

And a ramp and a buddy to help when you get back home.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Garcia has a point lol.. why buy a motorcycle.. especially a brand new one if you cant ride it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you can ride it the first mile, you can do the rest. Pick a relatively unbusy route and keep your eyes open. The rest is pure fun.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Josh's situation depends on what those 70 miles are like. It would be different if the bike were used but a new bike has slick tires, tight brakes and a tight clutch. Plus you are unaccustomed to it unless you rode a bike recently which has all the controls in the exact same place. If it's 70 miles of country road no problem. But if it's freeways and heavy traffic it's not a bad idea to truck the bike home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pictures on the front tie down setup would be great!

Loop the tie down assists throught the lower triple clamp. <-- huh lol

My thought was we did not want to compress the forks alot?

yea i would ride it home but i'm solo atm and hard to go 70 miles without something else to drive to there! nobody to drive me down so gotta do it my self

In b4 take a cab. <-- No

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Pictures on the front tie down setup would be great!

Loop the tie down assists throught the lower triple clamp. <-- huh lol

My thought was we did not want to compress the forks alot?

yea i would ride it home but i'm solo atm and hard to go 70 miles without something else to drive to there! nobody to drive me down so gotta do it my self

In b4 take a cab. <-- No
OK I'll google a pic for ya.. but yes always compress the forks when tied down.. stops any bounce and keeps the tiedown tight.
only damage to the fork springs is if ppl leave them tied down hard over night or more... Ive carted racebikes, track bikes, dirtbikes for 35 years and never lost one except when my dog chewed thru a tiedown on the back of a ute and one YZ went bouncing down the road at 120kph lol.
ppl cart bikes everywhere every day like this, whether its on a m/c trailer, truck, crate whatever.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
http://www.planetbanjo.com/Bottom_View_triple_clamp.jpg

loop your tiedown around the lower triple clamp.

Heres a whole thread on it (many getting far more complicated than they need to lol)
Definitive Tie-down Instructions for the Wee?? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums

Should be holes in the front of the tray of your ute.. ok 'Pickup truck' lol.
Or tie down points surely?
Go in to a corner if needed to clear the fairing..(this about the only concern)
If its all too hard just ride the bastard.

Theres a guy here that does trackdays on a cbr250.. he may have picks for you???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just get a good friend who knows how to ride to ride it home for you. assuming you got insurance. I had no experience except for MSF when I got mine. I rode it around the parking lot for an hour, got used to it, then took back roads I know well with minimal traffic. It's actually true, ride one mile then you're fine if you keep it safe. Take 2 hours, take 6 if you have to.

·
Registered
400 Posts
read some of the comments,but in reality i think the best thing for you to do is buy some tie downs n what not and have the shop secure the bike on the bed of your truck.

you will need help getting it down at home of course.

if you dont feel confident enough to ride it home,then dont.and dont let anyone convince you to ride it home because they dont know how comfortable u are riding on the freeways,or how your moto skills are.

and you dont want your friend to ride it home because there is a possibility that he/she can get into an accident,then what?

of course uh ave the kickstand down,and i dont know how strong the zip ties your gonna use are.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't let anyone force you to ride home something you don't feel comfortable with. The last thing you want is an injury...let alone a broken brand new bike. Tie it down, and take your time learning. Don't get pressured into taking it anywhere you are not comfortable!

The dealership should be willing to help you tie it down. I mean if you buy the bike and tie downs from them, the least they can do is help you get it on your truck secure. If not, return it and never return to that dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it made it home in the back of the truck Just fine! lol i unloaded it at my house at 2pm just finished riding around on it off and on till 9pm I have 86 miles on it now it had 1 mile when i got it.

:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
I bought mine without ever having ridden a motorcycle and I didn't want to drive the 50 miles home either. Not exactly an ideal first ride on the interstate at 70mph.

I had mine delivered and I'm glad I did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts