Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first helmet AGV K-3 size L
it fits perfectly around my head but the cheek pad are pressing against my cheeks too tightly. My face looks swollen!! I rode in it for about 10 min a wore it but it only got slightly better, but it is a problem and not comfortable. I will return the helmet due to color but I am thinking If I go size up than the fitting around my head might be too loose.
Has anyone had experience with this before?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yep I usually have to try about a dozen different sizes and brands to find one that fits. I just went with a HJC modular, most comfortable helmet I ever had. HJC must just fit me right, also have a HJC snowmobile helmet which is a perfect fit. So you might want to try different brands too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It can be a problem - there's the size, then there's the shape... Sometimes the helmet you want is just not the shape that you need and you try to get around that by going up the size... and end up with a helmet that's too lose. Not good! You just have to be a bit flexible and be prepared to try a number of brands and go with the one that fits best rather than the one that you think looks best. Just about every time I went shopping for helmets I ended up with something else than I originally had in mind.

Having said that, padding does settle after a little while and it should feel tight to begin with. Only you can answer whether it is just tight or really uncomfortably so, but it might be worth it to persist for at least a couple of hours of riding time before taking it back.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure about the one your talking about but I know that with my Arai you can replace the inside pads with different sizes. Hence changing the fit in a certain area of the head or face........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried few brands, but I didn't notice this much pressure on my cheeks. Plus I wasn't wearing them for a long time either. I think just a little bit tinnier cheek pad would be good. Also, is there guide on which helmets fit on which head shapes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also, is there guide on which helmets fit on which head shapes?
I don't know of any really comprehensive guide. One useful source of information is webbikeworld.com - it's an invaluable resource for anyone looking for any kind of motorcycle gear! When they review any helmet they always describe its shape, and they also have this table: Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld Your helmet is listed there as it happens, and its shape is given as 'Neutral'...Of course you need to know what shape your head is for this to be of any use. Also, some manufacturers might have their own guides for their own models, I know Arai have one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
revzilla.com has alot of vids showing the features of a bunch of diffrent brands and models. I punched around on there for a while and have decied on a scorpion exo-1000. I like the drop down inner shades and the pump to fit feature. Most of the other reviews I read on it said it worked as advertised.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I bought my first helmet years and years ago I was at a Motorcycle Show in St Louis. There, I met some Arai big shot fitter at the Arai booth that claimed he sized and fitted most of the Indy drivers and a bunch of other impressive professional class racers.

When he was done with me I told him the same thing you are complaining of plus my lower ears hurt - bad. His response was "if your lips and face feel smooshed, it fits right." He insisted if you can wiggle your head inside your helmet it doesn't fit correctly.

He told me to trust him and it will start to feel better after a few weeks of riding. I took his word because of his credintials and he was so right! His booth was not selling helmets. He was just there doing the show. Since I wanted an Arai before I went to the show I was empowered to shop for exactly what I needed later.

I am on my 4th Arai helmet and for the first month each was agonizing. It hurt my cheeks and ears. But every time after "break in" - like a glove.

He was geared towards fitting professional racers in high speed situations, probably for our needs something more relaxed might do, but a crash is a crash. Banging your head on the road or a guard rail is bad. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatley Arai helmets are disgustingly expensive. A proper helmet is something I would never worry about spending too much on. It is the most important piece of protection you will ever buy.

If your new and you can get help with a fitting from someone with the right background consider yourself lucky. Any motorcycle show should have these types of representatives on hand in the accessory areas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I baught a HJC ac-12 carbon a couple years ago at the Toronto Motorcycle show. When I put it on this year I had the same problem as you. It turns out most large+ helmets accept L XL and XXL cheekpads. Baught a set of XL cheekpads and put them in my Large helmet and I got the perfect fit.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I forgot the brand i just bought,but very comfotable and it has leds in the back to be seen at nite.and about helmet size they do loosen up a lot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts