Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!

Sorry for the delay in getting this up! All sorts of things have been happening recently :O I have just about completed my thesis, I've been teaching classes at my university, I got accepted to a Ph.D. program at the University of Maryland, and I got engaged! :D Not to mention a recent trackday at Chuckwalla (and a recent high-side :p)! Busy, busy, busy...

Anyways here she is, my motorcyclist survey. It is pretty straight-forward; nothing is designed to trick you. It is through a survey website used by my university (California State University, San Bernardino) called Qualtrics. You do not have to provide any personal information, and I will not ask you to do so. I will not be able to link any responses to any participants. It is 100% anonymous. Here is the link:

http://csusbpsych.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_02IlhgIeqfNHSYY

Of course, thank you all very much for participating! The survey should not take longer than 10 minutes.
~Kyle

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey folks!

Sorry for the delay in getting this up! All sorts of things have been happening recently :O I have just about completed my thesis, I've been teaching classes at my university, I got accepted to a Ph.D. program at the University of Maryland, and I got engaged! :D Not to mention a recent trackday at Chuckwalla (and a recent high-side :p)! Busy, busy, busy...

Anyways here she is, my motorcyclist survey. It is pretty straight-forward; nothing is designed to trick you. It is through a survey website used by my university (California State University, San Bernardino) called Qualtrics. You do not have to provide any personal information, and I will not ask you to do so. I will not be able to link any responses to any participants. It is 100% anonymous. Here is the link:

http://csusbpsych.us.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_02IlhgIeqfNHSYY

Of course, thank you all very much for participating! The survey should not take longer than 10 minutes.
~Kyle
What's the survey in aid of?
Oh and congrats and condolences for the other things you've been doing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
took the survey. super anonymous. no names. help the guy out if you have 5 or so minutes! :) good luck brosef.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I felt like I was being judged… I stopped taking it and pretend like it never happened.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
With good intentions I started the survey thinking it was focused on what motivates people to ride motorcycles. I got half through and realized the first few questions regarding riding were included to appeal to this audience as the poster has asked this forum to answer psychological questions in order to complete his thesis. How convenient, hundreds of response from one forum! However, the majority of questions target the emotional and mental make-up of people in general. It is not rider/riding focused. I've come across this type of survey before defining personlity types, etc. Although this survery claims to be confidential, I ceased completing the survery. I felt I was being probed, and frankly I was uncomfortable. Sorry OP.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm assuming the survey is designed to look for characteristics common or mostly common to motorcycle riders and maybe characteristics uncommon as well. I don't have a problem with this survey, is it unreasonable to assume that people who do similar activities have similar personalities? Nope. I'll guess that people who ride motorcycles are more similar then dis-similar and that seems logical. I'm sure we express many attributes, how we categorize them as good or bad seems subjective and therefore should not make you feel like somebody is pointing a finger at you when you take the survey. As a student myself, I am happy to help you with your survey.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I didn't feel the OP was pointing a finger at me. Who I vote for, if i'm depressed or blue, think nastey thoughts about others, am easily irritated, 'get back at people', Do I trust easily or mistrust most people, do I infere bad motives all the time, etc etc has nothing to do with riding. This is a survey evaulating people's inner psychy. Simple as that. Would help if the OP identified what his major is. Anthropology? Psychiatry? Sociology? Not riding bikes:confused:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Maybe the survey is pretty much irrelevant to the OP. Maybe the real study is in analyzing how we react to taking the survey. ;) Pretty trippy, eh?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I completed it. In getting a lot of results one could establish a correlation between the types of people that ride and the way they ride.

For example:
Do those who identify themselves as conservative politically also ride conservatively? Do they have fewer tickets? Wear more protective gear? Take the MSF classes?

Or...
Do people who would identify themselves as "blue" or socially inept ride differently? Wear less protection? Ride in groups or alone?

In short, the questions are valid and I'm curious as to the results.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Maybe the survey is pretty much irrelevant to the OP. Maybe the real study is in analyzing how we react to taking the survey. ;) Pretty trippy, eh?
Now THAT would be interesting. My reaction to the survery most likely reveals I like to have all the cards on the table before I randomly take any survery or test revealing anything about me. I still think the OP grabbed hold of a convenient situation (this forum) in which he can conduct a survey in quest of his thesis. He hasn't quite participated in any discussions other than asking for our help. Nothing wrong with that. One can choose wether to participate or not. However a couple of us asked for more info re: this survery and the OP has yet to answer. Perhaps he will...

P.S. Yup, pretty trippy lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
:eek: its a survey within a survey?! haha.

I agree with the few saying its correlation between personality and riding habits. Pretty cool. I wonder what that thesis is. "Correlation of personality traits and riding habits" by Dr.Whoever? So.... I wonder if, lets say, this gets published will they have personality tests when you go get insurance because that is related to your riding habits? Thatd be cool. And creepy. But mostly cool cuz Id be a point on that graph.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Fortunately I'm too old to care which ulterior motives might be involved; unfortunately the lack of definitions for some of the protective gear (footwear, etc.; I wear Sidi Adventure Rain boots for dirt riding and touring, but pull-on work boots for daily riding-I opted for sometimes wear protective footwear).

The only aspect of "mood" portions is that if I'm feeling funky, I don't ride. That wasn't addressed, which is irritating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This brings me back to the days of running around campus begging people to participate in my research. Some days it was like pulling teeth, I wish I had thought about posting a link on a forum.

I was a bit disappointed that a debriefing explaining what was being studied and why the specific questions were asked wasn't included after the survey questions. But I guess it's not needed if the OP is not deceiving us in some way. =/

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
This brings me back to the days of running around campus begging people to participate in my research. Some days it was like pulling teeth, I wish I had thought about posting a link on a forum.

I was a bit disappointed that a debriefing explaining what was being studied and why the specific questions were asked wasn't included after the survey questions. But I guess it's not needed if the OP is not deceiving us in some way. =/
Which is my question, limited info provided...hmmmmmmm:cool:
Wonder how many other forums he posted on:eek::rolleyes:
I started answering some of the questions but didn't click on "I agree" to submit my answers. I got a third of the way through and began to feel uncomfortable so clicked out and a bar popped up saying "thank you for your answers" How bizzarre.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I started answering some of the questions but didn't click on "I agree" to submit my answers. I got a third of the way through and began to feel uncomfortable so clicked out and a bar popped up saying "thank you for your answers" How bizzarre.
Same here!! Once I got to the questions that didnt seem relevant to biking I just quit and was thanked.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
2 others that I've seen so far.

I didn't take it.

Jay

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
How would answering questions on a survey hosted by a university make you uncomofrtable? Help a guy out and answer honestly, if you are uncomfortable answering questions about yourself it shows your insecurities...
It has nothing to do with insecurities. I'm a wee bit wary with someone I DON'T know, conducting a survery I know nothing about nor was provided any info on, then submitting the results from my computer along with my IP address. Being cautious has little to do with not helping a "guy" out. I like a full disclosure before revealing info about myself. I know my faults, insecurities, strenghts and weaknesses and am quite comfortable in my skin. Thank you :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts